cant move or anything

Cernobylsky

New Adventurer
Reaction score
You can simply add NEW GAME in res files :) it is possible :D Ok i will do it and sent it to to you ok ? :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh, sure... If you can edit the GameMenu.res to include a single player option, and it works, that'd be perfect. I'd add it to my installer.

"Sanity is madness put to good use."

Saint Thoth

Ewok

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah, I must say, this whole Steam bitching craze is so incredibly weak. Maybe when it was first released, but now it's really good. And furthermore, it's a really good idea and a brilliant content management system.

Yes, there's an online mode and an offline mode. Kuroneko is no Steam guru, it's a basic function of Steam that any nub can understand.

I have a dial-up 56k modem, therefore, it's not connected all the time. Guess what, I play and test Master Sword while being offline, trust me I know, I do it all the time. If it connected to the net all the time, it would have to be some fancy trick. Yes, it checks for a connection, if it does not find one, it offers you an option to retry the connection or start in offline mode. I had this feature broken before, usually a quick update fixes it, or a restart. It usually brakes only because my comp has crashed while starting Steam, such things happen to any program / file.

If I can run Steam fine, any person with a decent connection can.

- Ewok

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Feh, maybe it works better for 56k than those with a dedicated connection, as it still refuses to run in single player mode on my puter with the network disabled - near as I can tell the thing doesn't realise the network is gone. Same for Kelly, and FFB apparently. I'll play with Cernob's res file and see what happens.

I'm even more sick of the 'wonders of Steam' argument than I am of the 'Steam sucks' argument. I just know from personal experience, this thing's caused me more grief than any piece of software I've ever owned - save for maybe Windows itself. (and even then, marginally) Tis not as if we had problems with everyone playing with outdated copies of the game before Steam - everyone seemed to use the old update system just fine. I don't recall ever losing any clients to an update - we lost tons to Steam.

Can't even use it on the Verizon Fijitsu series DSL modems or the SBC Samsung Gateways due to the funktastic stealth packet system. Took my friend's and I a good three months to figure that one, and then we had to order all new service just to use Steam (or in my case, move). Then there's the fact that, if not for your dilligence, Steam woulda been the end of this Mod.

I don't even see how you use the thing on a 56k modem though - don't you have to download the 600MB of Half-Life files?

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy." -Albert Einstein

Saint Thoth

Ewok

New Adventurer
Reaction score
With patience and a little time, I got Steam and all the games I bothered wanting running on it.

I'm even more sick of the 'wonders of Steam' argument than I am of the 'Steam sucks' argument.

Ones constructive, the other, destructive. The pro's of Steam outweigh the cons, otherwise I doubt you would've moved place just for Steam.

Unfortunately, just because you have a rather bad experience with Steam, doesn't make it so for others. Therefore not making it a bad product.

everyone seemed to use the old update system just fine.

Everyone seems to use the new update system just fine as well. Also, the old update system wasn't a system. There was crap loads of mods having to refer to new builds of Half-Life, making life more mod authors that much less streamline. Steam is way more efficient, it's just a fact.

I don't recall ever losing any clients to an update - we lost tons to Steam.

You always going to loose people each way. Steam i'm sure, added clients as well. Theres an incredibly massive amount of Steam users.

I'm over this whole debating about Steam issue.

- Ewok

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Feh, not worth the trouble... Suffice to say, for the record, I could take the exact opposite position on everything you said, and back it up with enough empirical evidence to make it ring true in court. I would also submit that defending Steam is destructive rather than constructive, as it encourages more systems like it. My friends and I, and the majority of my old clients, hosts, and admins, have just been unfortunate enough to live in that world. With lots and lots of patients, most of us at least have the game going, but it was sooo much easier before, and the client flow didn't return until HL2 was released. :\

But no, I didn't move to make Steam work - but I did have to wait until I moved till I could play it, as the only DSL provider in my area at the time (Verizon) didn't have a network that would work with Steam at that locale. (An issue so common, it reached their India-tech support trouble shooter's lists) More than one ISP setup had this problem.

Thankfully, Steam has been kinder to some than others, and thankfully, there are patient furry critters, like you, willing to save the mods would otherwise disappear forever into its gaping mouth. ;)

"Understanding is a three-edged sword." - Kosh, B5

Saint Thoth

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Steam is good if you don't give up immediately. I'm not blaming anybody or anything.

