MSC Gibbing

Raider666

New Adventurer
Reaction score
So I was reading the post about the errorz with gibbing in the bug reports and wondered..... why not just put gibbing back into msc? Seriously who wouldnt want to smash a rat into tiny guts? Make it engage only if the player deals a huge enough damage past the death of the monster based on a % of the monsters HP. It would fix this bug and add back a nice touch in HL that MS removed... i personally find games with gibbing way better. I hate that they removed it in HL2, but yeah. Lets smash some orcs into guts!

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Could be a new project for modelers.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If we can't stop monsters from gibbing, what makes you think we can make them gib on purpose? ;)

Adding a script function to make certain monsters gib when they take an insane amount of damage would be easy, actually, but it wouldn't stop whatever's breaking the monster's death function from time to time. Problem with unintentional gibbing is the monster's death sequence breaks, causing it not to realize it's dead.

Wouldn't require new models though, gibs are in there - just wouldn't fix the bug.

What would require modeling, is I'd like to see skeletons disintegrate when they die from holy damage - and an animation so they can crawl out of the ground.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Well not necessarily require new models but would be nice to have new specific ones. (orcs, skeles)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Got gibs that'd work for rats and boars, got bone gibs for skeles. Think orcs are a bit big to gib, but we do have a set of alien gibs that might look right if you didn't use green blood. All in the standard HL package.

Downside to skeleton, however, is that'd mean adding a model to the precache. Might be able to work it out as a submodel set though. The standard flesh gibs precache as part of half-life, but I don't think the bone gibs do.

Again, does nothing for the bug though. Monster has to know it's dead on the script side (or at least not hang its death sequence) to gib properly.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Adding a script function to make certain monsters gib when they take an insane amount of damage would be easy

You attack Maldora. (35/20) HIT! 100000000000.0 damage.
You've gibbed Maldora
* 20000 XP Awarded

:mrgreen:

Raider666

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I dont think by any means that orcs are too big to gib. I will model up a nice set specifically for orcs with submodel 2 as shad orcs and submodel 3 as undead orcs. Green skin with red guts... easy enough. Sorry guys i just want to explode some orcs with my axe thats all

Edit: and that crawling out of the ground animation is cake thothie, ill get you an smd for it stat that will apply for all the msc skeletons except the huge ones. Just add it as a last animation in the .qc's you have and recompile. ill put it in a new thread in the modeling section along with my gibs...

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
is I'd like to see skeletons disintegrate when they die from holy damage.

A modeler cant make that particular thing happen, it would have to be coding. (even then I doubt you could do it without a particle effect system).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It could be done, but you'd need a new skeleton (er, the other kind of skeleton) and altered mesh - presuming all you want it to do is fall apart. I can deal with that via a submodel, although having the proper armor bits on said submodel might be tricky. Could toss in a particle effect and a modeled pile of dust as well, if ye so desired (we do have a particle effect system, after all, even if it is sprite based.)

A less complicated (and totally unrelated) animation I'd like to have is skeletons that crawl out of the ground. Dodging would also be nice, for our more agile skeles.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
A less complicated (and totally unrelated) animation I'd like to have is skeletons that crawl out of the ground.
Ask me that about 6 months ago and I would have given you a link to it. But now I can't for the life of me find it (deleted most likely :oldangry: ) I can try to recreate it but I am going to be gone for a bit starting next week.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
model based oculd be done but I rather see it code based.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Code based would involve a hell of a lot of overhead. There's no engine function to make an object move through a solid brush and still push things around it out of the way. Things may potentially get stuck inside one another as well.

Model based assumes I make the skele invisible, drop him from the sky, then make him visible once he hits the ground (or spawn him on the ground before the player enters the area). On the first frame, the model will be entirely under the ground, then crawl up. The entire time the monster's actual collision box will be in the final standing destination, so there's no risk of anything getting stuck inside anything else.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Code based would involve a hell of a lot of overhead. There's no engine function to make an object move through a solid brush and still push things around it out of the way. Things may potentially get stuck inside one another as well.

Model based assumes I make the skele invisible, drop him from the sky, then make him visible once he hits the ground (or spawn him on the ground before the player enters the area). On the first frame, the model will be entirely under the ground, then crawl up. The entire time the monster's actual collision box will be in the final standing destination, so there's no risk of anything getting stuck inside anything else.

I think I im lost :oops: I thought you were talking about the divination disinigration thing? But anyway, couldn't the modeler just start the skeleton animation by moving further down and make the animation that way?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Was responding to FER's comment, which followed Barnum's regarding the "crawl out of ground" animation, thus assumed he was speaking of same.

I assume the first frame would place the skeleton below ground, thus, as stated, "On the first frame, the model will be entirely under the ground, then crawl up."

Disintegrate should probably be an animation function, for it to look nice (all bones just fall into a nice neat pile). Otherwise would just use the gib function, which is random, messy, server intensive, and requires separate model.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I was talking about disintigration, but even then theres a big gap between saying "disintigrate" and "falling apart"

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
FER said:
I was talking about disintigration, but even then theres a big gap between saying "disintigrate" and "falling apart"
Context. >_>

Well, thinking a combination type thing... Like in Morrowind, I guess. Bones fall in a neat pile, together with some dust made up of another model. Either that or I'm thinking the Scooby-doo style skeleton disassembly, where they play the muted xylophone. ;) Easier on server sans particles though.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
i get what your saying thothie basically for a cooler affect the model would fall to the ground in pieces, considering its a skeleton. then a particle effect would trigger at the origin of the model, giving off a disintegration effect. as this is happening, the model would fade, the end result being a pile of bone dust.