Two computers, one monitor

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I managed to get my hands on a second PC, one that is a hell of a lot older at that, and I don't have another monitor for it. Is there some sort of device that allows you to switch between the two computers on one monitor? If so, could you post some links? THank you, if you do.

Travella

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Or just use windows built in Remote desktop if you dont want to pay for anything.
Good if you use the other computer for server or is in another room.

SilentDeath

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Does your monitor have more than one input? You could run one computer on the dvi input and another on the vga input if you have them.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
SilentDeath said:
Does your monitor have more than one input? You could run one computer on the dvi input and another on the vga input if you have them.

I honestly don't know what that is, where would they be located?

Red Cell

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Where the hell is the hot PC on PC action in this thread? Your title was misleading. I am disappointed in you.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I dunno, that scene where that fat computer serial ports into the databank and they both download from it, is a bit much.

Stoned said:
I honestly don't know what that is, where would they be located?
There'd be two VGA'ish ports on your graphics card, if it supported that, in which case, you likely would not be asking this question. ;)

Just get a 2-port KVM switch at your local puter shop. They're like $10-$15. If the computer you're trying to hook up is really old, you may need the older variety.

Alternatively, thrift shop +$20 = CRT VGA monitor. Or check free stuff on Craigs if you live in the city - almost always free monitors on there.

SilentDeath

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I have no idea what monitor you have but most monitors dating back a few years have at least 2 connectors the white one is DVI the other one with the blue connector plugged in is vga(most vga ports are blue) these are usually located on the back of your monitor facing down(follow the cord that is plugged in) if this computer you got is old it might have DVI but should have a vga port.
dell-u2311h-back-ports.jpg

Drathamus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Pretty much what Silent Death said.

If you can get a hold of another cable (Be it DVI or VGA), you have have both computers hooked up to 1 monitor.

I'm sure there's a menu button somewhere on the front of the monitor, near the power button. Press it, and see if there's any selection to change inputs.

That'd be your best bet, without having to buy a new monitor/whatnot.