whats one thing you like about msc and one thing you would..

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
whats one thing you like about msc and one thing you would change?

Ill go first... Old school graphics - graphics styles clash..

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Re: whats one thing you like about msc and one thing you wou

I love the grind for items... No joke it's why I love the crap out of Cookie Clicker and Borderlands.
I would change the Phoenix Bow to be not as garbage. My favorite weapon but the uses end at it looking cool.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

ceriux said:
whats one thing you like about msc and one thing you would change?

Ill go first... Old school graphics - graphics styles clash..
Not that it isn't a valid complaint...
ceriux-did-we-ban-him-for-irony.png
...but it *really* isn't one that any self-proclaimed modeler, much less the one who gave us the slime_ceriux.mdl, should be making. :p

(Not that it isn't adorable, but come on...)

We take what we can get. Ya wanna fix it...? Get cracking!

(Also, if this is about the new elves, people entered and finished university and raised their kids into toddlers in the time we've been waiting for new elves, and Hush spent $100+ on em to boot, so shush.)

greatguys1 said:
I love the grind for items... No joke it's why I love the crap out of Cookie Clicker and Borderlands.
I would change the Phoenix Bow to be not as garbage. My favorite weapon but the uses end at it looking cool.

Also somewhat ironic, as that bow was made by the last scripter in training who reached the advanced stage. (CrazyMonkeyDude)

He designed it to be a situational weapon, in that it's only supposed to useful if you can shoot at a whole lotta targets from very far away, describing the concept as a "siege bow".

It's been boosted several times, but yeah, still needs something - but something that won't violate that theme. (Aye, there's the rub!)

What I'd suggest, rather than simply raising the distance-damage-gain multiplier yet again, is to rig it up so it does more damage based on how many targets are caught in the blast. (Maybe +20% per additional target beyond the first.)

Looking at how the script delivers damage though, I suspect it'd be hard to rig up. I think you'd have to change it so it operates more like some of the newer arrows, where the damage is handled on an external within the player's script. Maybe that can be your next scripting puzzle. (So, yeah, like I said to Ceriux, "fix it yourself" - save without the bile - or the need to make 724 models worth of new artwork.)

...as for myself...

Like?

That this is a community built mod that so many people have poured so much of their love into. It's a sprawling, beautiful, and chaotic conglomerate of fantasy RPG fan jizz. (Yeah, that's an edit, but quotable.)

It's just so damned old school adorable, and kinda lets me experience nearly all my favorite things about all the dead Half-Life mods all at once. For all the pitfalls, there's a lot of potential here, and the damn thing just keeps going...

Change?

Probably the fact that it took me nearly ten years to get the game this far, yet I'm still so far behind where I want to be, and that it would take me twice that long to remake MSC from scratch into my liking, even without learning new tools.

Second prize goes to the game mechanics... By the gods I hate the game mechanics of MSC. But alas, if I butcher them, it won't be MSC anymore, and if I move onto something like MSS, where maybe I can design my dream game, there won't be any MSC. Coupled with the above reality... Inconsistent mechanics and models is my home now. ;)

(Though when we get dwarves and elves as player classes, I might at least get to see new leveling mechanics.)

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score

common thothie how long ago did i submit that model xD i made that before i even really knew how to model.

iv made a helmet and a hat that are fairly consistent with the player model =(

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score

ceriux said:
common thothie how long ago did i submit that model xD i made that before i even really knew how to model.

iv made a helmet and a hat that are fairly consistent with the player model =(
best hat and helmet in game

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Sry, I was in a mean mood, wasn't I? Dunno about the helm o dead, but yeah, that hat is my favoritest in the whole game. Think it's in the history somewhere.

Seriously though, if you wanna help, we've got no dedicated modeler at the moment. I can animate a bit (very slowly) and skin (like a madman, if you got the UV), but I'm limited to Milkshape and thus models from scratch and rigging are nearly beyond my privy.

...I dunno why I can't wrap my head around the 3DSMax themed modeling programs.

Granted, another reason for the model inconsistency, is even when we've had dedicated modelers (and we've had a lot), "dedicated" isn't really the word. They all just made whatever they felt like, and then we stuck it in. I think FER was the only one to ever take specific requests, and even then, only a handful. (Although Orochi also did a lot of consolidation work under the whip.)

