Spell casting level not matching on same server

StrikerAY

New Adventurer
Reaction score
My friends and I are playing on a LAN server together and recently we discovered that my spell casting is being divided by 7 while someone else on the server has their spell casting divided by 5 instead. Going through everyone on the server most of us have 1/7 spell casting but some of us have 1/5 spell casting. We can't seem to figure out what makes the characters different.

Just thought I'd post here for suggestions on what might've happened.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
There used to be protection/summoning subskills aswell, they are hidden and locked away now... only dev commands can level those up now i think.

Perhaps one of you guys is using an old character or found a way to lvl up those somehow, or bugged, w/e.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Or more likely his math is just off because of the unknown +2

StrikerAY

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I know about the 2 invisible spell casting sub stats, but my friends that are divided by 5 aren't doing anything to level them up, and i know my spell casting math isn't off due to the missing +2 because he has 85 levels of spell casting(sub) and i have 119 and we are the same level spell casting.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
zeus9860 said:
There used to be protection/summoning subskills aswell, they are hidden and locked away now... only dev commands can level those up now i think.
More accurate to say they were never used. It's never been possible to level them, save by cheating.

...although I think one of them became polearms. ;)

As for this strangeness...

Weird stuff happens on LAN sometimes, but I'd have to see the character files in question to know what's up.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
...although I think one of them became polearms. ;)

Morbo1.jpg

ADDING SKILLS DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. GOODNIGHT.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Mah bad, I keep thinking that's how you pulled it off, for some reason...

But yeah, the extra stats were never level'able... And LAN tends to go funky, so you'd have to upload the char files somewhere. (Maybe mediafire.)

Keldorn

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Think it was possible to level protection/summoning in the old days because exp was tied to the "weapon" you had in your hand.

I saw one or two old players with protection/summoning levels back when I actually read chat logs.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Keldorn said:
I saw one or two old players with protection/summoning levels back when I actually read chat logs.
This is offtopic, but... Happy Birthday! :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Keldorn said:
Think it was possible to level protection/summoning in the old days because exp was tied to the "weapon" you had in your hand.

Yeah, like I said, not without cheating... There was a little exploit you could use to level Summoning or Protection by casting Ice Shield (otherwise useless at the time), or Summon Rat (when the rat never leveled), and switching to a weapon real fast, just before you killed something, to get a smidgen of XP in either stat. Suffice to say, long since fixed.

Been considering rigging it up so folks with Pet related Titles could get XP in Summoning, as their pets and summons do damage, now that we have a system that makes it possible. Protection will likely go to the Dwarven Earth sphere, whenever we get a fully functional dwarf player model, and rig that system up.

StrikerAY

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Actually I've been around long enough to remember those, my favorite method to level summoning/protection was to cast lightning storm, which back then didn't DOT enemies; but constantly struck them, during the lightning storms attack if you cast another spell or swung a weapon it gave you xp for the damage of lightning storm to the weapon in hand.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, used to be none of the spells gave XP proper, except for fire dart and erratic lightning. I remember the first time someone got enough SC to cast blizzard, after nearly a year, and we were all "Woooooah!" (Think it was P|Barnum - but it didn't do anything but make snowflakes).

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Ah yes... long, long ago! My god it took long to level SC.

kamikadze321

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It still takes too long. >=[

It wouldn't be as annoying if it was xp/5, but with xp/7 when two of the stats are grounded at 0 is kind of a paaain. And why does it seem so hard to get decent spells for divination and poison? My character is at 600 health and I still have only rebuke undead and poison dart, both of which are useless. Ok I also have poison staff but it's kind of bad too. Blizzard and Lightning storm were pretty easy to get at levels like 200-300, but to get decent divination and poison it seems one needs to go to reallly high level maps like hunderswamp. =/

Also, Tothie, check your PMs damnit.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
kamikadze321 said:
It still takes too long. >=
We can always go back to the old system, and let it take over a year of heavy play to get to level 12. Dividing your skill /7 and giving you only two level'able stats - with all of two functioning spells between them (specifically Erratic Lightning and Fire Dart.) ;)

kamikadze321 said:
Also, Tothie, check your PMs damnit.
I has none from ye... :\

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
kamikadze321 said:
It still takes too long. >=[

It wouldn't be as annoying if it was xp/5, but with xp/7 when two of the stats are grounded at 0 is kind of a paaain. And why does it seem so hard to get decent spells for divination and poison?

We need to wait for the spellcasting revamp... luckily if it ever happens, we get 2 new subskills to train. Polearms was something nice when it happened, i'm all excited for these 2 new subskills in spellcasting. It's fun to make some sort of competition with others when racing to the top.

Divination and poison are like, third party subskills i would say. Given that, you usually start leveling them up much later than fire/ice/lightning, hell... even sometimes ice goes into that party aswell since people got no clue where to get the initial spells.

Thothie said:
Been considering rigging it up so folks with Pet related Titles could get XP in Summoning, as their pets and summons do damage, now that we have a system that makes it possible. Protection will likely go to the Dwarven Earth sphere, whenever we get a fully functional dwarf player model, and rig that system up.

Still got any plans for a 7th subskill in SC? I was wondering if a summoning subskill would work with that... or perhaps a "mind" subskill, make some non damaging spells that focus in altering targets status, like confusion, paralysis, rage, hatred, weaken, encage, etc... Would be awesome to turn some enemie minions against their own master with such spells :mrgreen:

kamikadze321

New Adventurer
Reaction score
We need to wait for the spellcasting revamp... luckily if it ever happens, we get 2 new subskills to train. Polearms was something nice when it happened, i'm all excited for these 2 new subskills in spellcasting.
Well, hopefully that'll be happening soon :)

or perhaps a "mind" subskill, make some non damaging spells that focus in altering targets status, like confusion, paralysis, rage, hatred, weaken, encage, etc... Would be awesome to turn some enemie minions against their own master with such spells
sounds pretty awesome, but also may be really hard to implement and prone to various exploits.

Divination and poison are like, third party subskills i would say. Given that, you usually start leveling them up much later than fire/ice/lightning, hell... even sometimes ice goes into that party aswell since people got no clue where to get the initial spells.
Well then.. more leveling for me I guess :)

Thothie, I sent you another PM. Hopefully it'll go through this time.