Selective Illegal joining

Snebbers

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
I wasn't sure what to call the title of this Thread, but that was the best I could come up with.

Basically my suggestion is;

If I run lodagond-1, lodagond-2, lodagond-3 and then get onto lodagond-4. People, I guarentee will always join. What I ask is that if people haven't joined the gauntlet series from the start, then they shouldn't be able to join later maps in that gauntlet.

Maps that would be affected by that:

lodagond-2
lodagond-3
lodagond-4
nashalrath
the_wall2
highlands_msc
lostcastle_msc
skycastle
orc_place2beta (I think)
sorc_villa

And maybe some others.

On top of that map series should also carry damagepoints over. lodagond-1 through to lodagond-4 for example. (Thanks Stizz for suggesting that)

I, as well as a few other high level players, are getting really annoyed with people tagging along and getting either in the way or getting free loot. If we've pre-planned to do a map as a small group it should be restricted to that group.

Simpler method: Make votelocking on gauntlet maps carry over to the next map in the series.

What do we think?

Ryuzaki Redgrave

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I for one agree. It is infuriatingly simple for some moron to hop on the server at the end of gauntlet maps, steal all the damage points, and make off with the loot that they were either too lazy, or too stupid to get on their own. If it will always be that you need three people to votelock, then having people join at the end of a gauntlet map really needs to be looked over.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
ZunWasOkayGuy said:
But this is how I got most of my shinies.

Rofl.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
My first core development effort in MSC (and indeed, back to MS 1.3), was to ensure that folks could join in on any game in progress to help encourage a multi-player environment, so obviously I'm not hampering that one fundamental change.

However, if this is sort of a round-about ninja issue, with some super player coming in and robbing the previous players of their hard earned victory, I might be able to work out something where only those players who joined on the first map in the series get their damage points recorded, or receive some ridiculous bonus that could never be defeated by late joiners. Tricky though, and quite often, in my experience, you'll reach the end of a series with an entirely different group of players than you started with.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
However, if this is sort of a round-about ninja issue, with some super player coming in and robbing the previous players of their hard earned victory, I might be able to work out something where only those players who joined on the first map in the series get their damage points recorded, or receive some ridiculous bonus that could never be defeated by late joiners. Tricky though, and quite often, in my experience, you'll reach the end of a series with an entirely different group of players than you started with.

You should try do that with gauntlets or maps accessed via transitions only.

There are people who join in the_wall2/lodagond-4 and even sorc_villa (friendly) when they did nothing and claim loot for themselves. This is wrong on so many levels, it's like that one time i had a flamewar against Mouse over a BD when he joined in the end and tried to claim it for himself. And there is even people who are in the beginning of the_wall untill the end, when we get to 2nd part, they pot up and try to get first by spamming stuff, this is also bad.

Say i get 300k dmg points and the guy in second gets 50k, 2nd part, he pots up and spams in an attempt to get first dmg points (this never worked on me, but i bet some people out there will do this to others), this needs to be fixed in one way or another.

Also, would be rather nice to have a voteban option that actually works, like kicking that one guy who joins midway of a farming run because someone slipped away the password and the server was already heavily packed or someone that joins and someone wants to avoid that guy. Nothing too big, but a ban that works like, for the rest of the current map or timebased (eg: banned for 15 minutes) would be nice for this type of occasion. I know this can be abused, but so can be votekick and both ways can end up with rollbacks (if necessary) to people who attempt at doing such bad moves on others.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, it'd obviously just be the gauntlet maps, as otherwise you wouldn't have a place to add the starter bonus in... But... Jeeze, this would be complicated. Damage points are tracked by the Game Master, rather than saved as quest data, so the core of the whole damage point system would have to be changed.

Some late comers getting in on sorc_villa shouldn't be skin off anyone's nose, if not for the fact that the alchemist only has so many potions for sale. I suppose it's long overdue time to come up with an individualized vender system, similar to the individualized chests, but gah, that's also a pretty complicated operation.

And, in regards to that last bit, the votekick is supposed to add a five minute ban, but it doesn't seem to be working, for some reason.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Some late comers getting in on sorc_villa shouldn't be skin off anyone's nose, if not for the fact that the alchemist only has so many potions for sale. I suppose it's long overdue time to come up with an individualized vender system, similar to the individualized chests, but gah, that's also a pretty complicated operation.