This is a community built mod really - which I probably shoulda put on my #1 like. We're very unprofessional. ;)

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score

Oh! Oh! Oh! Me next! Uhh, my most favoritest thing in the game world is umm... the easter eggs and secrets in the maps. :)
And one thing I would change would have to be the food, or rather the lack of food. We all can't live on apples, just me. :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2276
In 2006 Jax said:
Instinctively, everyone looks at the surrounding stuff when told to look at one spot. Jhaxavier checked the lines above just for a second:

July 25

6:00hrs| Woke up, had fried apples and boiled apples for breakfast.
6:30hrs| Took random potshots at trolls in ravine. Stones thrown at.
8:00hrs| Explored a cave, was attacked by Blackhand Orcs.
8:30hrs| Escaped cave into the main Orc camp.
8:30hrs| ________
I've been taking it virtually as part of the lore at this point. ;)

(or at least as an on-running gag.)

[blah, lemme try to clean up the unicode on that...]

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score

Regorty said:
Oh! Oh! Oh! Me next! Uhh, my most favoritest thing in the game world is umm... the easter eggs and secrets in the maps. :)
And one thing I would change would have to be the food, or rather the lack of food. We all can't live on apples, just me. :D

I like the easter eggs too :)

Hush

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

One thing I like is, that MS:C (and it's predecessor without the ":C") kinda accompanied me a not insignificantly part of my life now and it still makes a lot of fun to play it until today. :)

The thing I would change - well, the spellcasting skill feels a little obsolete after you reached higher levels, because most of the weapons you wield can almost either cast the same spells or even better ones (with a few exceptions like healing circle or rejuvenation). So I would appreciate some more exclusive and a little more powerful spells for the spellcasting skill.
Maybe the upcoming earth magic skill will change that, so I am really looking forward to it.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

I love the atmosphere, especially with the dynamic music areas and the fact that you can write in chat to NPC's, who will then answer in chat.

I would like to change the lag when crouching. I have no idea how that symptom even appeared in the first place, but it is my biggest pet peeve.

:roll:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Jelly said:
I would like to change the lag when crouching. I have no idea how that symptom even appeared in the first place, but it is my biggest pet peeve.
I... Don't get lag when crouching, unless there's something real close to my head (ie. I'm in a "vent"), or I'm on a func_wall. Granted, in the case of the vent, that's also when it's most infuriating.

My guess is, it's the fact that the player model in MSC is of slightly different virtual dimensions and step abilities than is Gordon Freeman. (In layman's terms, apparently G. Adventurer's legs are longer than Mr. Freeman's, as Adventurer can walk up a step a few units higher without jumping.) This might screw with the client prediction between client and server when predicting hull collisions - as the engine has a different idea as to what the player's collision box is than the DLL's do. Thus, the server is correcting by knocking the client back a few inches every few frames. Not sure why it only affects the crouch/entity hull though (yeah, there's actually a separate hull for that).

I'm not sure if we could fix that, without access to the engine, without also changing fundamental rules about the player size that a lot of maps depend on. Shuriken did have am idea for a fix for it when on a func_wall, but alas.

Also, in regards to your sig... We actually fiddled with BitBucket - seems it's a bit of a scam. For one, the only convenient system they have involves a bit of proprietary software that expires if you don't cough up cash per station (GitLab similarly). More importantly, however, said software seems to have unicode issues. Took us awhile to realize there was a problem with the master code we put up, when it lost a bunch of odd characters. (Some of which, sadly, ¯Dogg¯ was fond of.)

I don't think the others provide free private repositories. Games like this, in the long run, need private repositories.

Granted, there's no point in a repository at all, if you only have one or two coders - just need a cloud backup and version tracking, which is easy enough to do manually. Seeing as we kinda sorta have three amateur coders that come and go, at the moment, however, bleh... Half tempted to try to code up my own, now that we have SSL. Seriously, it's such a simple thing and every one of these outfits fsks it up by overcomplicating it in one way or another. Just sync us up, keep a history, and make sure we don't step on each other's toes - there's wiki's that do this, why can't these guys? >< Git in general is often more suppository than repository, if you know what I mean.

Although thanks for bringing the chat thing up... I find that annoying myself, and have been trying to move to menu entries. I'll keep your fondness for the chat interface in mind.

Veltex

New Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score

I like the fact that the game is a first person fantasy RPG mod for a game that's almost 20 years old and people still play

now 'if' only we could transfer the game over to sven-coop or something (or whatever the next patch is about transferring the game over to a improved HL1 engine)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

w399.jpg

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie said:
I... Don't get lag when crouching, unless there's something real close to my head (ie. I'm in a "vent"), or I'm on a func_wall. Granted, in the case of the vent, that's also when it's most infuriating.
Not lag, but a seizure. If you crouch on an entity, your camera goes up and down wildly. Like multiple times per second. I think this can happen with a lot more entities than just func_wall.

