Newbie mapping questions

RibaldRon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I started working on a HL (MS:C oriented :p) map, which I think is turning out fairly well.. I have a few problems, however..

When using the Vertex tool, sometimes i'll misclick slightly and get a weird little blue drag box thing that NEVER GOES AWAY and prevents me from using the vertex tool until I restart hammer. What the crap is it, how do I get rid of it, and how do I make use of this feature for something useful?

When using the vertex tool, do I want to merge planes when it gives me the option to do so?

Once upon a time, I had MS:C scripts for things like ms_player_start or whatever, but I don't seem to have them anymore, and what's worse is I can't seem to find a tutorial that has allowed me to get them back again.

How flamed would I get for making a four-sided, blocky pyramid? :oops:

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
RibaldRon said:
I started working on a HL (MS:C oriented :p) map, which I think is turning out fairly well..
Awesome.

RibaldRon said:
When using the Vertex tool, sometimes i'll misclick slightly and get a weird little blue drag box thing that NEVER GOES AWAY and prevents me from using the vertex tool until I restart hammer. What the crap is it, how do I get rid of it, and how do I make use of this feature for something useful?
Hit enter and it will go away.

RibaldRon said:
When using the vertex tool, do I want to merge planes when it gives me the option to do so?
Yes.

RibaldRon said:
Once upon a time, I had MS:C scripts for things like ms_player_start or whatever, but I don't seem to have them anymore, and what's worse is I can't seem to find a tutorial that has allowed me to get them back again.
Use the msc1.4.fgd located in your msc/dev folder. Monster scripts are located here.

RibaldRon said:
How flamed would I get for making a four-sided, blocky pyramid? :oops:
Depends on how it looks (meaning, give us some screen shots).

RibaldRon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Short, to the point, very helpful - my kind of reply! I will post some screenshots when i'm happy with them, I still need to add a lot of basic things, like light..

Well, a few more questions..

I read a tutorial for setting Hammer up, and i've got the Build Programs set up properly, except for the Game executable, where it suggests using Steam. Not sure if that is correct.

However, the Game Config is a little more iffy for me - I followed a Counter-Strike tutorial, and I guess CS has a different base game executable than half-life, so i'm having a little trouble translating that to MS:C.. (my settings were shortened to make it easier to read)

Game Executable Directory
SteamApps\account\half-life

Mod Directory
SteamApps\account\half-life\msc

Game Directory
SteamApps\account\half-life\msc

RMF Directorry
SteamApps\account\half-life\valve\maps

I'm sure one or more of those is incorrect..

I keep getting an error that says blocks are out of the world, what's a good way to fix this? All i've found suggested not putting any blocks right on the border, which I haven't, and it's still not working.

And yes, a block pyramid. :p I started working on the map a long time ago and the morning after I was like "oh. Crap." It's just a huge square with tiers - unfortunately i've got a maze that goes in and out of the pyramid, so I can't convert it to a triangular slanted building, although, the puzzles on the outside of an actual pyramid would be *MUCH* cooler, and of course, aesthetically pleasing. Also out of my abilities.

Edit: oh yeah, I need a method to prevent people from using spells to reach the upper tiers, not that it would really matter much, I guess. I think you know what spells I mean :p

Translation: it's orcish architecture, okay? 8)

tehrilez

New Adventurer
Reaction score
couldn't you just make invisible walls where you need to keep people out?

RibaldRon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
tehrilez said:
couldn't you just make invisible walls where you need to keep people out?

Well, I want people to be able to get there, and drop down, if they wish, I just don't want people to be able to move upwards.

replica said:
http://www.twhl.co.za/tutorial.php?id=86 read this tutorial about setting up hammer with steam.

about the brushes being outside of world read this:
http://www.slackiller.com/tommy14/errors.htm#outside

First link was VERY helpful, still reading through the second one, hopefully I will be able to fix all of these errors! :D thanks a bunch!

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Or you can read my tutorial on how to set up Hammer with Steam. I also have other tutorials in there you can read. And if you want to know other stuff, tell me to make a tutorial for that.

(Link is in my sig).

RibaldRon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
P|Barnum said:
Or you can read my tutorial on how to set up Hammer with Steam. I also have other tutorials in there you can read. And if you want to know other stuff, tell me to make a tutorial for that.

(Link is in my sig).

Yes, I already read your tutorial, that's what confused me:p
I don't actually play counter-strike so seeing references to email\counter-strike and then email\counter-strike\cstrike was confusing, as I would assume the base directory for counter-strike would be email\CS :p

Edit to clarify: your example is Counter-strike\cstrike, however, I don't know what the exe is for msc in the msc folder

Still completely stumped on how to fix all of these 'brush outside world' errors, hlfix apparently doesn't do anything about them.. :?: I guess i'll have to locate each individual brush and make them over again.

What's a fast way to locate each brush by number? Edit: found it! i'm a very big noob :(

Littlefrodo

New Adventurer
Reaction score
...::For all Carebears! Put this information in ur carebook, Carebox oo whatever::....

I dont even know how vertex tool works :oldshock: When i've tryed i get shapes without some sides at all lol?
:wink:

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Well, seeing how Counter-Strike is a mod off of Half-Life, it would be the same with MSC.

email\counter-strike == email\half-life\

email\counter-strike\cstrike == email\half-life\msc

Steam just fuxed it up but not leaving Counter-Strike in the Half-Life folder. Confusing I know.

RibaldRon

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Okay.. now I just need to figure out how to run this with MSC (even a LAN game crashes it, since the map is not [FN] approved) so that I can spawn some monsters and test them out.. and of course test it with multiple people. :p

Thothie said:
:arrow: Map testing:
- Port your map to Valve/maps for structural testing. Copy the ms wads, and sub folders to the valve folder (except dlls/client_dlls folders) to allow this to work without error.
- Instead of using the Create Server function, use map mapname in console. You'll have access to more testing features this way.
- In console type developer 1 and r_speeds 1 to view map performance. Try to avoid having more than 3k wpolys at any angle the player can see.
- Use gl_wireframe 2 to see an outline of every poly the engine is actually drawing. (This function will lag you to hell, btw) - use gl_wireframe 1 to see where brushes break apart in render.
- Keep backup RMFs of every testable incarnation of your map.
- TEST YOUR MAP WITH MULTIPLE PLAYERS - just because it works single-player, does not mean it works with multiple players. Extra players causes many more issues than you would imagine. Test multi-player before final release, if at all possible.

This.. is unfortunately gibberish to me - unless he means that I can only test it in HL1..

Edit: oh yeah, is there a Mummy model, or possible to re-skin it? I'd like to turn this zone into a Daragoth-level zone.. Starts off weaker, but gradually gets a little more difficult, without going insane. Okay, well, it will get insane, but you'll have a warning!

-Giant Rats, Boars and some weak Skeletons in a cave near the entrance to entertain new folk.

-Wandering scorpions and rattle snakes in the desert (rare)

-Skeletons(Mummies!) and some other creatures (corpse eaters?) inside the pryamid itself, increasing in difficulty as you explore the maze (huge, I hope)

-Some type of humanoids inside of another cave network, which has a small camp outside (if I can make it look good - probably not)