What I want in the Initial Release Features.

Vomika7

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
this is what i hope to achieve on the first release, so from this point on I'm working on this checklist.
(In terms of Modelling and Concepts).

Inital Alpha Release Features list

Media

Player:
complete Human male and female models.

Monsters:
Orcs - Warrior and Archer Variations.
Giant Rats.
Boars.
Spiders - Including boss, Sheila.

Weapons:
Beginner's Rusted shortsword.
Beginner's Shortbow.
Beginner's Rusted Hatchet.
Skullblade.
Orcish War Axe.
Orcish War Bow.
Flimsy Dagger.
Oak Longbow.

Armor:
Beginner's Wooden Shield.
Bronze Buckler.
Iron Buckler.
Beginner's Leather Set.
Sheila's Silk Tunic.
Sheila's Carapace Shield.
Bronze Militia Set.
Iron Militia Set.
Peasants Leather Cap.
Bronze Militia Helmet.
Iron Militia Helmet.

Maps:
Urduals Plains. (playerspawn, with plains and a hermit.)
Edana. (not quite finished version of Edana, no marketplace just yet.)
Thornlands. (A much bigger alternate of the original Thornlands.)

Coding

Gameplay:
Combat - Directional attacks, Shield blocking.
Leveling System.
NPC interaction (Shops, Small talk, *Quests)
Player trading system.

*Branching off from how MSC handled quest taking, perhaps make acquiring quests more natural.
instead of running up to an NPC with a giant question mark over his head and click accept quest.

press the interact button on him and it opens a sort of small chat window in which you talk to
him and ask keyworded questions like, how may i HELP you, or do you have any QUESTS.
kinda like Zork.

Quests:

[Urdual's Plains]
Can of worms - tutorial quest given by priests at the Urdual Temple.
Rat's off to ya! - Prove that you are capable in combat by slaying a few giant rats.
Bona Fide - Show combat certificate to Edana's Recruit Officer.
The Hermit's Blight - Help an old man dispose of his boar infestation.
Fancy Feast - the old man's cat is hungry, it likes rat meat.

[Edana]
Let's turn this up to 11 - Best the Recruit's Top warrior.
Combat Mastery - Take officer's Reccomendation letter to King.
Forgetful Bookworm - Help a peasant retrieve his book from the Thornlands.
What about Rain, Sleet or Snow? - Help a wounded postman deliver the mail. (introduces you to the Pub, Magic Shop, Blacksmith, Currently Closed Marketplace and Kings Quarters.)
Pursuit of Leather - Help Blacksmith find leather to keep up with Militia's Armor demands. (can be done 5 times)
Royal Suspicions - A Gaurd thinks that the prince is conspiring against the king, find out the truth for him.
Shiela - The King offers you a large reward to Slay Shiela.
Thornsprouts? - Help the Herbalist by collecting Thornsprouts.
That's gross - Take back Shiela's carapace to the Blacksmith.

[ThornLands]
These Damned Orcs - Help the militia by tearing through a few orcs and bring their decorative skulls back as proof.
Lost Ring - Help a Farmer recover his ring from the Spider pit.
Where's my holy hand grenade? - Help the Farmer Rid his farm of pesky rabbits.

What do you think?
any objections?

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Re: Initial Release Features.

Don't call the thread "initial release features", lest people think it's an official release manifest. Also, we don't have any quests done yet, who gave you permission to post this? You're speaking as if you're the one deciding the future of MS:S.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Orochi said:
Don't call the thread "initial release features", lest people think it's an official release manifest. Also, we don't have any quests done yet, who gave you permission to post this? You're speaking as if you're the one deciding the future of MS:S.

AwesomePerson said:
reading for comprehension, this is a good thing.

Also Vomika has done quite a good work so far, hope he proceeds with his actual plan. Because it's the 2nd time i got any interest on Ms:s so far, and this was because of the things he said and done recently.
Though the things i've seen from Ms:s were not much *i think* since i rarelly even bothered checking the Ms:s boards for news and other stuff.

I'm looking forward to that armour list. :wink:

Vomika7

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

I'm sorry Orochi I'll change the title but from my point of view development on this mod has become stagnant, i haven't seen any actual updates since February.
Do you have a recent list of active devs on this team and what they do?

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Check who's in the Source Developers usergroup, that's the lot of us for now. Development is progressing, albeit slowly.

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
My question is twofold: Is this a wishlist, or are you now heading up your own project?

As for active developers, I'm the Mod Lead. I'm coordinating the work to be done and mapping hardcore on Edana and soon the Thornlands.

There's also currently a Texture Artist and a Sound Designer who are active, but only in correspondence with me at the moment. While I'm working hard on making Edana ready for release, our Texture Artist is doing some phenomenal work to pretty up the place.

Orochi is working on the engine and coding work.

I'm also fielding applications for new members behind the scenes as well.

No, I haven't been posting media. Yes, that is intentional. The next time there is something to show, it will be significant. No more stalling. No more crap.

Work is happening. Nothing I'm willing to show yet. Go ahead, hate me. I don't mind ;)
As long as you play the mod when it's released, I'll forgive you.

You've got a lot of moxie, Vomika. If this were the 1950s, I would probably say something similar to "I like your style" and do the little chin check thing. 'Tis a mighty list of high and lofty features, indeed. By no means does this list dictate what will be in the first release though. I suppose that's my word on the matter at hand.

Vomika7

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
got it, what can i do?
i dont like blindly making stuff that could already be in production, whats the dev teams wishlist.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Personally Im fine with the team not showing media until its done and is a significant progress, instead of building hype over future projects as if it was some popularity contest.

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
FER said:
Personally Im fine with the team not showing media until its done and is a significant progress, instead of building hype over future projects as if it was some popularity contest.

I wish everyone shared your sentiment.

Vomika7 said:
got it, what can i do?
i dont like blindly making stuff that could already be in production, whats the dev teams wishlist.

What are your strengths? Obviously Concept Art and 2d Art. Can you model though? If so, can you also rig them for animation, or animate them as well?