Michigan... How Long Will It Last?

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
For those who don't live in the state of Michigan, in the United States Of America, and those who don't read, or watch, the news... Michigan has been experiencing some extreme financial issues of late... such as the $1.7-billion deficit, and the budget battle going on at the capitol. To fix the issue, democrats want to increase income taxes from 3.9% to 4.6%. One democrat and every republican have voted "no" to doing that. Even if they could pass it, the state would still be in a $7-hundred-million deficit, as it'll only bring in $1-billion (hehe, only one-billion-dollars).

Some of the scares the local media has been making... include the claim that if this budget plan isn't decided on by this October 31st, 2007, that a good number of Public Schools will have to shut down.

Here's an example online news site that is reporting on it:
http://www.mea.org/public/

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Alabama's been bankrupt for 5 years now. State no longer funds education, police, or anything really. Oddly enough, it's still on the map.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
And I thought California had some problems... Oh wait, we do... With electricity.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tis what ya get for privatizing public utilities. Morons...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Tis what ya get for privatizing public utilities. Morons...

Tis what you get for electing the Governator. Morons... ;-)

Mikkel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Small Country FTW!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Tis what you get for electing the Governator. Morons... ;-)
Actually we had the privitized electricity and brownouts before the Governator started draining power to keep his cyborge systems going.

Enron was pre-Governator.

So is the fact that our few nuclear power plants operate at less than 5% capacity, and that most of our geo-thermal stations are on perpetual standby (four of which are all built at the same location, and have powered nothing but their own lightning since they were built 20 years ago). We're kinda run by oil-sheiks out here, so we don't like alternative energy sources.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Cuith said:
Well hell, look how much debt the US as a whole is in, and its still a country.

Yeah isn't it like 6 or 7 trillion dollars? And china is buying up all our debt! Yay "communism"

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
soon china will make america its bitch, hopefully by that time I will be living in japan :p

Wrath

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Blasto121 said:
soon china will make america its ****, hopefully by that time I will be living in japan :p

Same gotta get out of America before bush does something really stupid!
:wink:

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Blasto121 said:
soon china will make america its ****, hopefully by that time I will be living in japan :p

Why do you want to live there so bad? Isn't it super crowded and the food extremely expensive?

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Red Cell said:
Blasto121 said:

Why do you want to live there so bad? Isn't it super crowded and the food extremely expensive?
I'd live in Japan...

Also, with regards to Michigan...I blame Ford.

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
But why would you want to live in japan?

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Red Cell said:
But why would you want to live in japan?

Been there twice myself, I love the people and the culture. Yes Japan is crowded and the immigration rules for Japan are crazy (lived in Japan for no less than 5 years, must pass a test, and if you passed you must renounce all other citizenships). However the land scape, the people, the culture, the food, and countless other small things all add up to a wonderful place to be.

Most of it just comes down to opinion though, just because I view it this way others may beg to differ.

given a chance I would love to live in hitoyoshi, its a rather small town compared to others. It is up in the mountains regions of Japan, and most of the buildings are very much traditional.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hmm... sounds nice.
*/me imagines a tsunami... a volcano... and an earthquake on the same day.*
OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! But... it could work, still...
*/me imagines GODZILLA, gettem Gamera!*
Screw that.
:oldlol:

I'd probably prefer to live in Thailand: home 1000mbp connections at not too bad prices. Since I don't buy prostitutes *cough*transvestites*cough*, I could afford it.
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=thailand

And yes, I know some of you dislike that page... but it is still funny.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Can you say storm drain?

storm_drain_01_sm.jpg

This storm drain is designed to handle tsunamis, and any other large volumes of water. After everything happens to get the water pumped to different locations they use modified jet turbines. They pump some freaky amount of water.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Okay, since, apparently, Michigan Government workers don't work on weekends... and the deadline is on Monday... Michigan Government is Now Down & Dead! BANKRUPTCY FOR THE GOVERNMENT!!! Anarchist won this round...

So amusing, Democrats & Republicans crushed Michigan's budget, effectively shut down all state parks, and the under-funded schools (my school, sadly, is well funded)...

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
Okay, since, apparently, Michigan Government workers don't work on weekends... and the deadline is on Monday... Michigan Government is Now Down & Dead! BANKRUPTCY FOR THE GOVERNMENT!!! Anarchist won this round...

So amusing, Democrats & Republicans crushed Michigan's budget, effectively shut down all state parks, and the under-funded schools (my school, sadly, is well funded)...
Meanwhile, Ford makes Michigan bend over...
I'm surprised your state government didn't try to ask the auto business there to help...But then again, if they didn't, you probably should have no state government...I mean, COME ON! You can't run any government without the ability to mooch off of big business.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
If you are suggesting Ford business could, let alone would, be able to pay off Michigan's $1.7billion deficit... then you must be on shrooms right now. Besides, Governments, at least in America, aren't to be heavily influenced or controlled by businesses... sure, some are corrupt & lets businesses influence & manipulate them anyways, but even so, not that openly to paying off a deficit that is so massive.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
If you are suggesting Ford business could, let alone would, be able to pay off Michigan's $1.7billion deficit... then you must be on shrooms right now. Besides, Governments, at least in America, aren't to be heavily influenced or controlled by businesses... sure, some are corrupt & lets businesses influence & manipulate them anyways, but even so, not that openly to paying off a deficit that is so massive.
Ford could've at least assisted in alleviating debt...And if you are actually suggesting that our government is not affected by business...You are 100% on crack.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Re-read what I posted Sabre. You should... no, you must. :D

I didn't say our government isn't manipulated by what big businesses want: I said they aren't openly manipulated. Your suggestion to Ford helping Michigan beyond paying taxes & financing a political candidates election, in part, is too open for any business to do & get away with. They could donate money to help, but then there'd be no ties to give them power. If they openly said "we'll give you this money if you become our puppets", or in any other wording leading to as such situation, regulatory agencies would crack down on them.

So, no, I'm not on crack. I'm just being a realist. I know businesses influence government, greatly. But I also know they aren't open about it like you seem to think or want.