Want to get back in to this game, but characters needs to be restored.

PyroManiac

New Adventurer
Reaction score
In 2013 to 2015 I was playing pretty frequently, and another day by the very beginning of 2015 I find out that my characters got about a year of regress, which really upset and anger me so much that I deleted this mod for good. Recently I shown this mod to a friend as to what half-life modding community used to look like and he really enjoyed what he saw.

So as for the Christmas (and now Happy New Year, which is more important of a holiday in his region) gift he wants to play this mod with me, which is something I agreed to do for him so long my old characters get restored to what it was prior it got messed up.

After all these years, I can still remember the exact day prior which my characters got messed up - that is January 2015, literally a day after happy new year holiday. :/

2th January 2015
STEAM_0:0:11436059
Slot 1 and Slot 2 respectively (IIRC...)

Drathamus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the old team leads of this mod are since long gone. FuzzNet's host was put into the hands of someone, we don't know who, and has ceased hosting the character saves. Currently there is only 1 server being hosted for MS:C and it's using an old FN archive from about that time, but won't have any backups or servicing functionality.

If you're playing with your friend, best bet is to start anew.

Since MS:C has been sunset, a new project is on the horizon called Master-Sword: Rebirth. Aimed at fixing up the game and hosting a new FuzzNet for continued support. I'd recommend seeking them out and requesting access for whenever the next beta phase may be.

PyroManiac

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Currently there is only 1 server being hosted for MS:C and it's using an old FN archive from about that time, but won't have any backups or servicing functionality.
If there is available FN archive from around around that time (I assume 2014-2015 or so), wouldn't it be possible to restore old chars using it eventually? Is the archive available for other people, or just one person entirely? I wouldn't want to rewrite old saves with the new ones... Would I still give it a shot and play there, or should I try to play LAN with client-based saving character? I wonder if I can try to play with my friend using only Radmin-VPN and still be able to save progress, or not...

CrashWolf

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Four 90 degree turns to the left, or was it right?
Sorry to bring more bad news, but the archive in question was actually from late April 2021 and only has the most recent saves for each player, so unfortunately a rollback to some time in 2014 or so would not be possible.

As for what you should do, that's entirely up to you. Since the only server up isn't on FN, there's no bonuses active on it (at least I'm pretty sure), so there'd be little difference between hosting your own game or playing on the server, other than what characters are available. If you choose to host your own game, be aware some computers can't host a listen server on every map, so you -might- need to set up a dedicated server to play on.

PyroManiac

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sorry to bring more bad news, but the archive in question was actually from late April 2021 and only has the most recent saves for each player, so unfortunately a rollback to some time in 2014 or so would not be possible.
Just because the archive 'in question' got it's saved backup from late 2021, doesn't that means the archive supposed to have the save data from all the periods since it's day of working? I just got screenshot from a friend of mine for me, so your claim seem to be false.

1512568.7350000008_image.png

CrashWolf

New Adventurer
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Four 90 degree turns to the left, or was it right?
Except if you look at the very picture you posted, it explains exactly what I was saying. The archive was from April 2021 (Rex was wrong and ended up corrected about the date it was from), and nobody around can access any other version of the archive.
The archives only contain the latest saves at the time of creation, and the only archive available that I know of is the one in question. From April 2021.

Uberzolik is technically not wrong in his answer, but in the "if the character played on FN back in 2015, the character should still exist in archive" sense.
The saves exist, but only the latest version as of late April 2021.

The only reason the archive they have exists is because someone with access to it uploaded it where it could be obtained by others.

PyroManiac

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Except if you look at the very picture you posted, it explains exactly what I was saying. The archive was from April 2021 (Rex was wrong and ended up corrected about the date it was from), and nobody around can access any other version of the archive.
The archives only contain the latest saves at the time of creation, and the only archive available that I know of is the one in question. From April 2021.

Uberzolik is technically not wrong in his answer, but in the "if the character played on FN back in 2015, the character should still exist in archive" sense.
The saves exist, but only the latest version as of late April 2021.

The only reason the archive they have exists is because someone with access to it uploaded it where it could be obtained by others.
Well, that is honestly very depressing to hear... I've been really hoping to return to the game with the character that I once abandoned, which ironically I maxed few days prior. And I only want to return because I want to introduce my friend to this game.

However, now that the game is open source, is it possible to play it with my friend on a LAN server and save all of the progress, while actually adjust it to my liking? Like boost the enemies to give to 200% more experience, or 2000% more experience as I see fit? Can I make sure all of the quest chest give 100% of available loot of the map so I don't have to grind it countless of times, or at least boost the loot chance to 60%? Can I have access and thus spawn all of the available items in the game, including all of the unique guild crescents, all of the easter egg hidden items such as rare clothing, and developer exclusive joke spells such as troll volcano, etc, etc? I would like to skip the grind part and only play each of the map at least once or twice with my friend while we actually grow to the maximum level, so we could more peacefully explore the game and mess around with fun stuff that is given.

greatguys1

Epic Adventurer
MSC Developer
Warriors of the North
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, that is honestly very depressing to hear... I've been really hoping to return to the game with the character that I once abandoned, which ironically I maxed few days prior. And I only want to return because I want to introduce my friend to this game.

However, now that the game is open source, is it possible to play it with my friend on a LAN server and save all of the progress, while actually adjust it to my liking? Like boost the enemies to give to 200% more experience, or 2000% more experience as I see fit? Can I make sure all of the quest chest give 100% of available loot of the map so I don't have to grind it countless of times, or at least boost the loot chance to 60%? Can I have access and thus spawn all of the available items in the game, including all of the unique guild crescents, all of the easter egg hidden items such as rare clothing, and developer exclusive joke spells such as troll volcano, etc, etc? I would like to skip the grind part and only play each of the map at least once or twice with my friend while we actually grow to the maximum level, so we could more peacefully explore the game and mess around with fun stuff that is given.
That is technically possible; in fact, the "quirky quornhole" mod aimed to do that: https://www.msremake.com/threads/the-quirky-fork-keeping-the-quornhole-vision-going.7283/

If you want to play MSC, I recommend that version. As stated above, not all maps will successfully open on a listen server. You have to set up a dedicated server and play from there if you want ~25% of the maps to load at all without crashing. As for your character, in what way was it messed up? I can give them to you as is, but I could also attempt to repair what was wrong. Look out for pms.

I don't check these forums often anymore. If you want to reach me reliably, it'd be best to join the MSRebirth discord and @ me there.

Last edited: