POLL: MS:R Items and Inventory

What is your personal preference?

• Item Attributes: Static, predefined stats/mods

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Item Attributes: Random (RNG) stats/mods

• Item/Drop Variety: Low/Gated (MS:C-style)

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Item/Drop Variety: Scaled (Elder Scrolls)

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Item/Drop Variety: High (Diablo-style)

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Inventory: Slot Limit (per bag)

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • Inventory: Weight Limit (per bag)

• Total voters

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
See the prior discussion here before voting.

I'd like to know which direction the community would like to see a MS:C successor head for certain gameplay elements, starting with items and inventory: Item variety, features, and drop rates will have a direct impact on inventory size and implementation.

Item Attributes: Static Stats/Mods (Every base item has the same stats; can be enchanted with leveled effects [+1/2/3 Strength])
Item Attributes: Random Stats/Mods (Adds between 5-10 Strength, and a random effect like +10% Critical Hit Rate)
Item/Drop Variety: Low/Gated (MS:C-style, decent loot requires solving puzzles, finding secrets, or defeating bosses)
Item/Drop Variety: Scaled (Elder Scrolls-style, decent loot can be found anywhere, depending on character level)
Item/Drop Variety: High (Diablo-style, it's raining items)
Inventory: Slot Limit (Limited to X items per storage container)
Inventory: Weight Limit (Limited to X kg/lbs per storage container)

EDIT: I changed the "Drop Rates" category to "Item/Drop Variety" to make it easier to understand we're not talking about actual drop rate %, but the number of (potentially useful) items you would expect to find on any given map.

Last edited:

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
Okay, the results I'm currently seeing heavily favor an item/drop system much like MS:C currently employs, and slightly favor a slot-based inventory system. With that in mind, I've put the following crude concept drawing together:

MSR_2.png

Obviously the alignment's a bit off on the Equipment panel, but you get the idea. So, some thoughts on the tabs:

Weapons: The tab itself just shows what's currently in-hand, and maybe some DPS stats or something. However, I've got a crazy idea for weapon storage: Rather than store them in bags, the player could have some sort of "ethereal" pool you can store/pull from. The currently equipped weapon adds to weight, but the rest of them do not. This will also necessitate a separate interface for finding and selecting the weapon you'd like to switch to, if it's not Hotkeyed. Maybe the trade-off should be a slower weapon switch than having the weapon in a bag? Maybe do the same with Armor?

Armor: Some equipment could take up multiple slots, like the Studded Leather shown above (Torso and Legs). You may notice two Torso slots and two Legs slots. I was thinking one Torso slot could be a Shirt, or a Cape, or even magical Robes. Same thing with legs: Pants, or maybe Tattoos or something. Is this too much? Maybe do away with the extra Torso and Legs slots? Should we stick with just the MS:C-style Head, Armor, Cape, and a few Rings?

Jewelry: Proposed 6-10 slots. Mix and match: Could be 10 magic rings, or a Necklace, Talisman, Diadem, whatever.

Storage: Proposed 4-8 slots. This is where you can put/upgrade "bags": Spellbook, Quiver, Sheath, Backpack, whatever. I'm thinking this is also the best place to display your Currency and Mats.

So, what do you all think?

Last edited:

Myrlance

Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I like them all and I've casted some of my votes.

Another suggestion, how about a loot system similar to Ultima Online and Life is Feudal? where you stack items in a bag and sort through it.

Lark

Old Skool Apostle
MSC Developer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Lead MSR Developer
Reaction score
TBH, I haven't played either of those games. But I'm picturing a bag that auto-grabs any loot you find (or is assigned to you) that you can sort through later, rather than looting each and every corpse? Maybe use filters or console commands to filter items you are/aren't interested in?

Myrlance

Adventurer
Heroes of Dawn
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Maybe could incur an option for either or?

Manual looting, or auto-looting by predefined parameters. Like some may want to manually sift through scrolls or something like that, potions- but probably auto-pick up stuff that doesn't weigh too much but can be sold in bulk.

The looting system from Ultima Online or Life is Feudal show icons in a bag which you can sort and move around, can stack in numbers like (x~) above them; and you can move them around in your bag space. Sounds complicated but it's also a suggestion if there's no other inventory management theories taking place.