Need a script for an upcomming map?

Srgnt Rehab

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
[Thothie: Trashing this thread pending rebuild, useless as is]

Gonna ask again if people would mind helping me make monsters, never saw an answer before roll back.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Srgnt Rehab said:
Gonna ask again if people would mind helping me make monsters, never saw an answer before roll back.
PM map sauce and monster script requests to me and/or CrazyMonkeyDude. I'm going to be quite busy next month or two with Sorc_Villa scripts, so you may want to rely on the fabulous one.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
...or make your own damned scripts! :p

Temporary test script package, for mappers (pending a proper one being made):
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/Test_Sc ... e_Beta.rar
A lot of the examples provided are bad, as many of them are old convention, or have mystery issues (usually commented upon). The documentation is also not really geared towards non-developers, and even the example script "How_to_make_a_monster.script" makes things appear much more complex than they are, and needs a re-write.

.script files can be opened with notepad, as can the ms.stx EditPlus syntax file, which doubles as a nearly complete, if cumbersome, reference (page down a bit to see the actual entries). EditPlus is your best bet when working with scripts though, so long as you configure it to use that ms.stx file.

To test scripts need to be in the msc/test_scripts folder, and are referenced in monster entities via the "Custom Script File" property, omitting the ".script" extension. (eg. test_scripts/my_crazy_monster)

To access them, ms_dev_mode must be set to 1 in your server.cfg/listenserver.cfg. You cannot be connected to FN. While ms_dev_mode is set to 1, your character will not save. You'll need to close out Half-Life(MSC) to play normally again.

Note that you cannot make items with the test script system (more of a limitation of the system than security). If you need a quest item for an NPC, I suggest substituting with one of the keys until we can make a proper one for you.

Not that we *wont* make scripts for ye, mind you... But here's your chance to make your own and test them, without having to wait for us.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Just copy + pasted two of the scripts you uploaded (Shadahar alchemist and Torkalath novice), renamed them to utest01.script and utest02.script, respectively, changed a few things, like this:
Code:
const BUSY_COMMENT "One at a time or you can just gtfo tbh"

And then I made a quick test map with fancy buttons to spawn these scripts, referenced exactly as:
test_scripts/utest01
test_scripts/utest02
Started my server with ms_dev_mode "1"

And nothing works. And the button ---> monsterspawn ---> monster chaining isn't at fault, because replacing one of them with monsters/rat worked just fine. Is this broken or am I doing something wrong?

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Did you include ms_dev_mode thingeh?

Also, despite what Thoth says, I think you have to use .script

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I think Thoth buggered it. Compiling a fix...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Until Thoth puts out the fix, here's the work around:

When you reference your monster through dev commands or your map file, continue to use "test_scripts/" (NOT using .script)

HOWEVER, the folder you should actually put your test scripts into is msc/scripts/

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Wait... What? :\ My dev_spider.script test script works fine in \test_scripts... :\

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
You sure it still works under the patch? And are you sure that it's actually loading the one from /test_scripts/ ? According to the code it's loading from /scripts/

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Will any more documentation be coming anytime soon? I seriously can't figure this out.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
You sure it still works under the patch? And are you sure that it's actually loading the one from /test_scripts/ ? According to the code it's loading from /scripts/
Yeah, I don't even have a scripts directory... I r confused.

jon50559 said:
Will any more documentation be coming anytime soon? I seriously can't figure this out.
I suspect I should have just supplied three examples and the all_docs and left it at that for you to play with... But yes, the plan is to write up a section in the wiki with a full reference, syntax, concepts, and a few step-by-step walk-throughs.

It's really pretty simple to just adjust existing scripts to do what you want, as provided... It gets complicated when you try to do things that haven't been laid out (or client side effects, when you get to play with vectors, and some of the more haphazard scripting areas, where bugs crop up.)

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I have found it out!..
The work around.

you need the scripts in BOTH test_scripts & scripts, the game will link to them in test_scripts but read the files in the regular scripts. (no .script still)

eg
scripts/my_script/script (read file)
and
test_scripts/my_script/script (placeholder file)

the test_scripts is kinda like a placeholder, unless the script your using needs to include... then you have to edit the files. in the test_scripts.

it's a little confusing to explain but it's how I got mine to work. XD

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Still don't get this... Like I said, I've got no msc/scripts folder. :\

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Still don't get this... Like I said, I've got no msc/scripts folder. :\

hmmm.. well it's also been working fine for me too ... Yesterday.. and not until earlier today it buggered up on me so I had to try and fix it.. I got the two folder thing as my solution.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
It's really pretty simple to just adjust existing scripts to do what you want, as provided... It gets complicated when you try to do things that haven't been laid out (or client side effects, when you get to play with vectors, and some of the more haphazard scripting areas, where bugs crop up.)

And then you end up with a cracked skull and blood on your desk. >_<