Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Re: Bug Reports SEP2013a

Rocket117 said:
Not sure if anybody else has had this issue, or reported it. I've had this for a while and usually when it occurs i can nail it down to a specific weapon (First time i had the issue it was because of the Dragon Axe) or i roll back. This time i can't do either and it's time I bring it to the board.
1024x576.resizedimage
This is actually really bad. Many of my gatlat items are stacked on top each other, which makes it so i can't use the items underneath it. I have a lot of pot stacks (10 cold immune pots 0_o) which might be causing it but i'm not quite sure.

Ewwwwwwww...

What's your Steam ID and affected character slot? Even if you don't want a rollback, I'd like to be able to look over your bank strings.

Most likely, you've got an older character who is suffering from a corrupt item in the list. I've added a console command to reset the bank for characters so affected (which requires confirmation, so ya don't get trolled), but it does mean whatever you can't manage to get out will be erased.

Rocket117

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Don't do it just yet, i'd like to get the chance to take my crap out if that's the case. STEAM_0:1:28441817 Slot 1

Rocket117

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Ok. I've got the problem narrowed down. But first let's look at some interesting scenarios.
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/568898140188030021/6268521A5DD5353E3B9DFBEEB0FBF612F2FFD888/
This problem also affects chests such as the ones from orc for.
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/568898140188071485/8AB4EBE74FB2D5D2FE70540B2B627004AC9456C8/
The problem item was brought down to this http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/568898140188025935/D528B61ED3B12FFD0AB65DC07BF07FD75C15F214/ the bare fists item which i've had a problem with before and i had gotten a roll back because of. My bank is clear so work whatever magic you need but this is interesting to say the least.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

We should have seen that one coming, dem bare apples.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Alright, the first item in your first bank string is corrupt, as is the first item in the third...

I was using an archive from August 1st, at first, and in that one, you only had one corrupt item, which means, yes, sadly, this can still happen. I think the Lich Tongue is the only item with a script name long enough to possibly make it do so (smallarms_frozentoungeonaflagpole). Both of your corrupted items were fragments of this scriptname. So... I'd advise against storing those until the next patch - as I've further reduced the max bank string length to prevent it from happening again. (Which, sadly, will reduce the max items you can put in the bank by about 15%, but will not prevent you from removing items from a chest that is considered full post patch, even if it was not full before.)

So... Next patch you'll have a "bankreset" console command, which you can use to reset your bank strings.

So, all you have to do is wait for the next patch, right?
vgcats_ummm.png
(It is at this point, Thothie glanced at Rocket117's signature, and realized just how many new VGCat comics have been released since the last MSC patch...)

Okay... Since you've helped further nix this bug, as well as make me aware that it's still possible, I'm gonna do ya a golden: I have copied your character to the alpha server, reset its bank, and copied it back to FN. This is kind of a pain, so I dun think I can do it for everyone, but we all clearly owe you one, so there ya go.

As for the orc_for chest, I'm not sure what's happening there, as it can't be achieved in the same way, unless, maybe, there's another problem with a specific item being corrupted, script side, due to a botched definition, which may open a whole other can of worms. It may also simply be memory corruption messing with the "global item" system. If ya see this again, especially if with the same items, please report it.

TL;DR: Reset your bank. Don't store Lich Tongues until next patch.

D.Drew

Adventurer
Reaction score

Fire Aura takes up all of the sound channels. The sound tends to loop over, I've noticed that when people die, it'll start to bug out and play 10 different instances of the burning loop, then all of the other sounds are cut off. Extremely annoying.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

D.Drew said:
Fire Aura takes up all of the sound channels. The sound tends to loop over, I've noticed that when people die, it'll start to bug out and play 10 different instances of the burning loop, then all of the other sounds are cut off. Extremely annoying.

Impossibru! At least it doesn't sound as annoying as fire arrows... yet. :wink:

D.Drew

Adventurer
Reaction score

zeus9860 said:

Hey, atleast nobody uses fire arrows ;)

If someone dies 2-3 times in a game while they're wearing fire aura, trust me, it's annoying as hell. It actually overrides all of the other sounds, so you can only hear that.

There may be something else causing it to loop, but I know for sure that it happens after you die.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Think it's one of those sounds that auto-loops - though it should get killed as the various other sounds play, not the otherway around (unless something has mysteriously changed engine side again). In any case, it maybe the effect is not being alerted to kill its sound channel when the player it is attached to dies. Shall examine.

At the moment, making new dwarf animations... (Reload faster, you SOB...)

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

D.Drew said:
zeus9860 said:

Hey, atleast nobody uses fire arrows ;)

If someone dies 2-3 times in a game while they're wearing fire aura, trust me, it's annoying as hell. It actually overrides all of the other sounds, so you can only hear that.

