Archery

RED

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I know it's not just me; I hate leveling my Archery because of how my arrows will go straight through the hit boxes of the enemies... Anyone looking into how to fix this problem? Lately I haven't been able to find any enemy that yields a fair amount of exp and that the arrows actually hit properly. So I'm wondering if anything is being done about it. I saw stuff about better bows, but what good does it do if the arrows can't hit the enemies?

Jester

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I can hit enemies fine, but the bow just doesn't do enough damage for its attack speed. 30 damage a hit for the speed of a 2 handed axe just doesn't cut it for exp grinding.

ITS'aME'aMARIO!!!!

New Adventurer
Reaction score
yeah, i had that problem before when i would level archery on my own server... seemed to work fine on other servers or poorly, depends on the server i think... dont know why

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I guess it depends of ping and FPS because I cant hit on my own server as soon as people join. But when the server is empty it is fine.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
It is fine for me almost always; of course ping will influence your abilities to hit stuff, but I always change my prediction of where to aim & shoot based on spider movement & my current ping (Yes I get that bored so I do that).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'd hate to say it, but my recommendation, currently is to use a slower bow. Seems to me I can't hit anything with a fast bow except at very long ranges (where the arrow slows) and point blank range (where the arrow spawns). I suspect it has to do with the movement method the arrows use.

Lord K had this idea of server side arrows, but it didn't seem to help much, if at all, and it's asking the server to do more... If anything - we need client side arrows, and those are a tad harder to make.

It maybe increasing the size/length of the arrows themselves may fix it, I'll have to look into that. The MS 1.35 arrows were quite a bit larger. It does seem what is happening, is that arrows are 'skipping past' monsters.

Vain attempt to illustrate through ansi art:
X = Target -> = Arrow O=air

Slow Arrow:

->O-XO->O->O->O->O->

Fast Arrow:

->OOXOO->OOOOO->

Kuroneko

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Lord K had this idea of server side arrows, but it didn't seem to help much, if at all, and it's asking the server to do more... If anything - we need client side arrows, and those are a tad harder to make.

The server wouldn't be doing more. It also wouldn't be doing less. It'll be exactly the same. The difference would be on the client, whereas it wouldn't it have as much info being passed to it. I suppose then the server is acctually doing less since it isn't transmitting information as much anymore.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hmmmmmm... Whad I'd like is an entirely client side arrow, ala traditional zero ping physics. All the server does is acknowledge the client fired, and take in the data of weather or not he hit, as determined by the client.

Granted, even that, would probably not solve the issue at hand.

Wonder if I can increase the size of the arrow collision box without messing with the appearance of the arrow itself... hmmmm...

RED

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Well going back to you guys up top, I usually have good ping, and even on my own server, which is on my network at home, arrows will go through the enemies. By asking me, Thothie, to use a slower bow sucks pretty bad. Cuz you know how I like the longbows. If using a worse bow will help me, then i'll try it, but yes, please try some things on it Thothie. Thank you for seeing my problem.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
handcannons...actually some dwarf muskets...or rifles would be nice

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Jester said:
Let's just get rid of them and use handcannons.. problem fixed.
...or maybe *someone* could finish that crossbow model. *cough* *cough*

Jester

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Jester said:
Let's just get rid of them and use handcannons.. problem fixed.
...or maybe *someone* could finish that crossbow model. *cough* *cough*
It is finished sans animations we're allowed to use?

Plus I was talking about weapons that don't fly through the air.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Anyways - back on topic...

I'm a craptastic archer (ie. I hate bows) - so I hardly ever see this in action... So if you guys wanna test this out for me...

http://www.thothie.com/ms/arrows.mdl

Download that, and it put it in:
msc/models/weapons/bows

Overwriting the existing file... It's basically an arrow with an enhanced hitbox. I'm not sure if it helps, but I was able to hit things fine on my listen test server using my test char's elven bow. I didn't test it more thoroughly than that.

Give me a heads up if it helps.... or doesn't.

PS. Hmmmmm... It might have to be on the server side too... I got it running on the beta server, jic.

Jester

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I think it has to be server side otherwise I could compile my own with a massive hitbox and no one would know until I killed everything with 1 shot.