will you continue to play ms:c when/if source comes out?

OpsMiller

Adventurer
Reaction score
or will it be an ultra dead mod..
discuss.

think i will continue.. for all the hours i put into it. even if the source mod is amazing. hopes its amazing

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Yes, probably only because I prefer the Goldsrc engine to Source. And I have no idea what the Source mod will be like! :?:

Shadeska

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Here's the dealio-yo-yo.

MS:C is doing very well for a completely unique GoldSrc mod. You guys have, what? 20 forum users online frequently and more than that in-game? Even the original HL's multiplayer numbers are miniscule now compared to what they previously were. The original CS is now played only out of habit or by persons refusing to acknowledge Source.
With MS:S, once the devs get out a working version of the game for the whole of ModDB to play, it MUST be declared a beta version and any servers currently running MS:C should be temporarily re-serviced for MS:S until a good amount of dedis are up. Once a decent number of maps have been added, go ahead and call it a full release. Perpetual beta is not conducive to the health of the playerbase :\

Afterwards, MS:C servers can be put back online, no one will have complained about a lack of places to play, no "ZOMG when will beta end?" and hopefully we'll have spammed enough places with articles, ads, and forum posts to garner enough notoriety to finally make it the single best MORPG for HL2.

Did I PR right?

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Shadeska said:
and any servers currently running MS:C should be temporarily re-serviced for MS:S until a good amount of dedis are up. [...]
Afterwards, MS:C servers can be put back online
Allow me to be the first one to say: I think this is a bad idea.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Well, his views do not represent the views of the MS:S team in its' entirety, so don't think we're going to do them for certain.

OpsMiller

Adventurer
Reaction score
Shadeska said:
Here's the dealio-yo-yo.

The original CS is now played only out of habit or by persons refusing to acknowledge Source.

and hopefully we'll have spammed enough places with articles, ads, and forum posts to garner enough notoriety to finally make it the single best MORPG for HL2.
hmm
you almost had it with the CS example.. source mod made cs too easy. a lot of ppl play cs 1.6 for the skill/knowledge of the game. source mod is very buggy. one main problem is props: you step on a milk crate or a table and you get all jumpy and crouchy. not sure how to explain it but if you played source then you definitely experienced it.

And thothie and the guys dont want to spam the game mainly because of the amount of trolls that'l come out of it. this game is very.... trollable? :p but idk about source mod.

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
MS:S is a completely separate entity (save for cross team members and help) and as such, "re-servicing" the servers isn't going to happen. That's not fair in the slightest to the MS:C community, and I'm sure there will be plenty of players and love to go around once both mods are swimming in the same pool of released-ness. I know I'll be playing a good bit of MS:C even after the release of MS:S...

Shadeska

New Adventurer
Reaction score
thesupersoup said:
MS:S is a completely separate entity [...] I'm sure there will be plenty of players and love to go around once both mods are swimming in the same pool of released-ness. I know I'll be playing a good bit of MS:C even after the release of MS:S...

That's the idea. They're two completely different games, both will get played. It's just that MS:S is the newest and therefore the best chance for attracting a larger community. It'll look nice for new players to come to the mod and see several servers up and lots of places to play instead of wondering, "Where do I go?" while we explain that all of our servers are dedicated to the old mod played by a max of 50 people.
I love MS:C. Played it since I was 12, now 18. I don't want it to die out and I simply feel this is a good way to inject new life into it - through a newer and lifeier medium.

OpsMiller said:
And thothie and the guys dont want to spam the game mainly because of the amount of trolls that'l come out of it. this game is very.... trollable? :p but idk about source mod.

I believe if you look at any threads involving Thoth, MiB, or any other dev's opinion on advertising and reaching out to communities to attract players, it'll be the exact opposite as you've just described. I'm just going on memory here right now, so if anyone will rummage through their posts to find whatever I'm probably thinking of, it'd be much appreciated.
You can't exactly "troll" a game. You can only troll the community. Hurts to say it, but this is a very trollable community. Any game will have griefing players. Let the server admins handle it like they always have. Every troll MS:C has had has been of legendary re-known. Why is that? Because we've had such a relatively small number of them, so much so that everyone remembers them extremely well.

kk done.
tl;dr

My opinion on servers is mine and is right to me.
CS's server migration is a good example.
Trolls are everywhere. They may easily be weeded out from the good players. Don't worry so much.

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Shadeska said:
That's the idea. They're two completely different games, both will get played. It's just that MS:S is the newest and therefore the best chance for attracting a larger community. It'll look nice for new players to come to the mod and see several servers up and lots of places to play instead of wondering, "Where do I go?" while we explain that all of our servers are dedicated to the old mod played by a max of 50 people.
I love MS:C. Played it since I was 12, now 18. I don't want it to die out and I simply feel this is a good way to inject new life into it - through a newer and lifeier medium.

Excuse me for perhaps beating the proverbial dead horse, but I don't see the problem in *gasp* not touching the MS:C servers upon release. I feel quite confident that so doing won't inhibit the formation of servers for MS:S in the slightest. There seems to be the belief that MS:S is going to be something akin to the new version of the same mod, but really it's far closer to it's own, separate game entirely. For the most part, MS:S will (hopefully) take on a whole new community entirely. There will undoubtedly be crossover players, but I'm looking forward to seeing a new and hopefully large group of players crop up, especially given the different approach to pacing, combat, and other gameplay elements we'll be taking. Try to get in on that Action RPG playerbase :wink: (Oblivion, Dark Messiah, etc.)

Ironic that upon exiting my Communication class, I come here and take part in what I believe is an ongoing miscommunication :p

DarkWasp

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
I think the development of MS:S might draw people to MS:C. I think by that stage we might have our own site and forums again, but I imagine it would link back here. New people who want to play MS:S could come to the site and see that there is a "MS:C" which is already out and they might come try it. If they like RPGs they'll be hooked. We certainly are going to have high standards to live up to with MS:S.

In general, MS:S and MS:C should benefit each other. However, if we draw in trolls, don't blame us, blame Valve. They probably released something really popular that re-lit the source flames.

Speaking of servers. Perhaps we can find a way to integrate elements of MS:C and MS:S into each other in a way that makes playing both desirable.

There's my thoughts.

OpsMiller

Adventurer
Reaction score
ill pay for a server for source.. monthly and what not..
just put the name Ops in it somewhere lol
$1.49 a slot or something? (judging off of CS:s servers)
10 slotted is like $15 a month.
yes. and I'll get a vent with it. I'll have sub channels for guilds and regulars.. and the info on the vent server will be displayed timely in the server!
im all excited now..

OpsMiller

Adventurer
Reaction score
ok next topic is red cell's mum.

I'd smash

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Did OpsMiller just derail his own thread? lolololololololol

okay next topic is opsmiller's mum.

I'd cannibalize

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Wat is this I don't even

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Well, his views do not represent the views of the MS:S team in its' entirety, so don't think we're going to do them for certain.
Doesn't the MSS team have to, you know, be the guys who host the servers to make this kind of a decision? xD

I don't think Source will kill MSC. The old community is not likely to abandon it and MSS will probably actually bring new players to msc, at least temporarily.

thesupersoup

Adventurer
Lead MSU Developer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
I don't think Source will kill MSC. The old community is not likely to abandon it and MSS will probably actually bring new players to msc, at least temporarily.

This.

TheOysterHippopotami said:
Doesn't the MSS team have to, you know, be the guys who host the servers to make this kind of a decision? xD

I think in this case, the discussion was more about theoretically if that were to happen. The server changing and all. At least, that's how I saw it, 'cause that's a ridiculous idea.