Practicing...

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Currently im trying to perfect my geographical brush work. This was going to be a real map, but i got some weird ass leak that i cant find, so, unless i take the time to redo it, ill just consider it practice... :D
Pic1
Pic2
Pic3
Pic4

C&C welcome :eek:

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I think your doing pretty good Crow, would be nice to have something to look at while I see blank walls basically, they have the feeling of being cliff sides with shear drops (the transition zones).

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
lol geographical brushwork :p
looks muy muy bueno...
your gettin better my friend. :D

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Lol i didn't know what else to call it.
Nature brush work?
Out-doors brush work?
I'm sure there's something obvious but my brain doesnt work very well

Tis only brush work atm. models will hopefully make it look better.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Mounds of dirt.

Hammer doesn't always detect invalid brush shapes, although its pretty good compared to the older versions, it's still not 100%. Mounds of Dirt artwork tends to involve lots of strange shaped brushes.

To zap that leak, what I would suggest you do, is func wall the more complicated brushes, and make sure they end smack up against solid brushes that are very simply shaped on the edges of the map. You should try to keep your outside facing brushes to boxes with solid 90' angles. And of course - conform to the grid. (if using large brushes, conform to the grid at 64 to minimize rendering splits.)

Also make sure none of your outside facing brushes are func_walls, or other enitity types - as they don't block VIS - and thus instant leak. (Dun think you'd make that mistake though).

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
ya like one of the glowy lights in the temple has invalid brushes :p
i think when you start its on the top floor on the dark side
it looks very odd... :wink:

mrfranswa

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I like pic 4. Reminds me of that part in willow after they capture bavmorda's daughter and they are in that canyon.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Okay, I suppose its time to fess up. I've been addicted to WoW for the past 2 and a half weeks, and its been hard to want to map, and i'd rather wait till the patch b4 i commit to something.

But... i still managed to get in some "practice."

For those of you that played my old map "riverwind" (i think it was a select few) this was going to be a recreation of that. You'll notice it has sort of the same layout. I skiped on the waterfall part because i was lazy.

Here it is, enjoy :D

pic1
pic2
pic3
pic4
pic5
pic6
pic7
pic8
pic9
pic10

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Nice :)

I think those forest edges let it down though, but its hard to suggest an alternative to them :roll:

Good work! :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Just begging for an uncompilable map, aren't ya? ;)

If ya don't put out something soon, I'm gonna update your world walker maps for MSC and dish em out. :p (Don't think it owuld take much effort)