modelling help (skin families)

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
How do i make so i can make a blinking animation with the skins?

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i doubt its possible...never seen a blinking model

maybe study the houndeye, the texture on its eye changes based on a controller

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's entirely possible, but in MSC, skins may not be the best method.

You'll notice, as part of the throwbacks we have laying about from our various attempts to fix the armor bug, the reference.mdl has skins. They're still there. If you decompile the human/reference.mdl model you'll see:
Code:
// 3 skin families
$texturegroup skinfamilies 
{
{ "LEGSfull.bmp"  "LEGS.bmp"  "body.bmp"  "ARMS.bmp" }
{ "TLEGSfull.bmp"  "TLEGS.bmp"  "Tbody.bmp"  "TARMS.bmp" }
{ "LEGSfull.bmp"  "LEGS.bmp"  "Tbody.bmp"  "ARMS.bmp" }
}

This is a little confusing, but the first group (skin1) has all body parts visible.
In the second group (skin2), all body parts are invisible (prefixed skin with "T"), as should be setup for platemail type armors.
In the third group (skin3), only the torso is invisible, as would be required to display leather armors proper.

I assume any texture you define in group #1, will be replaced by the subsequently defined textures in group #2, when you switch to that skin. Similarly for each subsequent skin after that.

Simpler might be your typical TFC model, with a single skin texture, coming in four variants, one for each team, plus a "default" for DM:
Code:
// 5 skin families
$texturegroup skinfamilies 
{
{ "Team_DM.bmp" }
{ "Team_red.bmp" }
{ "Team_blue.bmp" }
{ "Team_green.bmp" }
{ "Team_yellow.bmp" }
}

Master Sword, mind you, has an easier time dealing with submodels than skins. Skins are a bit iffy still, as they have to be set through the setprop command, and then I've not played with it much to be sure its consistent (I know it doesn't work on the player model). The setskin function was axed from the code and uses references that no longer exist. I'm not sure if there was any particular reason for that action, often entire slews of code were tossed out on a whim of convention change, but other times there is method to the uncommented madness.