What are the dimensions of standing and crouching players exactly, anyway? And why not just change them back to 32×32×72 (hull #1) and 32×32×36 (hull #3)? I doubt there are jump puzzles in current MS:C maps that would become impossible if you did that.

Veltex said:
now 'if' only we could transfer the game over to sven-coop or something (or whatever the next patch is about transferring the game over to a improved HL1 engine)
YES

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

MS:C community said:
What are the dimensions of standing and crouching players exactly, anyway? And why not just change them back to 32×32×72 (hull #1) and 32×32×36 (hull #3)? I doubt there are jump puzzles in current MS:C maps that would become impossible if you did that.
(checks) Ya know, bugger... That seems to be what it says it is... But I know the MSC player can get stuck inside all sorts of things that Gordon can't, and visa versa. *shrug* Maybe Dogg did something with the hull... Wish I could remember what Shuriken said his theory was...

I also know the MSC player can freely climb 16 unit stairs though, while Gordon's limit is 13. Given that nearly every walkable staircase in MSC was built with this in mind, I don't think you wanna break your thumbs jumping up them all just to avoid crouch lag.

...and as to the other thing, we're working on it, damnit. :p

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie said:
I also know the MSC player can freely climb 16 unit stairs though, while Gordon's limit is 13.
The standard Half-Life maximum step size is 18 units.
Edit: http://twhl.info/tutorial.php?id=40 (accurate except for that 'eye level' thing; standing eye level height = 64 units, crouching eye level height = 28 units, i.e. eye height is a whopping 8 units below the total height)

...yet, sadly, the staircase in tundra, in that little shrine, uses even taller steps. So if you wanna worry about fixing a stair in an MS:C map, fix that one. I doubt even a mountain goat could climb that staircase :p
Actually, I'd prefer if you just deleted that map in its entirety, but hey, that's just me.

The only thing I can think of that might have messed up the hulls/collision boxes is that someone made the hullshapes non-cuboid... like a pyramid, for example. However, given that it's still easily possible to stand on ledges or on other player's heads, I doubt this is the case.
Have you ever tried compiling a map with a hullfile that contains the standard values? Or perhaps using vluzacn's info_hullshape entity?

Edit: Are you sure the size of a crouching MS:C player is 32×32×36 units (the default) and not 32×32×32 units? I know you said you just checked it, but this one might be easy to overlook. And it sure as hell would explain why the first person camera only spazzes out when you crouch.

Edit (wow another edit): And if you really are going to move to the Sven Co-op 5.0 Engine, be sure to append liblist.gam:
[url=http://www.svencoop.com/manual/changelog.html:3koc8evm]The Sven Co-op 5.0 changelog[/url] said:
Maximum world size: Raised to +/-131,072 from +/-4,096: Only enabled if the game's liblist contains largemap_aware, as the game will need to be built use different data types for handling co-ordinates.

Edit 2: Sorry for derailing the thread >.>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Nah, 'sall good... If we can fix a hate, not entirely OT anyways...

I may have been distracted by dat elven ass, but yeah, that definitely says 36.

Dunno what'll happen if I make it 32. Plan was to make the dwarven height 36.

Lemme decompile Gordon and see if maybe there's some issues in the models... (edit: nope)

Hrmmm...

Noted the liblist.gam, I suppose we should axe the commandargs "-num_edicts 1500" line too, in case it mysteriously starts working again.

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Err one last thing about that potential move to Sven: It should be
Code:
largemap_aware "1"
and not just
Code:
largemap_aware
(I just checked the actual liblist.gam file in Notepad).

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score

My favorite thing about this mod is Lanethans music and lore.

Actually, I'd prefer if you just deleted that map in its entirety, but hey, that's just me.
My least favorite thing about this mod is Tundra.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Whaddya wanna do to Tundra?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

I shall rephrase... :p

What do you hate about Tundra, and what would you like to seen done to fix it? (Yes, other than deletion.)

Personally, I've always found it kind of a typical high end map - if a bit lengthy. That jump sequence, yeah, annoying - but I'm entirely to blame for that. If that's it, I could just make it an ice ramp.

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

I shouldn't wreck this thread any further so my reply is here.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Well, personally, I think it was on topic, and I'd love to have a thread where we just point out issues and fix stuff, as well as avoid breaking stuff folks like, but...