Winglave Farm- again.

Lord Aotblad

New Adventurer
Reaction score
http://img138.imageshack.us/i/screencapwinglave2.png/

I had a topic for this before, but then the forums were vandalized and the site history was reset, or something, and my topic was part of the sacrifice. I did read Thoth's post about layout. It's worth noting that what was there before wasn't so much as a layout as 'just where the buildings happened to be as I made them', but given that what I actually had planned wasn't much better, I took his advice to heart and made something which I THINK will work fairly well. I'm concerned about the windmill though. I do plan on making a second level of cliffs, but even with that, it might be too high. I could just scrap it and make it a water mill instead, but I'm sort of attached to the windmill, so I'd rather not do that unless I have no choice.
Anyway, to roughly re-itterate what I said last time, it's a safe map map with a couple low-medium level bits of actual combat. It is my first map. It is a farm, although most of the actual farmland is going to be implied rather then in the actual game area, as a big huge field of wheat probably wouldn't work too well.

Lord Aotblad

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Figured I'd post a progress report, despite the apparent lukewarm responce to this map. http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/6418/s ... glave3.png
Scrapped the windmill for now, I'll figure out something for it later. The farm complex needs a mill to make sense, as one of the buildings is a bakery, so there'll need to be a source of flour.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Looks good! I think a water mill would work pretty well. Maybe have it as an elevator-ish thing to get you to a higher level of the map? :p

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
I'd give ya' some criticism, but you need to take better screenshots. At the very least, a full-sized 3D hammer window should be shown so we can get a better view of what's going on. And even better than that is a test compile :D I'll give you some real advice if you post up better shots

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
I agree with lock that we could use some better pictures. However, from what I have seen, this looks like a pretty solid map and I would love to see it in game. It is my opinion that this game desperately needs expansion in the beginning and middle game. Also, contrary to popular opinion around here, I think that the more town style maps we have, the better. So long as they are placed logically on the world map, that is.

So yeah, please keep up the good work. I definitely want this released in game someday. Does this map have any back story?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Assuming players aren't going to be able to see the top of the roofs on the upper peninsula, you midas well NULL them, or bring down some skybrushes to block the VIS for the rest of the map if/when you expand it.

Lord Aotblad

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Couldn't for the life of me think of any 3d shots that summed up Winglave at once, so here's a blown-up top view. I'll see if I can throw together a majhost gallery for various shots throughout the map.
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/5093 ... glave5.png
Anyway, it's structurally finished, but my inexperience has once more bitten me in the ass, because it's got a bunch of issues that prevent it from compiling, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to fix them. I also might have gotten a bit over-intricate, because the file's on the large side, and it doesn't have any signifigant entities yet. Using a null texture on various bits might deal with some of that, but for reasons that baffle me I don't seem to have that available.
Anyway, yes it has a backstory, but it's not terribly interesting. The Winglave family built the farm here about 30 years previously, supplying grain to the Edena/Helena area. Only really unusual thing about this area is that it's rather clear that the Winglaves aren't the first to use it. A well and a tunnel were already there.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
A lot of mappers prefer to make their own null texture, myself included - but there should be one in mastersword.wad ready to go.

Check Alt+P - most things that prevent compiling will show up there. Beyond that, give the error and/or map source.

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
Another null texture can be found in the ZLHT.wad, a wad which should be included with Zoner's Half-Life Tools (optimal compiling choice!)

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Happy birthday to you!

Any news on this map? I hope you are still working on it because I, for one, am really looking forward to it.

jon50559

Adventurer
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
He's long gone, unfortunately :(