Small test map

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
i-find-your-lack-of-sauce-distrubing-500x375.jpg
If ya put up the sauce for the one that failed to compile, might be able to tell ya what's wrong with it.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
linksword916 said:
The main reason I think my other map failed was I used carving and 1 unit thick walls. It was really bad.
I'm always surprised at how many people try to do it that way. Don't feel to bad - Crow himself tried to do it that way - tis one of the reasons the FPS is so fubar on lostcastle.

I can't test it from here - although I can browse it in the bsp viewer. You got cylinders touching other brushes - which is not going to be a problem on a map this small and simple - but it's a bad habit to get into, as all those split faces add up real fast.

Whenever two brushes meet, their faces split where they touch. This is not real problem with simple boxes and triangles, but with cylinders, all the odd angles generate a lot of extra faces, which means more wpoly, which means less FPS.

Seems we had a thread on this, but it seems to have upped and vanished...

Old image demonstrating the resulting issue:
splitface_cyl_450_why.jpg

Hard to see, but same issue desmontrated on your map:
splitface_testmap.png
(I can't load the textures, as you didn't use -nowadtextures -wadautodetect with your compile.)

Two possible fixes for the phenomena:

1) [Preferable] Make a 1 unit gap between the brushes. Usually this means using the splice tool and shaving 1 unit off the bottom of the spike/cylinder. Downside is the complex brush will be off the grid, and may split in weird ways, if it is large, and it will no longer block vis.

2) Make the spike/cylinder a func_wall (or, if possible, func_illusionary, which is preferable as they don't generate clip planes). Downside to this is func_walls add to the entity count and render from more locations, and it of course, won't block vis.

You can see texture splitting in the game by using gl_wireframe 1 in console. You can also get an idea as to vis blocking with gl_wireframe 2.

I'll have to wait till I get home to see the rest.

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
linksword916 said:
If you can find the secret, there's a very special crate inside. Just a crate, nothing more. But still a crate.
Hello I played your map and what is this