Early Animations

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
Just a progress update. I added some animations to the Knight, my new standard test character. They still need some tweaking; hoping I can recruit an animator (novice or seasoned, doesn't matter, help is appreciated), but we'll get one eventually.

The first video is the First Person view, the main focus. As you can see, some of the swing-attack animations aren't clean/visible, but it's there.
View attachment FirstPerson.mp4

Next up is the Third Person view, which is a secondary focus, but looks a little bit cleaner:
View attachment ThirdPerson.mp4

That's all for now. I'm undecided if I want to continue cleaning up animations or just move on to other gameplay elements, but that's where we are now.

P.S. if anyone's interested in joining/learning how to do animations WITHIN THE EDITOR, I'd be happy to teach - but I don't know my way around other software like Blender/Maya/3dsMax.

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
As much as I hate resorting to pre-made assets to get things moving, it's challenging to lay a visual foundation without artists, and at times unavoidable without specialized help.

My biggest fear is that by not picking a more stylized, low-poly aesthetic, I've inadvertently scared artists away from wanting to create/contribute content. But we can still change course; only time will tell which direction is preferred. In the meantime, I'll just keep plugging away.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
The mechanics of the game are far more important than the visual assets, it's impossible to move forward if you're stuck on how it looks.. as opposed to actual function and playability. You could use literal gray stick figures on an untextured gray plane.. Working on the feel of the game is far more important first, I think..

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
That 3rd person view animation, lmfao.

Though it's no big deal, you should leave it in for now for the fun of it. Reminds me of the drop kick animation in dying light, seeing other people do it was weird and funny at the sametime.

So go focus on other stuff you have in mind, it's working as intended right (not the animation but the gameplay element)?

Jelly

Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Love it! Amazing job as always!

I vote that next milestone is that there is a Giant Rat that exists in the world, and that you can hit with the sword, and that can take damage and die.

That is where the first gameplay loop is.

Kermit

Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
MSR Developer
Reaction score
That looks fucking dope.

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score