Developers: What is the problem with MS_PKLEVEL?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'll put this in the top five most annoying MS 1.35 bugs, and among the ones that might be resolvable... Issue is, ms_pklevel settings do not work unless you have a sucsessful map transition. This happens on every map, and every time the server restarts, forces a map change, or resets.

But what causes it?

...and is this even resolved in MS: C?

Having it set in the server.cfg don't help. You can even stick it on the command line that launches your server, and that don’t help.

There's a rumor about an ms_town entity that may fix it, but I can't find anything on it (as I only have the crappy hacked FGD). I even tried adding teams to maps and forcing all new players to the same team via trigger, but that didn't work either.

I think the issue might be solvable, either via amx plugin or map edits, if we had some clue as to what causes the bug to begin with.

...and does anyone even know? :/

"I see no need to give my name to the dead." - Swordsman Hiko, when asked for his name by an opponent

Saint Thoth

Dogg

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
ms_pklevel was added in 1.3. As I've told you via private message, the coder has since disappeared, along with that code. So I can't help much there.

In the earlier build that we based MS:C off of, there was no ms_pklevel. Now, in MS:C, it's been re-implemented in a way that works.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hmmm.... Damn...

Is there any entity that could affect the pk_level in your copy of the FGD? Maybe this can be fixed with some massive ripenting...

"Well, he's kind of had it in for me, since I accidently ran over his dog. Actually, replace 'accidently' with 'repeatedly', and replace 'dog' with 'son'." -Lionel Hutz

Saint Thoth

stevenlafl

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Hmmm.... Damn...

Is there any entity that could affect the pk_level in your copy of the FGD? Maybe this can be fixed with some massive ripenting...

"Well, he's kind of had it in for me, since I accidently ran over his dog. Actually, replace 'accidently' with 'repeatedly', and replace 'dog' with 'son'." -Lionel Hutz

Saint Thoth

I believe it is msarea_town. It is a solid ent.

usage is as follows:

It is a solid ent, keep in mind still.

{

"classname" "msarea_town"

"pkill" "0"

}

pkill 1 = ALLOW PKING

pkill 0 = DISALLOW PKING

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm.... That raises some questions:

Does the player have to be within the entity for it to work?

Does it merely set the player's PK level as he walks through it?

Does having this entity ANYWHERE on the map simply affect all players? (And if so, why is it not a point entity?)

Does this entity work at all in MS 1.35? :D

I realize Steve doesn't have the answer to any of that... But maybe someone else here does. Meanwhile, all I can do is put something together an experiment - too bad I've no bot to practice with.

I'll stick the ent onto Edana's fountain meantime. See if any clients notice an effect by combing the chat logs.

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." - Abraham Maslow

Saint Thoth

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
msarea_town (maybe it can be found in some decompiled map, not sure) is a brush-based, non-solid (walk-through-able) brush that prevents (or at least should prevent) player killing.

I have never tried it, I've only heard of it. Just make a testmap with a huge brush in it tied to msarea_town, restart your server with it, get somebody who wants to test (I'd like to test it by the way) and try to kill him.

stevenlafl

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
msarea_pklevel (maybe it can be found in some decompiled map, not sure) is a brush-based, non-solid (walk-through-able) brush that prevents (or at least should prevent) player killing.

I have never tried it, I've only heard of it. Just make a testmap with a huge brush in it tied to msarea_pklevel, restart your server with it, get somebody who wants to test (I'd like to test it by the way) and try to kill him.

And what tells this msarea_pklevel to stop pk, or allow it?

There is no msarea_pklevel. It does not exist. I just checked.

• Admin

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well... The fountain in Edana on my server is now an msarea_town (in addition to being a gateroom transition). So if you get the chance to test it... Go ahead and tell me of your results.

"There are two types of laws: just and unjust. I would be the first to advocate obeying just laws. One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws." -Martin Luthur King Jr., activist

Saint Thoth

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Update: This did not work. :(

Apparently simply having the msarea_town on the map does not work, passing through it has no effect... Fighting IN it, I've yet to really test, but even if it does work that way, filling the entire map in msarea_town's is likely not a viable option.

Any other ideas? *sigh*

"FEATURE n. A surprising property of a program. Occasionally documented. See BUG. A bug can be changed to a feature by documenting it."

Saint Thoth

Dogg

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
I'm not going to say this will work for sure, but....

msarea_town is meant to reverse the effect of PK.... only while you're touching it. So the whole map would have to be covered in it, yes. If someone is standing within it, then player attacks on him won't hit.

You might also try messing with "invertpk" (0/1), a property on the worldspawn which is meant to reverse the effect of msarea_town (From only prevent pk while touching townarea, to only allow PK while touching townarea).

Again, all this could be disabled or completely gone in 1.3. I don't know. But it was there in 1.25.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! :D

I'll look into it... Right now my server is down due to need to feed the Otaku beast.

Yeah, pk_level is setup in seperate map configs as well. I suppose I *could* flood maps with msarea_town's via ripent... but, I dunno, I just see it causing problems, somehow. ;)

I can see what adding the inverse option to the worldspawn does... Although I'm afraid it will enable PK on those rare occasions where a natural transition is succseful.