It's still something people frown upon and it did happen recently, i didn't give a crap about it that much but coming in when we change to the villa and buy most of the "new" potions without diserving them before the people, who actually did the map try to buy something is the same as being a loot ninja.

Also don't know if it's a bug or not, the alchemist freaks out each time a player moves inside his shop (within the room he is sitting in) making him close the store to the player that has it open. This is ancient and extremelly annoying, i don't know if this has been debated before, since it never got fixed/changed.

And, in regards to that last bit, the votekick is supposed to add a five minute ban, but it doesn't seem to be working, for some reason.

I think i remember that working back in 2008, yeah... not that i used it that much. Probably last time i used it was in 2010/11. But would be nice if it actually did remove the person for quite sometime.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Not too worried about sorc_villa bitterness when it's no skin off the nose of the folks who did the work, so yeah, it's just a matter of that limited potion stock on the alchemist (that being the only possible real loss). I'm sure some ultra-conservative folks will still be bitter, but screw em, they should be happy they opened the Sorc party pad. ;)

So, I suspect I'll have to work up a system where:
• Damage points get saved as quest data every minute or so...
• Damage points do not reset between gauntlets maps.
• Those who reach the end of the first gauntlet map in a set get a 500k point bonus.
• Individualized vender system, for the alchemist, amongst others.

I dunno if I'll get to any of that by the next patch though. I've still not made any progress on desert_temple, and I've got a lot of voice files to insert and iron out yet. Mostly just been plugging bugs.

Regorty

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I dunno if I'll get to any of that by the next patch though. I've still not made any progress on desert_temple, and I've got a lot of voice files to insert and iron out yet. Mostly just been plugging bugs.

You can always refer to that map as TotGaPT just for fun.

Also, I do think it would be neat to have bonus points for those who help fight the the entire gantlet, even though I just act as support in the sense that i focus on healing and providing potions. So the bonus would really help me out since I am not doing a whole lot of fighting, knowing I would get destroyed if I tried.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Regorty said:
Also, I do think it would be neat to have bonus points for those who help fight the the entire gantlet, even though I just act as support in the sense that i focus on healing and providing potions. So the bonus would really help me out since I am not doing a whole lot of fighting, knowing I would get destroyed if I tried.

With a proper class system, you would be doing your job just fine then, you still are though (sort of) :wink:

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I might be able to work out something where only those players who joined on the first map in the series get their damage points recorded
This is a great idea.

Damage points do not reset between gauntlets maps.
It would be cool if damage points only reset if the players used the votemap feature. This would encourage exploration.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
It would be cool if damage points only reset if the players used the votemap feature. This would encourage exploration.

Not really the greatest idea as there are maps that let you travel back with ease and repeat a gauntlet via transition, which would totally ruin the system and probably end up as an exploit for some dmg points hoarders.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, it'd actually discourage exploration further, by cutting the size of the world nearly in half. No one would go to any disconnected maps.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they go to the disconnected maps for the rewards there? :?:

If damage points only reset upon joining a new server or voting it would reward continuous gameplay.

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Because of the sheer amount of times I crash these days when changing maps (I can't run more than three different maps in a row without hl.exe crashing) I'm going to have to say no to the votemap-resets-damagepoints idea.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Why wouldn't they go to the disconnected maps for the rewards there? :?:

If damage points only reset upon joining a new server or voting it would reward continuous gameplay.
Because you'd forfeit your chances for rewards in all the connected maps, and basically stand no chance of winning anything when playing against someone who stays on only the connected ones. Then you get the whole "listpoints - eff that /ragequit" syndrome to boot.

Besides, there's only two, maybe three maps where the connections between require any additional exploring to find, and none that go more than three deep from any hub, so it's not adding anything to the game.

Snebbers

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Reaction score
Thothie said:
So, I suspect I'll have to work up a system where:
• Damage points get saved as quest data every minute or so...
• Damage points do not reset between gauntlets maps.
• Those who reach the end of the first gauntlet map in a set get a 500k point bonus.
• Individualized vender system, for the alchemist, amongst others.

I love all of this message and would work really really well in my opinion. I'd be happy to wait a bit for those.