FN server issues

CmdrQuartz

New Adventurer
Reaction score
very recently, yesterday and today, I've had issues with staying connected to the FN servers, not the service the servers themselves, I just get dropped for seemingly no reason. I'd almost assume the servers are crashing but after disconnecting the servers were all there, but hlds doesn't exactly take long to start back up. Not having internet issues elsewhere so I really don't think it's my end. Ran the entirety of orc_for early yesterday or the day before just fine. I guess I did buy a shield, just a normal one, but I haven't been experiencing any personal lag like other people have talked about so I hadn't considered it at first but perhaps shields are causing a memory leak on servers.

Edit: Haven't had any issues with the basic shields on my private server either, which is also why I didn't think about it. something up with the FN service backend?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Getting a lot of reports of shield related issues, but dunno why at the moment. Sadly, best advice I can give is to bag the shield. (Not wear it, mind ye, but backpack it.)

CmdrQuartz

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Probably will, just hadn't thought of it until making the post. Then there's the thing with my private server not having issues, figured that might help direct the issue since it seems it would be related to the FN communication, not necessarily the servers themselves. But I am untrained eyes trying to look at a mesh of gears from the outside, so grain of salt.

Is there a way to get a copy of my Fn character? Could see if I have the same problem with that character on my private server.

Edit: Just tried to join a server with people in it and immediately got dropped, and I have since thrown away my shield and I don't have anything in the bank. Still having this issue, seems like I'm somehow crashing the servers because even though the server seemed like it was still up and I simply reconnected all the mobs had reset, it was mscave and I'm pretty sure none of the orcs respawn.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The only clue that it's worse on-line than via LAN suggests, is that it might be causing the character to save repeatedly. My best guess is that it's rapidly changing the parry value, triggering a save every frame, which the client must confirm with the server, and visa versa, but I can't look into it from here. (Or something else is causing a server<->client update every frame that shouldn't be - it wouldn't be as pronounced on LAN.)

A shield is an active entity, be it in inventory, hand, or the world. Items in the Galat bank, however, don't exist until you actually spawn the Galat chest and open it. Until then, it's just a list of strings in your character data, so I don't see how anything in a Galat chest could cause lag (or really, any problem, outside of the chest - at least not that wouldn't also stop your character loading entirely.)

CmdrQuartz

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Everything seems to be back to normal, I guess something still hung around after I tossed the shield away as nothing else has changed.