need some opinions about this 1

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
uhm i was thinking to start working on maps or weapon modelling because its one thing that i would enjoy for sure and it was my objective to become one of those when i started playing hl modifications. The point is i need a suggestion if i should take the mapping side or weapon modelling side, i seriously dont know, still i think the mapping side is more enjoyable and entertainable than the modelling.

PS: I`m a newbie at this now need some instructions if you guys could help me out with a good selection. Probably the more handfull side for this community.

Instructions i need are : -programs to use...
- some hints on how to create really good stuff if possible...
-and finally (i think) good comments about my 1st model/map lol...

I´ll try to dedicate some of my free time when im bored of playing to work on one fo those. SUGGESTIONS PLZ! :?

EDIT:Im going to mark a end date of suggetions so i could decide with the comments on what to take, so uhm the end date should be the start of july (1st july is when i decide).

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
i think i created in the wrong section but I NEED OPINIONS NAW! :mrgreen:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'd suggest mapping, as there's a question as to whether any new patches are going to be made for MSC for a long time (and thus models added to the game). The mapping end, however, should be compatible with both the current incarnation of MSC and whatever the next bit will be, provided you're willing to constrain yourself to existing NPCs and monsters.

Be forewarned, however, both are extraordinarily complicated and time consuming endeavors. 90% of people who start either of them find they've bitten off more than they can chew. If you are a student more than part-time, or have a job where you work somewhere other than your house, you probably cannot invest the time required to learn these skills. (And probably shouldn't, if you value your life.) ;)

That having been said, there's plenty of links for learning mapping and modeling in the stickies, read them. ;)

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Modelling is in some ways easier and less time consuming that mapping, plus you dont need to test the model ingame all the time.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I'd suggest mapping, as there's a question as to whether any new patches are going to be made for MSC for a long time (and thus models added to the game). The mapping end, however, should be compatible with both the current incarnation of MSC and whatever the next bit will be, provided you're willing to constrain yourself to existing NPCs and monsters.

Be forewarned, however, both are extraordinarily complicated and time consuming endeavors. 90% of people who start either of them find they've bitten off more than they can chew. If you are a student more than part-time, or have a job where you work somewhere other than your house, you probably cannot invest the time required to learn these skills. (And probably shouldn't, if you value your life.) ;)

That having been said, there's plenty of links for learning mapping and modeling in the stickies, read them. ;)

uhm yeah i knew about most people that start with this end quickly normaly but anyways ill try it and see if how long i can keep it up, btw im a student. I think i have loads of time next year of school and this summer also to start practising something new. I´m beginning to get tired of playing games thats why i decided to come up with this. If i stop playing my 4-6 hours per day normally what will i do ... i guess i can do something better by taking some of those hours to work on a model or map.Thanks for the help i´ll start searching on the old posts about modelling/mapping.

FER said:
Modelling is in some ways easier and less time consuming that mapping, plus you dont need to test the model ingame all the time.

I tought on that either because i already noticed the time that a map takes to get released and i also think i dont have enough potential for that lol. I´m starting to think to visit the modelling side but thothie suggested mapping, even that its the hardest. I guess i need some more opinions from the community. At least some posts saying what would be better and more appreciated one of those...

Waiting for more opinions.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
At least theres more than enough mapping tutorials here and in the web.

Same goes for modelling... until you get to UV mapping. I have yet to find a good tutorial about UVmapping properly (with or witout the use of 3Dmax)

Also modelling might requiere knowledge about skinning if you want to complete it all by yourself if don't like to rely on others
to get the skinning done or use random textures found on the web.