Thothie, you managed to figure how to run a 'pure' DS under Steam. So you also took the time to figure it out. Right?

Cernobylsky

New Adventurer
Reaction score
:) I m happy coz i m not last person with dial-up :) i have same Ewok :wink:

Thotie : How my files ? Are they good ? :D i wanted to add to zip file my custom skin for steam... but i deleted it long time ago... I try to make new if you want :) and some updates for .res files...

For MS:C devs : I have one idea , it is possible to make GUI menus like in CS 1.6 v19 for MS and MS:C ? (They are similar with HL2 GUI menus and i think, users like them :) )

(Maybe will Devs. of MS:C my skin and res :D If ya i can make special for MS:C)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, unfortunately, when you use the "new game" option, it seems to do the same thing that "Establish a Kingdom" does, in that it tries to start a server. :\ Might be something you can yet do with that menu though.

Yes, J-M, obviously, I got Steam and everything on it working, thanks to having the patients of the gods, and a horrible addiction to Natural Selection, and the need to work with that dev krew again (and, again, the fact that I had to move anyways). Sadly, by the time I got back on from Won, four of the five servers I adminned for had closed their doors due to depopulation (and another four had shut down due to security issues with Steam). Most all of the servers I played on regularly for TFC, NS, DOD, etc, shut their doors before HL2 was released, also due to depopulation, and even Valve was talking about what it would cost them if Steam didn't pick up on the Steampowerered forums and what the alternatives might be. The early Steam statistics were awful compared to the former traffic on Won, and most of the smaller mods simply died. The majority of my e-friends also migrated to other games. Even Flayra and the crew, once adamant Steam defenders, feel so betrayed by Steam (and the S:SDK) they've decided that Natural Selection 2 will be done on the next Unreal engine, rather than Source. (Though there yet maybe an NS1 Source port)

Suffice to say, none of the above would have happened if they hadn't fixed something that wasn't broken, and my gaming life would be a much less painful experience. Feh, but I digress, yet again - back to things that can still be set straight:

Cernob: I've actually never seen the CS1.6 menu (I've never been able to stand the after-life in CS, and haven't played since pre-Valve beta2). Do you have a screenshot of it, or a description of what's better about it? I am curious.

"I could not stand to watch the Japanese people become corrupt... That is why I carved out my eyes." - Mr. Nishida, Gasaraki

Saint Thoth

Cernobylsky

New Adventurer
Reaction score
About Res files :

This is Establish Kingdom :

{

"label" "Establish a Kingdom"

"command" "OpenCreateMultiplayerGameDialog"

}

and this New Game :

{

"label" "#GameUI_GameMenu_NewGame"

"command" "OpenNewGameDialog"

"notmulti" "1"

}

This is buttom play :

"Play"

{

"ControlName" "Button"

"fieldName" "Play"

"xpos" "40"

"ypos" "130"

"wide" "72"

"tall" "24"

"autoResize" "0"

"pinCorner" "0"

"visible" "1"

"enabled" "1"

"tabPosition" "2"

"labelText" "Play"

"textAlignment" "west"

"dulltext" "0"

"command" "Play"

"default" "1"

}

I m don t have Steam SDK maybe it say more to you...

About new GUI this is sample : i like it :D

csmenu.jpg

And this is picture of my own game steam skin :

steamskin.jpg

(I will update this skin soon :D )

It s very simillar to skin for SG:C or MECH MOD (i think they have same skin...) thats reason why i will improve it soon :p

Thats all for today :)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Oooo, sweet transparent skin, me want. ;)

You gotta changes those pics to links though, this forum is kinda silly in that it stretches all the previous posts to comform to your images.

I don't see anything in the code that will help right off, but I'll play with it - must be something that can be done so that people will have an immediate and obvious way to move their character about when they can't start their own server.

"There is only one ratio for pasta to ante-pasta, 1:1."

Saint Thoth

Dogg

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Cernobylsky said:
For MS:C devs : I have one idea , it is possible to make GUI menus like in CS 1.6 v19 for MS and MS:C ?

Having .res files for in-game menus like Source uses would be nice. If you don't like our gui, then u can make your own :). It's not something we'd see in this release of MS:C, but it's a possibility for a patch.

Cernobylsky

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie:

Thx. I will make final version and then send zip file :D

Dogg :

Ok it can be included in patch :) and what about my steam game skin ? :D