Weapon Familiarity/Mastery?

lvb2555

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I was dickering around on LAN swinging my great axe staring off into space waiting for it to land a hit :roll: when I came across a thought of sub-skill weapon proficiency. Mainly along the lines that each weapon, even within same class of weapons has a different weight, balance, feel, etc.

Some of the differences are very subtle, hugger dagger vs PFCK, sylvian blade vs high elven blade. Some are more pronounced like one handed weapons versus 2 handed, etc.

Basically, you become familiar with each weapons unique weight, feel and center of gravity the more you use that weapon, akin to how you become used to a certain mouse sensitivity. If you change that drastically, you have to reorientate yourself to it over time, but if you change it subtly the difference is hardly noticeable.

It's almost like leveling weapons, but not permanent, and slightly rewards people who use one weapon for a considerable length of time with a slightly higher chance to hit and slightly more damage. Nothing game breaking (Atleast nothing I consider game breaking).

I was thinking a simple 10% damage increase at 100% familiarity, (+1% damage per 10% familiarity)

And (100-chance to hit)/10 for increase in accuracy, so 90% chance to hit would yield an extra 1% chance at 100% familiary, yet 50% chance to hit would yield an extra 5% at 100% familiarity.

For archery, maybe just the damage increase(justified through draw/'accuracy'), since balance doesn't really apply.
For spellcasting I almost want to say elemental familiarity with a similar damage increase to only that element, which may or may not be seperate from the weapons, though it seems less effective on an element basis given that most magic use is often spread out unless specifically trying to level one.

If you have 100% familiarity with say, a GIB, and switch to a GTA, you'll gain familiarity with the GTA at an equal rate to losing familiarity with the GIB, so small situational uses of different weapons won't completely obliterate any work you've done building mastery with a certain weapon's nuance.

This seems a rather universal way to reward weapon specialization without being permanent, due to weapons often changed to fit the situation.

hauptmann

New Adventurer
Reaction score
What a great idea. Surely this will never be implemented.