Fix that seam in his toe!
(And neck?)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I dun wanna jinx this, but I'm not holding my breath until I see an SMD. Far too many modeler's playing with my feelings while pretending they believe in commitment! I'm not that kinda girl!!! :oldcry:

Should point out that the orc, in particular, requires a lotta extra work, for there are many variants:
Hats - Scout, Recruit, Archer, Shaman, Chieftain
Chests - Nekked, Cloth, Archer+Quiver, Armored, Mecha-Armor (Thuldahr.mdl)
Weapons/Props - Blackhand: Unarmed, Axe, Longbow, Steelbow, Shortsword, Blood Axe, Shortsword+Shield; Marogar (morc*.mdl): Lesser Ice Blade, Ice Blade, Greater Ice Blade, and Huge Ice Axe; Shadahar (sorc*.mdl): Lightning Axe, G.Lighting Axe, Uber-Axe (Thuldahr.mdl), Blood Drinker, Beef, Beer, Smith Hammer
(+toggle-able arrow on separate model group)
Skins - Blackhand, Demonic, Poisoner/Voldar, Marogar, Shadahar, and Zombie (skins also affect armor/clothes/weapons)

Size Variants:
Blackhand Large - Global Scale 1.25, Scale Mesh 1.1, Scale Bones 1.0
Shadahar Standard - Global Scale 1.5, Scale Mesh 1.1 Scale Bones 0.9
Shadahar Large - Global Scale 2.5, Scale Mesh 1.2, Scale Bones 0.9
Shadahar Huge - Global Scale 3.5, Scale Mesh 1.3, Scale Bones 0.9 (Same for Marogar chief)
Shadahar Thuldahr - Global Scale 3.5, Scale Mesh 1.1, Scale Bones 1.0

Plus you're going to have fun doing all the animations again. The Morc Chief has an insanely slow overhead swing. The larger orcs tend to swing low, with similar, though slightly faster, overhead swings. The sorcs have various social animations (layabout lounge, chair sit, lay wounded, smith, 2kneel, kneel_idle). If you wanna do an undead shuffle for zombie orcs, that'd be kewl too, and I can integrate that. (Nevermind borsh.mdl, just, leave that for nostalgia as originally intended, I suppose.)

So... Yeah. :\ But, if I get so much as a usable SMD mesh out of this, I suppose I can go from there.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
^Way to go, now he probably ran off after reading that... i would! :p

SpiritVII

New Adventurer
Reaction score
No, I completely understand. Actually I was waiting for the specifications Thothie pointed out as that will help me with the different bodygroups. So yeah.. still workin' on it ;)

SpiritVII

New Adventurer
Reaction score
borc_legs.jpg

borc_legs.jpg (Blackhand)

morc_legs.jpg

morc_legs.jpg (Morogar)

sorc_legs.jpg

sorc_legs.jpg (Shadahar)

vorc_legs.jpg

vorc_legs.jpg (Voldar)

zorc_legs.jpg

zorc_legs.jpg (Zombie)

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Am furiously looking for a pair of pants suitable to contain my erection right now.

Caluminium

Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
LOL This is looking great, keep it up!

SpiritVII

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Orc_Male_head.jpg

Got the head done, helmets and stuff coming later...

I managed to get some more of the rigging done, and I have a few little surprises in the rig as well.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Dunno about that head... Dunno if you could adapt the existing face texture or some portion thereof. Seems the original face texture had quite a bit more depth and menace to it, and just suffered from poor dithering.

Orcface_sorc.jpg
Orcface_porc.jpg
Orcface_dorc.jpg
Orcface_orc.jpg
Orcface_morc.jpg
Orcface_zorc.jpg

Also, I dunno if you want the source images for the original tatoos and magical symbols on the Sorcs and some of the other subtypes.

SpiritVII

New Adventurer
Reaction score
borc_head.jpg

sorc_head.jpg

morc_head.jpg

vorc_head.jpg

udorc_head.jpg

Still working on the zombie head, I might hollow the eyes and mouth out with alpha transparency and put a small mesh behind it. Was also going to add scales to the vorc. I'm also aware I need to create at least one more set containing the red lizard looking orc, mecha orc might be a different model file.

BTW, how many skingroups can be placed into a .mdl file?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Not hit the limit yet, so I'd be guessing 255. Though the size of each skin group (how many textures are defined) maybe a factor.

There's also a limit as to how many textures you can stick inside a model, but the number there doesn't seem to be consistent, nor does it necessarily seem to be dependent on texture size. Very confusing that.

Not that we can't break it up into more models if need be.

edit: Looking at the Studiomdl source, there's no defined limit for the number of skin groups (beyond "int", but I'm sure the prog will smash well before you reach 32,767), though each skin group is limited to 32 textures, and each texture name to 32 characters.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Wait, I'm a retard with no intellisense™...

Code:
 #define MAXSTUDIOTRIANGLES	20000	// TODO: tune this
#define MAXSTUDIOVERTS		2048	// TODO: tune this
#define MAXSTUDIOSEQUENCES	256		// total animation sequences
#define MAXSTUDIOSKINS		100		// total textures
#define MAXSTUDIOSRCBONES	512		// bones allowed at source movement
#define MAXSTUDIOBONES		128		// total bones actually used
#define MAXSTUDIOMODELS		32		// sub-models per model
#define MAXSTUDIOBODYPARTS	32
#define MAXSTUDIOGROUPS		16
#define MAXSTUDIOANIMATIONS	512		// per sequence
#define MAXSTUDIOMESHES		256
#define MAXSTUDIOEVENTS		1024
#define MAXSTUDIOPIVOTS		256
#define MAXSTUDIOCONTROLLERS 8
So 100 skins is actually the limit. I think that's groups, however, again, each group being limited to 32 entries of 32 chars.

Mind you, these numbers may not match up with the more modern versions of studiomdl.exe, as this old version doesn't even handle texture render definitions (such as "additive" or "masked"). Don't think it does chroming either.

I'm curious if I can break the bone limit by recompiling this though. That'd be useful in our model consolidation, if the Half-Life engine can actually handle it in turn.

One limitation not listed here, is a limit of four Attachments. The model will compile, but it will go smash in any Goldsrc game.

How textures are limited is still a mystery, but the compiler will crash if you put in too many. It has no internal protection to avoid it.

You can break the verts and triangle limits by adding multiple bodies, though I don't recommend going crazy with that - certainly not on the prone-to-swarm orc (also makes the model difficult to load back in from the SMD - having to import as multiple parts).

And while I'm at it... Here's some of the source materials for artwork used on the current orcs:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/orc_stuff.rar (~3MB, some PSD format)