There may be something else causing it to loop, but I know for sure that it happens after you die.

Pfft, stop playing with Max Ride, problem solved! And people do use fire arrows, most importantly newbies.

At the moment, making new dwarf animations... (Reload faster, you SOB...)

Wait a second... new dwarf animations? Guess you are going to aim for an installer update like the polearms one.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Sadly, no... A mapper wanted dwarves with xbows... Another wants pukie undead bile dwarves... Meh.

Though I am considering doing something less, infuriating, with the stun effect... Just, haven't ironed out details yet.

Borya

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
A glacial palace in the elder forest of the north.
I've been having kind of a weird issue lately, roughly as of ever since this current patch has been a thing.

Every now and then, when complete a map change, I'll run into a weird issue where trying to use any menu locks the game up for a good five to ten seconds (for example, trying to go through my memorized spells or open my inventory). I'm not sure of any sort of consistent way to get this to come up (it's not really super often, maybe once or twice per session of playing?), and doesn't happen when I join the first map after freshly starting up, so I guess it's not too big of a thing (I've taken to restarting the client between maps).

NobleDragon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Borya said:
I've been having kind of a weird issue lately, roughly as of ever since this current patch has been a thing.

Every now and then, when complete a map change, I'll run into a weird issue where trying to use any menu locks the game up for a good five to ten seconds (for example, trying to go through my memorized spells or open my inventory). I'm not sure of any sort of consistent way to get this to come up (it's not really super often, maybe once or twice per session of playing?), and doesn't happen when I join the first map after freshly starting up, so I guess it's not too big of a thing (I've taken to restarting the client between maps).

I've been having the same issue. People have told me to drop out of the server right before it changes map and that seems to keep it in check.

littleaznboi

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Was playing orc_for with about 6 people today and when some of us would try to go to the skeleton tower we would get booted off the server automatically. Thought it might be an overflow issue so i got rid of some stuff but it kept happening. Couldn't even get close until all the monsters in the tower had died. Any reason for this?

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Hmm... not sure if it's the same bug, but you could try entering this into your launch options: -num_edicts 5028

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If you're having trouble hosting nightmare_thornlands, try this fix:

http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev4/nightma ... verfix.zip

Clients don't need the patch, unless they are listenserver hosts (or off-line).

Seems Valve made it so we can no longer rig multiple entity definitions to the same map brush model anymore (at least with some entity types). As nightmare_thornlands was created entirely through ripent, this change to the engine broke it. (Think it's some map consistency effort on their part, ie. yet more "security features" just breaking sh*t.)

This tweak fixes it, though some of the Soul Eater's will likely fail to spawn - I couldn't find another brush that'd accept their trigger anywhere near the right place.

RKS Chicago servers are patched.

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
monsters/wolf_ice_alpha and monsters/ogre_ice (both unused... for now :cool: ) suffer from the ancient d.o.t.-knockback bug.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
monsters/wolf_ice_alpha appears in Aleyesu... One other place, I think, but I canna remember where... Anyways, think I fixed her - not sure about the Ogre though.

The Ice Ogre may have a 1/100 chance, or some other ridiculous silliness, of cropping up in Underpath as well, can't recall... Oyster tends to like to toss in a few mobs like that.

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
monsters/wolf_ice appears in aleyesu and also suffered from that bug (but I already reported that on page 2 and you fixed it long ago). This is about the _alpha variant. Bad doggie, hits really hard.

Never actually played underpath (shame on me) but judging by the map's entity table, it seems you're right about the ice ogres showing up there. Oh well... I'm pretty sure the alpha ice wolf is still unused. I'd better get back to work on msc_vow then :razz:

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Another bug, I hope I'm still in time: In dragooncaves, there's only one info_teleport_destination in the boss chamber and it's too close to the ceiling. If two or more players enter the teleporter too quickly after each other, they will get stuck in each other at the destination spot with no way of getting out ('cept for suicide/reconnect).

The name of the entity is "toboss".

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Have that in the bug list here, but I've not gotten to it yet... I'm a little afraid to, as Dragoon caves has an odd issue with running on HLDS's depending on how it's compiled (for some damned reason).

Had similar reports for Deralia_Sewers and b_castle (both of which I've experienced), but dunno if it's worth delaying anything for. Focus has been more on game-breaking stuff, mapper toys, and future use stuff these last few weeks, and I've not been sweating the small stuff as much as I should, I suppose.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
MS:C community said:
[monsters/wolf_ice DOT push]
Checked, but not tested. Seems should be fixed, along with all the wolves, via fix done mid last year, as they are all using the same base for that now.

MS:C community said:
[monsters/ogre_ice DOT push]
Checked, but not tested. Fixed via slightly lazier method used by other misbehaving ogres.

Status
Not open for further replies.