Not open for further replies.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:
shrieker bat shrieks while frozen
would be kinda cool if they could blow apart the ice they were encased in by shrieking...

Also, the goblin boss AND presumably the slime boss in rmines are not working, and potentially any other trigger relay being used in the map is not working. It appears that the "remove upon fire" feature is removing even if the relay DOESN'T fire. Since the boss had %chance to be triggered by a relay that was set to "remove upon fire", it was practically never spawning, since the rate was 15%. I think this may explain why I haven't seen a lot of other random spawns that I set up in the map...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Lucifer Majiskus said:

EDIT: Most enemies can still attack while frozen
Ancient/perpetual - keep gettin them, but one at a time. If their attack requires an animation (ie. melee), they shouldn't be able to attack.

There is a FEB2015d, optional server-side patch (joinable with FEB2015c), running on RKS #2 - it should fix all the scriptflag issues (bear claws etc.)

May patch up the other two when they clear out.

If I can verify there's no new EMERGENCY problems on that server, I'll put up the quick patch, and then I'll start on making new full installers.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Lucifer Majiskus said:
would be kinda cool if they could blow apart the ice they were encased in by shrieking...

Also, the goblin boss AND presumably the slime boss in rmines are not working, and potentially any other trigger relay being used in the map is not working. It appears that the "remove upon fire" feature is removing even if the relay DOESN'T fire. Since the boss had %chance to be triggered by a relay that was set to "remove upon fire", it was practically never spawning, since the rate was 15%. I think this may explain why I haven't seen a lot of other random spawns that I set up in the map...
You'd be seeing a lot more problems than that if trigger_relay stopped working.

I've seen him spawn, but his spawn rate is so low it's hard to test.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Thothie said:
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Lucifer Majiskus said:

You'd be seeing a lot more problems than that if trigger_relay stopped working.

I've seen him spawn, but his spawn rate is so low it's hard to test.
I've seen him spawn too, which is why this is so confusing, but we just used ripent to set the slime boss' rate to 100% and he does not spawn. The goblin boss also definitely wasnt spawning until we used ripent to uncheck the "remove upon fire" flag and now he works, and spawns rather reliably at his 15% rate.

However, the slime boss, for whatever reason, is definitely not spawning...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, I just tested the bgob boss at 100%, and he spawns fine, remove on fire and all.

What is the name of the slime boss and his trigger?

MS:C community

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I didn't read all the above posts (yet) but what Oyster's trying to say is (and we just confirmed this):
If a trigger_relay with "spawnflags" "1" (i.e.: Remove On fire) is activated, and if this trigger_relay has a "random" value set, and if the random value is not met, it will STILL remove itself. This is why the goblin boss in rmines will most likely not spawn.

Slime boss: Still trying to figure out wtf is wrong with that one but its ms_monsterspawn is "slime_boss", which is in turn triggered by a trigger_relay (10% chance, also remove on fire... >_> bad) named "slime_boss_relay", which is in turn triggered upon spawn and death of literally every slime in that same area.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Well, I just tested the bgob boss at 100%, and he spawns fine, remove on fire and all.

What is the name of the slime boss and his trigger?
Goblin boss seems to be working just fine, minus the trigger relay thing, I think...?

The slime boss does not have a name, but his trigger is slime_boss_relay. I think it's the only instance of slime_green_huge in the map. It's a ms_monster_random entity with 3 options - A scaled up electric slime, a huge black pudding, and a huge green slime. This is the same random spawner that contained the fools gold placeholder monster.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
MS:C community said:
I didn't read all the above posts (yet) but what Oyster's trying to say is (and we just confirmed this):
If a trigger_relay with "spawnflags" "1" (i.e.: Remove On fire) is activated, and if this trigger_relay has a "random" value set, and if the random value is not met, it will STILL remove itself. This is why the goblin boss in rmines will most likely not spawn.
Oh - this is the intended behavior. If you remove on fire, the assumption is that you only want one shot at the event happening. I had no idea he wanted there to be more than one chance of him spawning.

