Helena!

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I got attacked by orcs today in helena! I have to admit it was lots of fun... scripted attacks on towns = MAKES MS BADASS! (Warhammer online is gonna have em too)

But with all these attacks on helena I would like to wonder why people still live there. I mean they get attacked by orcs and bandits ALL THE TIME. And they don't even have a formidable wall. Their wall has two entrances! thats like asking "please invade my town and rape us and our women!" They don't even have a gate. With all the prosperous merchants of daragoth there i'm sure they can afford a better wall than that. Why the hell are the merchants there neway? I personally think the merchants square in edana should have more merchants than helena especially since you have to PAY to get in.

Hell they could use the magical pushing gate technology from edana in helena!

they get invaded every day yet they don't leave.
Rohar: Helena is the New Orleans of MS.

HomestarR

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
If the merchants left, or if they got a decent wall, then the baddies wouldn't attack. No attack = no fun. Merchants square could use a little more merchants.

Dejiko

New Adventurer
Reaction score
raids are just a pain in the ass IMO. I come to town to buy/sell/store stuff, not to fight. if anything ever attacks the town every merchant is made useless until the map restarts.

Shadeska

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ya think this is bad? I know that you've played Old Helena in MS...don't complain when there are no trolls to rape you or kill the merchants, who stand there waiting for you to buy things.

villager

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Or a giant cart flying across the map destroying half of the remaining wall with orc warlords pouring out, god damn that map was awesome.

Shadeska

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yes...I wish I could have lived that long though. It was a completely different animal, that Old Helena was...I loved her like a kitten.
Can we bring it back? Or maybe a map ispired by it for Source? That'd be sweet.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I have a plausable idea for how to implement old helena without time warping magic and ridiculous shit.

Have one of the npcs who survived the old helena siege tell the adventurers the story of helena as a reward for a really cheap quest.

The story is told through the players actually reliving the old helena siege.

Nightmare thornlands can be implemented the same way, with Sembelin telling of the fortold future of daragoth.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!! said:
I have a plausable idea for how to implement old helena without time warping magic and ridiculous ****.

Have one of the npcs who survived the old helena siege tell the adventurers the story of helena as a reward for a really cheap quest.

The story is told through the players actually reliving the old helena siege.

Nightmare thornlands can be implemented the same way, with Sembelin telling of the fortold future of daragoth.
Coming from a guy who pops shrooms, I'd figure you'd prefer time warping and ridiculous shit :p

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I've the source for old Helena, and I intended to bring it back as kind of a time travel venture, but only the gods know when I'm going to get to it.

The orc raids seem fine, but I think the bandit raids need a bit of nerfing, and another thing I need to get around to, is getting the merchants to go back to their stalls after the raid and pass out discounts.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
The orc raids seem fine, but I think the bandit raids need a bit of nerfing, and another thing I need to get around to, is getting the merchants to go back to their stalls after the raid and pass out discounts.
STOP READING MY MIIIIIND! *runs* [/chrisgriffen]

But seriously, I was gonna suggest that, I just never got around to it. >.>

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I was talking more about the discounts at the end of the raids.

Shadeska

New Adventurer
Reaction score
We should replace the reward for finishing Old Helena because we have enough >.> *looks around* gold armor.
But how would we explain returning from a flashback with items?
Oo! I got it! The surivor gives everyone a gift for listening to his "story" :)

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Shadeska said:
We should replace the reward for finishing Old Helena because we have enough >.> *looks around* gold armor.
But how would we explain returning from a flashback with items?
Oo! I got it! The surivor gives everyone a gift for listening to his "story" :)

unless its all one map it wont work.

someone could vote for the reward map.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
There is a system in place that doesn't allow travel to a map unless you have reached the transition point. This is used to stop people from starting on skycastle, or ww3d and can just be used again for this.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Shurik3n said:
There is a system in place that doesn't allow travel to a map unless you have reached the transition point. This is used to stop people from starting on skycastle, or ww3d and can just be used again for this.

Votemap..

if you went into the "flashback" and voted for it, you wouldn't have to do the map.

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
No... because when you join the next map and try to spawn it will blackout your screen and tell you to go to the beginning.

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
but you voted for the map on the transition map.

How is it then I can go to places like ara without being on the transition map?

Shurik3n

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Because Ara isn't protected by the gauntlet system. Try starting on edana and votemaping (or changelevel'ing) to ww3d

Dark

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i second this... BRING BACK OLD HELENA... Twas the only dissapointment i felt with the new version.... *cries*

JoMama

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Another way you could pull this off is by having the transition between merchant-filled Helena and war-torn Helena happen automatically while the server is in Thornlands.

In Thornlands, have a random-length timer that starts at the beginning of Thornlands. Also, place two level transitions in the same transition area in Thornlands (one for helena, one for old helena) with only one of them active at a time (disable one and enable the other).

Once the timer runs down, a message will appear saying something along the lines of "Helena is being rampaged by orcs" or something (you could also have a couple orcs come in from the helena entrance if so inclined) The transition for "helena" will disable, and "old_helena" will enable. The timer should reset so that it will wait a certain amount of time before reverting the transition point back to "helena" (as well as a message telling the players as such.)

I find this somewhat more logical than a flashback that can get you killed.

As for current Helena, I wanted to complain about the two characters Arthur and Harry (the only sales npcs with names). They sell really useless items, and one of them doesn't even have the choice to sell to. Can they please have some sort of side quests or something attributed for them? I just don't understand their general purpose.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Dark said:
i second this... BRING BACK OLD HELENA... Twas the only dissapointment i felt with the new version.... *cries*

thothie is supposed to be doing this...sometime...