[Source] BoX

BoX

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Rejoined the team Jan 4, 2011.

Created a temporary workaround for the 3 new characters and you're stuck bug, in the form
of a batch file that simply deletes the contents of the Master Sword Source/characters folder.

Enhanced a few .vmt files in /materials, to improve the quality of modulated blends.

Created and installed a higher resolution detail prop system. Altered a few more .vmt files
and added new folder /materials/detail/.

Created a file for the /media/ folder. This file will stop the valve movie from playing at
mod launch.

New Thornlands compile to check the quality of the new material/detail prop getup.

Started working on customizing the menu system, started by changing 2 sounds in sound/UI/

Added spider webbing material from texture artist into materials/detail/

Meshed, textured, and compiled a new tree trunk model.

Decompiled the MSC rat, currently upgrading the mesh to be turned over to texture artist.

Check back for updates weekly!

BoX

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Busy week IRL. Got sick.

Working on the rat mesh.

Recovered an old lost map and continued working on it(Arozen).

Set up a second [computer/Steam account] locally, so I can get multi-player testing done faster.

BoX

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Re-Rejoined the team late July, 2014. (my how time flies)

As posted on public communication forum, started a fork of the 2013 SDK on GitHub!

Work has begun on the coding side. The code is currently based on the hl2mp fileset(or hl2dm, same diff). I considered basing it on the 'SDK' fileset from the 2007 SDK, as I did on my previous project, Team Fortress: Source, but the differences in these 2 options is fairly equivalent for a source RPG, meaning, approximately the same amount of alteration of the code will be needed for either choice.

The Source engine has been disappointingly devoid of RPG games. As far as I know, and correct me if I am wrong!, The most prominent Source RPG is "Bloodstone: The Journey Home" http://www.moddb.com/mods/bloodstone-the-journey-home. The ModDB page currenly lists it's release date in 2008, but I swear I remember it was out in 2005 or 6(anyone remeber better?) Anyway, being a huge fan of RPGs sine Final Fantasy(1) on NES(remember I am old as Methuselah) I have been replete in my desire to be a part of the first team to make a popular/viable Source RPG! /2centsonthat

Anyway, current progress is as follows. Lots of Half-Life 2: Deathmatch coding mechanics have been removed, with lots more to do. The build now sets the player model as /models/player/humanmale.mdl, instead of the combine vs rebels getup. (NOTE: The mentioned humanmale model is not completed! However, a WIP model that does not crash, is in place. This way it is finished on the code side, and when a better/final model is complete, it can simply be dropped into the folder to replace this WIP version, no further coding required :)

The system for spawning and map transitions is also partially complete.

The spawn points are also in progress. Players now spawn at custom spawnpoints with the entity name 'mss_spawnpoint'.

BoX

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Removing more HL2MP mechanics. Developed a few crash situations while removing team code, but all is good now. The bigger payoff for us will be when I get down to removing all this stuff from the net code. Getting data transfers between server and client to a bare minimum by removing everything we won't use from the code base is by far the most important part of this process, because that is how we will keep players' pings as low as possible. If we get lucky, we might be able to open up the max player limit to more than 32. I'd like to see 64. The absolute max in Source is 256 btw, but I doubt that will ever be plausible, unless everyone has uber connections. Might be plausible in LAN mode, but who's ever gonna fire up more than 64 machines in one place, lol.