I suppose, if you wanted an infinite number of shots at the event happening, over time, but don't want it to happen more than once, you'd have to kill target the relay or something related.

Slime boss: Still trying to figure out wtf is wrong with that one but its ms_monsterspawn is "slime_boss", which is in turn triggered by a trigger_relay (10% chance, also remove on fire... >_> bad) named "slime_boss_relay", which is in turn triggered upon spawn and death of literally every slime in that same area.
So, same issue here? Or is he not spawning even when set to 100%?

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Even when set to 100% I can't get him to show up. And I undid the "Remove On fire" thing from the relevant relay. I double-checked everything for typos and I'm just stumped now, really...

{
"origin" "-1166 1682 -1424"
"spawnarea" "slime_boss"
"random_3_params" "set_fade_in"
"random_3_scriptfile" "monsters/slime_black_huge"
"random_2_params" "set_fade_in"
"random_2_scriptfile" "monsters/slime_green_huge"
"random_1_params" "speed_x2_5;set_scale;2.5;set_fade_in"
"random_1_scriptfile" "monsters/slime_lightning"
"defscriptfile" "monsters/giantrat"
"spawnchance" "100"
"delayhigh" "2"
"delaylow" "1"
"lives" "1"
"random_3_dmgmulti" "15"
"random_3_hpmulti" "10"
"random_1_dmgmulti" "25"
"random_1_hpmulti" "30"
"angles" "0 0 0"
"spawnstart" "1"
"classname" "msmonster_random"
}
{
"origin" "-1283 1747 -1432"
"delay" "1"
"target" "slime_boss"
"targetname" "slime_boss_relay"
"random" "100"
"spawnflags" "0"
"classname" "trigger_relay"
}

Does not work D:

Thanks for your clarification on trigger_relay though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Even when set to 100% I can't get him to show up. And I undid the "Remove On fire" thing from the relevant relay. I double-checked everything for typos and I'm just stumped now, really...
I'd start with something more sure-fire, and work your way back from there. Rig it 100%, and remove on fire, see if boss spawns.

Hoping there's no issues with my adding master to trigger_relay... Would like to make sure before finalizing a D patch, but I can't think of any it'd cause, looking at the code, and it isn't one of the areas where MiB and I were likely to cross wires.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Wait... I see your problem.

spawnstart 1 (ie. spawn only when triggered, mr. "I have no targetname")

Oyster probably copied an msmonster_spawn and renamed it msmonster_random, so it kept that. I've pulled that particular boner a few times myself.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Wait... I see your problem.

spawnstart 1 (ie. spawn only when triggered, mr. "I have no targetname")

Oyster probably copied an msmonster_spawn and renamed it msmonster_random, so it kept that. I've pulled that particular boner a few times myself.
I have a vague memory of doing this... In fact I've done this a lot, I think. I wonder if it's causing problems anywhere else?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Warned ya about it once before back in Underpath... You'd have to check your entity table - make sure none of your mobs have "spawnstart" "1".

edit:
(Checks via Entity Report) - looks like he's the only one, but ya gotta look out for that sorta thing. It's especially important to pick default entities that aren't liable to have those sorta issues when you turn them into something else.

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
AAAARGHH HOW COULD I MISS THAT!?

We spent over half a ****ing hour trying to figure out what was wrong. I can't believe I missed that. Wow I feel so dumb now.
Thanks a ton for the help!

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Edit: Cancel that, I suck. Now doing an actual good search of the map's entity table.

Edit 2: The slime boss msmonster_random is the only monster entity in the map that has "spawnstart" "1" so that's good news!

Edit 3: fmines has no such problems! There are three multi_manager that have "spawnstart" "1" but since there's no entities that actually have the name "spawnstart", this can't lead to problems.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Not actually being the cause of the problems for once is all the thanks we need.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Edit: Cancel that, I suck. Now doing an actual good search of the map's entity table.

Edit 2: The slime boss msmonster_random is the only monster entity in the map that has "spawnstart" "1" so that's good news!
entity_report.png
It's that simple...

