Issues with new update: Broken installer.

Domon3rt

New Adventurer
Reaction score
WIth the new release of the February installer I am unable to install the game, it constantly crashing/failing to extract multiple files throughout each attempt at installing. I've played this game for ages and i'm kinda bummed that I deleted the last version and unable to downgrade in the meantime. Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I tried running in administrative mode, and also compatibility mode just in case, same results.

Domon3rt

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sorry I forgot to mention it was the Full installer, and I forget specifically, i deleted the file after multiple attempts, something about error writing, but I changed drives, extracted to different folders, everything. I even found a dec2010a installer and attempted to use the patch, while it fully completed, I attempted to launch the game and nothing.
No error messages. Running on windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Even if you run the FEB2015a installer as administrator, and try to install it to some folder for which you have write permissions (so that you can move it later), it doesn't work?

And you mention no error messages. Does the installer just quit? I'm running the same OS as you and have no such problems so I'm trying to figure out what's going on.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Might be corrupted: Delete, download again.

Might be file permissions (should generate errors in detail view):
- Find <your_steampath>\steam\steamapps\common\half-life\
- Delete the msc folder (Assuming full installer.)
- Right click on the installer exec, click "Run as Administrator"
- Make sure it is pointing to <your_steampath>\steam\steamapps\common\half-life\msc
- Cross fingers
- Sacrifice two babies to Gabe Newell

Should be good.

Domon3rt

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I've fixed the underyling issues.

1. Something was wrong with my Half Life itself. verified the files, 2 came back replaced.
2. The First installer you guys released I could not get to work period, i changed folders, administrative mode, compatibility, you name it.
3. The latest installer as of now feb2015d, I was able to have it completely install via changing petitions it was installing on, cut/paste into the proper folder.

Also misc question. I am running your HLDS Auto restarter v1.35 for my own server (I'm very lone wolf, and I generally do not play on public servers because I play off and on.) it says it needs updated. Is there a link/way to update or no reason to?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Eh, I don't recall any of the variants of my restarter being smart enough to know if they were out of date or not... So that's a tad worrisome. Where'd ya get it?

Also, if you encounter a corrupt installer like this again, that everyone else seems to be able to download just fine, regardless of which game it's for, two things to check:
1) Make sure you aren't using any sort of download accelerator plugin.
2) Clear your internet cache before downloading the same file again.
Sometimes, when you re-download the same file, browsers will pull it from your cache, instead of the website - so if it downloads corrupted, it'll keep downloading corrupted, until the cache is cleared.

Domon3rt

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm starting to think it may of been the cache that was corrupting the download. At first Chrome warned me about the file being potentially dangerous, but redownloaded twice more, and then used a seperate program called jdownloader. Both failed until the latest update.

As for the HLDS, It's been a loooong time since i downloaded it. I am 95% sure it was a file from you, and from this page. http://www.thothie.com/ms/

The link is now 404 so I can not confirm. but heres a screenie.

bleh.png

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Looks like ya indeed found one of the older versions - I really need to update my old thothie.com page - or just redirect it here... It got torn to shreds when my last host absconded, ain't been the same since.

Try this one from the HLDS Setup Tutorial Thread

Also, yeah, ticks me off how Chrome now considers just about any executable a virus - gonna scare some people away from our installers.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Updated that page a bit - fixed some urls, nixed the ones I no longer have files for, redirected some others, fixed thumbnails/views - didn't update the map list though... Still doesn't like a lot of browsers, but hey, should be less apt to cause confusion should someone reach it. (And, most importantly, of course, fixed the Gabe Newell Eats Babies link - cuz damn, we can't possibly live without that blowing your ears out, can we!?)

Since it's an index page, you may have to clear your cache before it updates.