jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
LOL I didn't know they did it on Unreal, holy crap the game looks like ass!! Unreal has already been used to make much more beautiful games.

Elric34

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Tigerkev said:
Elric34 said:
Uh... the 2 weapon limit gave it "realism" but screwed up the good ol duke.

I think i'll be able to carry more then two weapons, atleast two handguns or more and two bigger weapons on my back.

That's because you're not f*cking Duke Nukem! God damn Duke Nukem can carry all the guns he wants, and a Chuck Norris to spare! ><

Whenever I see a poor game mechanic defended by "realism" I rage.

I mean, looking at the collection, most of the guns are situational. You don't wanna be stuck with, for instance, a RPG and Shotgun combo. Or a pistol and a rail gun. (Why even have pistols in a game with a two weapon limit?) There's just no logical excuse for that from a game play perspective.

...also... Turns out this is the UT3 engine... You mean to tell me they spent 12 years on this game and have no engine to show for it? :(

I wasn't defending it with realism. it ruined a quarter of the game.

And yes they spent 12 damn years developing this game and have no engine to show for it.

If skyrim is as horrid as this game im literally going to kill my self.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Gearbox likely developed it in under a year, do you know how many companies were 'developing' DNF?

Elric34

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
jon50559 said:
Gearbox likely developed it in under a year, do you know how many companies were 'developing' DNF?

yeah i estimate A LOT of companies. even that company that makes hair shampoo.

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
...also... Turns out this is the UT3 engine... You mean to tell me they spent 12 years on this game and have no engine to show for it? :(

Actually it's UT2.5 engine. Sorry to bring you this new disappointment. >_>

Elric34

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Jelly said:
Thothie said:

Actually it's UT2.5 engine. Sorry to bring you this new disappointment. >_>

yeah i was gonna clarify on the engine but i forgot what version it was.

Tigerkev

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
Thothie said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZzU5Db_-yg&feature=youtu.be#t=101s

Youtube said:
Unfortunately, this video is not available in Germany because it may contain music for which GEMA has not granted the respective music rights.
Sorry about that.

Fu** you germany..

Truewarrior

Adventurer
MSC Developer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
well, don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the game .... but I am waiting for a mod that removes the two weapon limit to keep going.. :?
oh yeah, the freeze ray sucks, 10 secondes to freeze something is not fun.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Watchin my friend play... That freeze ray turned a two weapon limit into a one weapon limit - cuz there's no way yer dumping a weapon with unlimited ammo. Thing was pretty effective on normal, so it seemed, although only at short range.

He gave up after it tossed him into some sort of explosives-only boss (somewhere on top of the dam, I guess), and he couldn't figure out where he swapped out his last RPG, thus making the game unfinishable.

edit: also, oshi, Half-Life1 engine update just went beta. :(

Alfred Reynolds said:
We have released a beta update for Half-Life 1 engine based games (Half-Life, Counter-Strike 1.6, Day of Defeat, etc). To grab this update run the hldsupdatetool with "-beta hlbeta" on the command line. This update continues on some exploit fixes we have already shipped within this beta.

Changes:
- Added sv_filetransfermaxsize cvar to limit the size of a file a server will try to send to a client, by default 10mbytes.
- Prevented halflife.wad from being downloaded from a server (fixes server hang/stall).
+10,000 other changes they aren't bothering to list that are gonna ream us like a Christmas goose.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
He gave up after it tossed him into some sort of explosives-only boss (somewhere on top of the dam, I guess), and he couldn't figure out where he swapped out his last RPG, thus making the game unfinishable.
Probably the Octaking because GOD DAMN that boss was terribly annoying.

Still nothing (in terms of annoying-ness) compared to the two levels before the final level though. Those are easily the worst levels I have played in any game, ever.

And speaking of engine updates... I tried to play the fantastic Half-Life 2 singleplayer fantasy action-RPG Eclipse the other day (again, because it's so entertaining) but it's literally 100% unplayable. Looks like Goldsource is not the only engine that's receiving these nifty 'updates'.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Source gets updates a LOT more often than Goldsrc. All of the early mods that weren't updated, or merely HL2 fanmaps, died. I suppose it'll stabilize over time, but the Mac update killed a lot of good source mods, and that wasn't all that long ago. Mods killed by that would include Bloodstone, which, while not all that good, is closer to MSS than Eclipse, in that it is (or was) an actual RPG (with stats, quests, inventory, etc), as opposed to running a sorceress around with an AOE gravity gun.

Probably shouldn't be advertising other RPG mods, but seeing as how they are both dead... >_>