Enchantments

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Heh, well, this is somewhat self-explanitory...but i suggest that weapons and armor be enchantable ^_^

For example, you could enchant a shortsword with fire to make it do extra fire damage, without making it do less physical damage, or you could enchant it with a magical poison - for a venom effect.

You could also enchant armor, things like "of protection" would give either greater armor values, or protection from specific monster classes. If you need more ideas for enchantments, I suggest looking through the "Might and Magic" series (well, the ones that were made when 3DO was in charge).

The way a player could get weapons enchanted could vary depending on multiple factors...

1) strength of enchantment
2) usefulness of enchantment
3) what item is being enchanted
4) type of enchantment

So, low level enchantments for weapons could be handled by mages scattered about in towns, whereas higher end enchantments would be the reward of difficult quests.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I know I've suggested enchanting spells before -_-

Well... now that it's picking up speed....... I'm all for it :p

Course I believe the last time I had mentioned it, Thothie had replied along the lines of "That's what Helm of Fire Resistance is, an enchanted item"...

I don't think he likes the idea of having temp-spell enchantments... :(
BUTTTT... if they are considered/worked-on... I lean towards Vampiric self-enchantment. Where it has a bone-blade like effect, but for any melee weapon you are using... it could be similar to Ice Shield, like a 20 or 30 second time limit plus, perhaps, half a second more per level of SC.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
the idea for this is that you'd have an item like a scimitar, and take it to a mage in a city...and he'd be all "Gimmeh 10000 coin, bizatch!" and you'd be all "kai" and he'd be all *whazaam* and then you have a "Scimitar of the flame" which deals the normal scimitar damage, plus some fire damage.

of course, this could vary by enchantment...but its meant to be more or less permanent.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
would be good. and to avoid spammage, after a weapon is enchanted, nothing else can be done to it OR no more enchantments can be done to it.

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Before thothie took command of msc, I asked Kuroneko about the same thing and he said it wasn't possible with current script system.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's possible - but basically the item gets replaced with the "upgraded" version. Again, this is all part of the intention with the mining/smithing system.

edit: d'oh - this is source chatter...

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
any of my ideas could be adapted for use in MS:C 1.1

unless its something REAAALLY specific to source...

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Like a big map that doesn't lag to hell? :oldlol:

As to the enchantment suggestions; they sound a whole lot like Might&Magic VIII & IX (8 & 9)... where you enchant it once, then it can't be played with anymore :D

Usually, to make insane profits on weapons in M&M-IX, I buy cheapo crap, enchant it, sell it (usually getting a 10x profit) 8)

I doubt many of you like M&M-IX (for those big on the Might & Magic series), just because it got a bad review about being a bit puzzling (I love the puzzles, removes some of the seemingly present linearness).

vecraude

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hmmm...how about putting down enchanting under SC so that you can pick up books and scolls for better elemental enchantments and as you lvl it you have more of a possability of dealing more damage or just flat out succeeding in the enchanting process?

I mean enchanting would probably come in handy cause if there are elemental specific enemies and you enchant your weapon for the opposing element and your armor for the same element than you could null out things like freezing and burning and be able to deal decent amounts of damage at the same time making it a more fair fight due to elemental attacks.

But make it to where you would have to splooge a ton of golds on the materials needed to do the enchantment...like say....your echants lvl 3 and you use a simple fire enchant...well ya gotta have a red jewel to do it...so you go to town and talk to the magic merchant for a jewel and it costs 600golds...buy that and then enchant but remember theres a possability of failing the enchanting attempt.

So the player has all possabilities covered and like all magic...it consumes MP so yea.

Now as for something like maybe....lets toss in a jewel called a sharp diamond....ok 2400 golds to get and it increases sharp weapon damage. Hmm now this skill would probably be for enchant lvl 8 or so and maybe have a greater risk of failing but would be worth the damage +12% to attack.

With a jewel or gem system players not only think about it but will find more entertainment making all sorts of enchanted gear *if they can afford it lol*. :wink:

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I am starting to think, based off the beginning of your post vecraude, that enchantments should be temporary... I mean, what if you really do see a certain type of elemental & you want to enchant your favorite weapon with something that'll counter it? Perma-enchants would make things nasty in that type of situation... and the temp-enchants could work like Glow does; oh-so-long before going away (but since they are stronger, maybe about 15 seconds +1.5 per lvl of SC)...

As to needing tons of gold & materials to actually perform the enchantment; WTF!? Why not just see the monster you wanna kill using something that'll hurt it, run back to a city or NPC, enchant, run back to so said monster, re-find so said monster, kill it!?!? TOO MUCH TIME EXPENSE! The MP consumption alone is good enough; it could cost a base 250 MP; and maybe it could lower by 5 or 10 MP cost per lvl of SC.... That'd work out nicely (IMO) :p

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
howbout theres two types of enchantment...

normal enchantments only last X ammount of time, perhaps dependant on your Magic level...but at a fairly high level, you can cast another spell to make the current enchantment permanent.

vecraude

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hmmm...yea make a perma enchant scroll so that people who want to perma enchant stuff can but they have to have SC of...hmm how about 15? or 20 :3. And as for the magic cost...I wouldnt say as far as 250 as i would maybe about 120 MP per enchant and yes the X amount of time idea is also a great idea to put in there.

Im still sticking to the jewel and gem idea though cause think about it...it would be like looking at a bejeweled blade of PWNBANE or somthin like that lol. But seriously one enchant per item, time should be 7.0 sec with a .3 second increase per lvl of SC and should be as equally expensive financially as is magically.

I think that all is covered and Im satisfied all together by the sheer idea of there possably bein a MS:S....but adding in ideas never hurt either.

.:)3)<----- lol, poring

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Enchantments that can be initiated at the player's bequest, of any kind, will be welcome by me :p

Since our creative input & output seems to be over... lets call it good & just start hoping they (being the MSC coders) actually take these suggestions to heart :p