Customizable face

thenewb

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hello, i wonder if it was possible to add many faces for have a custom character to have different faces between us that allows us to differentiate.

Thanks for reading.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I wish... A long time ago, MiB went on an epic crusade to get the submodels to display correctly across clients on the player model, a crusade the spanned maybe seven separate patches, and to this day, they still tend to screw up a lot, despite all his efforts.

When I mentioned the thought of doing the same for skins, he gave me the same look my ex gave me, just before she pulled out that gun. ><

There's also the issue that the more submodels we stack onto the model, the more likely it is to develop the submodel scramble bug - and as it's made up of five submodel sets, it's particularly vulnerable to it (may actually be part of the problem).

So... Yeah... Unless we can find a way to address those issues and limitations, as much as I'd love it to happen, I dun think it can. :oldcry:

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
We can't even have different player models all together that have a different face?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Possibly, but that adds to the media count, and a lot of the maps will push that to its limit as it is. For every model/sprite slot used up, we lose edict space, thus making the more model/sprite heavy maps that much less stable. (Which is why we have all this complex model consolidation - such as the bear/wolf/pig/rat.)

Suffice to say, not worth it just for custom faces. We will probably have to add new models for dwarves and elves, eventually, as it is.

I'm also a tad worried that we're reaching some sort of texture limitation. :\

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
are you sure? arent textures embeded into the models? they arent external? why would a texture take up extra space?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Textures don't eat up models/media slots, but they do eat up their own memory. I suspect part of the reason we're getting texture scrambles, is because it's running out of space in whatever area it defines for textures, and thus repeating assigns of old textures when it needs to load new ones - especially if they are large, and it can't find a spot for them (which would explain why the larger textures tend to eat it first).

We've got, by far, far, and away, more textures preloaded than any other Half-Life mod (between all the items and such), so I doubt any other HL mod has come close to this limit before.

Granted, it's not *all* that - as every mod has been suffering texture scrambles since February, but ours is certainly hit the hardest by them.

thenewb

New Adventurer
Reaction score
And we can't do with the simple playermodel changer like svencoop or something like thats ?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Svencoop doesn't have ~140 models loaded before the map even starts... As they have less than 1/200th the weapons and items. ;)

But, in the distant future, if someone fixes the submodel scramble bug, and we figure a way to dump texture memory, could happen, I suppose.

thenewb

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Or could you add race like goblyn or orc ?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Dwarves and elves are in the works (or rather have been for ages)... Worth adding to the model count for either one, if need be, just, maybe not so much so just for different faces.