Death to edana/thornlands

Bye bye edana/thornlands?

• You shall be missed. Maps used only for shopping are lame.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario you are wrong. The thornlands has the evil count Olaf!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Why would anyone bother going to edana or thornlands for their low level/beginning training?

In chapel you have rats and boars that are infinite and spawn as soon as you kill them.

edana has a trickle of rats and boars while thornlands is just too much work running around everywhere to get to monsters.

chapel = where I will be training my SC

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Is this a new map? Is this available on Thothies site?

I r nub level 15

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
The Thornlands has the spider cave and six chests and the chapel does not.

And the Thornlands has an NPC that might prove useful in certain quests for certain items.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:

And the Thornlands has an NPC that might prove useful in certain quests for certain items.

yes, thornlands is good for training once you can kill those spitting spiders and yes there are those items.

But for raw monster spawn rate for low levels, I am sure chapel rules.
(btw, I found quite the sword in chapel... Its one level lower than the one I will be spending weeks hunting)

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!! said:
J-M v2.5.5 said:

yes, thornlands is good for training once you can kill those spitting spiders and yes there are those items.

(btw, I found quite the sword in chapel... Its one level lower than the one I will be spending weeks hunting)

secrets are my favourte and the style of thornlands: open, simple and the right amount of boars and the occasional orc archer which i get angry if i don't get to kill it :evil:

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
WeissberV said:
ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!! said:
J-M v2.5.5 said:

secrets are my favourte and the style of thornlands: open, simple and the right amount of boars and the occasional orc archer which i get angry if i don't get to kill it :evil:

yeah i have the emotional attachment to the old thornlands too.

just saying, for low level training, chapel is better. =D

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Edana and Thornlands are not leaving.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:

lawl, did I say that?

edit:
well my poll does imply that. fixing.

double edit:
I can't edit the poll. pl0x don't nobody cry... or murder me

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Oh, sorry. Only read the poll...

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I don't care if they are not as efficient as other maps. MS wouldn't be the same without them, as they have been in the rotation since the beginning. Plus, they can be changed if need be I am sure.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
My opinion is that Thornlands is one of the most amazing map ever! Maybe it has lost some "use" but it sure is really awesome to explore when you first play MSC :)

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
HumanSteak said:
My opinion is that Thornlands is one of the most amazing map ever! Maybe it has lost some "use" but it sure is really awesome to explore when you first play MSC :)

aye

lawl, well i'm sure you don't care about efficiency Homestar.

Xeropace

Adventurer
MSC Developer
MSU Developer
Reaction score
Well Story wise and geographically (lol spelling) wise, they're needed :S

Thornlands is the first major 'middle' map, as it branches off to all sorts. How would one travel from place to place if spawn anywhere didn't exsist?

And yes, Thornlands is needed for quests too, as is Edana. I see no reason why they should be forgotten :(

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Can't get a PSB in Chapel.

The first chapel chest was nerfed a bit in SEP2007b, as it was the spider chest, sans the spider.

The rats and boars and Chapel are not infinite (unlike the ones in Thornlands), they are 5 a piece.

It's true there are some sploitie bits in Chapel that should probably be fixed though. I think a waterfall and pushbrush into the orc den would help.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Can't get a PSB in Chapel.

The first chapel chest was nerfed a bit in SEP2007b, as it was the spider chest, sans the spider.

The rats and boars and Chapel are not infinite (unlike the ones in Thornlands), they are 5 a piece.

It's true there are some sploitie bits in Chapel that should probably be fixed though. I think a waterfall and pushbrush into the orc den would help.

ZOMFG SPOYLURZ

Maps should not be thought of in terms of "usefullness", really. Thornlands is a beautiful map with awesome music. It would make me a sad panda if it disappeared.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I GOTS TO REPEAT THIS LOTS OF TIMES!!!!

BY "DEATH" I MEAN AS A USEFUL PLACE TO TRAIN.

AS FAR AS CHAPEL GOES, THE OPENING AREA HAS SPAWN RATES LIKE A CHEAT MAP.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Calm down, spanky. No need for caps. If you convince everyone that thornlands is worthless because there are better training places, it's going to pull a heras. Essentially, it will disappear. Now, as I said, that will make me a sad panda.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
AS FAR AS CHAPEL GOES, THE OPENING AREA HAS SPAWN RATES LIKE A CHEAT MAP.
*sigh* I suppose I could fix that too.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Calm down, spanky. No need for caps. If you convince everyone that thornlands is worthless because there are better training places, it's going to pull a heras. Essentially, it will disappear. Now, as I said, that will make me a sad panda.

I go to heras all the time... green spiders ftw

I capped bc i know someone is going to be like "Oh noes! don't delete edana and thornlands! I Luvs them too much!"

JoMama

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
*sigh* I suppose I could fix that too.

Please don't. They're just rats and I need a way to level my frostbolt :/

In Edana, I think really to appreciate the slow spawnrate of rats, you have to make a new character and take on those rats with your rusted knife.

Plus, as others have said, an important nostolgia is lost when you remove Edana and Thornlands from the mix. Chapel has those extra secret chests, I think, but the area is too blocky to cover as thornlands. Also, Edana serves as the perfect tutorial map, introducing enemies (the rats), a quest (take down the mayor), and most importantly: merchants (salespeople are npcs too, guys)

Chapel is cool the way it is, but it's too short to replace Edana AND Thornlands

Dark

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i have to agree with mario on the spawn rate at chapel... i myself raised everything to level 10 within less than a day there... and yes it IS infinite spawn... however...

If you pick up the pelts form the fallen creatures they eventually stop spawning... if you leave the pelts alone.. the spawn forever.. it quickly becomes whack a rat but still its ub4h xp for low levels. i beleive... firedart lvl 1->10 in less than 1 hour

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
dont nerf them... wtf

it is a damn good place to train, and all lower levels will vouch for that, we don't want it gone.

WeissberV

New Adventurer
Crusaders
Reaction score
Dark said:
i have to agree with mario on the spawn rate at chapel... i myself raised everything to level 10 within less than a day there... and yes it IS infinite spawn... however...

If you pick up the pelts form the fallen creatures they eventually stop spawning... if you leave the pelts alone.. the spawn forever.. it quickly becomes whack a rat but still its ub4h xp for low levels. i beleive... firedart lvl 1->10 in less than 1 hour

u can get fire dart on sfor from lvl 4- 10 in under 10 mins :/

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
tehrilez said:
Don't delete my favorite cheatmap!

lawl, and what'd I tell you... somebody went and said "Oh Noes don't delete edana and thornlands! I HEART those maps!"

refer to posts where I type in all caps. I CAN'T change the poll. And I only mean as a viable training place.