...that is assuming all of these mobs are msmonsters. ;) But I'm fairly certain, except for the barrel and chest, they are, and I put those in myself.

PS. While yer in there - you've got some aesthetic issues at the boss exit - ya may need to hide the func_breakable to see them.

The Man In Black said:
Not actually being the cause of the problems for once is all the thanks we need.
None of this has been your fault, really. I've no idea how we got so far out of sync, and I was just far too eager to get the inventory fix in - shoulda held off on the $function optimization that came with it until I had more time to alpha test it. Really, all of the major issues we've had woulda come up in alpha testing, if I had done that.

Although one thing I will say is that your changing of the standard MSC date format screwed with my search efforts in fixing the whole mess. :p

Old Skool Apostle
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
I'm not really viewing the source in Hammer (because I don't have it); I was merely checking the map's entity table in Notepad++.
Would've used the search by keyvalue method otherwise, you can count on that :razz:

Edit: The new msmonster_giantboar is defined twice in ms1.4.fgd. Both definitions are directly after each other.

Edit 2: And about ms_counter... If an ms_counter has a master, and the master is inactive, yet something *tries* to trigger the ms_counter, it will fire... nothing (not even the reqelsetarget) and then remove itself. This totally blew up my spawn-mobs-during-a-certain-TOD-but-only-after-event-X idea but I can at least still experiment with the master property on trigger_relay now, which you so thoughtfully added (thanks for this).

But yeah tl;dr ms_counter will break if triggered while its master is inactive...

Edit 3: Another small bug report: The goblin chief chest in rmines is a placeholder (worlditems/treasurechest).

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
The Man In Black said:
None of this has been your fault, really. I've no idea how we got so far out of sync, and I was just far too eager to get the inventory fix in - shoulda held off on the $function optimization that came with it until I had more time to alpha test it. Really, all of the major issues we've had woulda come up in alpha testing, if I had done that.

Although one thing I will say is that your changing of the standard MSC date format screwed with my search efforts in fixing the whole mess. :p

I said 'we', and I meant more because it's usually something one of us did what f*cked everything up. But the date thing... We have so many different formats, and I never remember which one we're actually on. I usually just look at whatever comment is closest that has something close to the current one and assume it's right. So yeah, my bad.

Code:
([Mm][Ii][Bb] ((\d\d\w\w\w_\d\d\d\d)|(\d\d\d\d\w\w\w_\d\d)|(\w\w\w\d\d\d\d_\d\d)|(\w\w\w\d\d_\d\d\d\d)|(\w\w\w\d\d\d\d\w))
You're welcome!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, but MSC has been using the same version time stamp system for almost ten years now. :p Makes the comment time stamps easier to search when I'm trying to figure out at which point we got outta sync.

Consistency in insanity, at least. ;)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
But yeah tl;dr ms_counter will break if triggered while its master is inactive...
Wow... ms_counter is just an alias for trigger_counter, so that one there's on Valve's head. Better report to the GitHub. Dunno how easy it'll be to fix here though.

Will the new master on trigger_relay save your map?

Edit 3: Another small bug report: The goblin chief chest in rmines is a placeholder (worlditems/treasurechest).
How in the hell did I miss that chest? Damnitall... Not major, given his chances of spawning, but meh - will fix, though probably not in the D patch.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
There were the patch-dated comments (e.g., "Feb2008a"), then there are some discrepancies over whether it's Day_MonYear, MonYear_Day, or MonDay_Year. Looking, MonYear_Day is most prevalent, so I'll try to remember for when I next do updates.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I need to sync up with you *again* I apparently didn't get scriptflags in my port efforts (just #ifdef'd it, and left it at that)...

The report about XP not scaling per player makes me think that the game.players changes didn't get synced - looking into that now.

edit: No, that looks right - might be the AFK detector being overzealous. Will have to catch it in game. I know the mobs are scaling up, that's for sure.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I haven't downloaded the last one, still. No hurry. Unless there's something for me to research, I'm in no hurry to download just for the synch.

Status
Not open for further replies.