Reaction score
this mod seems to be losing players
how are we gonna repopulate it ??

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
freshmeat, if you hadn't noticed...the reason we've lost so many players is because....

1) "character wipe" - not gonna happen (or at least, thothie is trying all methods to stop it from happening)
2) FuzNet is currently down
3) lack of publicity

my solution?

A) put all the myths about the character wipe aside, notify people that tis not going to be happening
B) Get FuzNet back up, or find a new host for it
C) I've already made a moddb profile, and as soon as the next patch is released i'm making a news announcement about it on moddb
D) perhaps thothie can give me some guidelines for some help wanted requests?

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I think by now we've smashed the character wipe rumor. At least I know Thothie smashed it every time it came up in a post :D

the moddb thing should help a lot. I think when ms:c was released, it even made half life planet news, which gave it a huge population boost.

We need a good coder the most, and modlers/animators second.

Thothie is, if anything, the script master, and we have like 4 or 5 mappers working on official stuff atm.

cant think of anything else off the top of my head.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
hey if I can help in any way possible with Moddb like writing news or something, it would be no trouble for me. I also have a filefront account if that helps. i just want this mod to be out there cuz IMO it is the best mod out there.

p.s. what do u mean the character wipe is a rumor? does this mean i have to put in all the work i lost again?

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ignore anything you ever heard about the character wipe.

the current character is the one you will keep.

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
i stopped cause it got boring...but now a big load of maps are comming

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
2) FuzNet is currently down

Eh, I thought it was backup... I've not restarted my server, as I've been taking advantage of this downtime to get some much needed uploads done.

Fuzzy is prob the most reliable host we could hope for, plus also probably the only one willing to dedicate an entire box for it, and setup and allow access to an efficient VNC. Although he may get sick of dealing with it some day... too sick, I should say - I'm sure he's already sick. ;)

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
This is a great mod, only problem is most people just don't want to deal with tons of patches once this steamlines everything the community should get much bigger.

I would also like to say if push comes to shove and the MS:C community is in desperate need of a central server I can always turn me ole server into the blast net server again, and turn it into what fuzzy has. This is of course something horrible happens to fuzzy which we all hope never will!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
don't want to deal with tons of patches once this steamlines everything the community should get much bigger.

I *thought*, so long as you aren't running a server, we got it down to one, single, patch... What's missing from my beta-pack that I dunno about?

If it's just a matter of how often patches come up, we should see the last one for awhile in about two weeks. Hard Code = no more script patches, save maybe a few map-specific ones as needed.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
I *thought*, so long as you aren't running a server, we got it down to one, single, patch... What's missing from my beta-pack that I dunno about?
msc_updates2.jpg

Now don't get me wrong, I realize some of these files aren't useful anymore (the first four, specifically), but these are all the updates I could find, almost exactly in the order they got released. As you can see, I also think custom maps are updates.

And I seriously do hope you are going to put the contents from all these files in MS: C v1.1 :mrgreen:

FreshMeat said:
this mod seems to be losing players
how are we gonna repopulate it ??
I do remember you (FreshMeat / Lord / Lord Undamael) acting like a dick to Tokugawa on my server. That's not a working method to get more players, right? :oldlol:

Gurluas

New Adventurer
Reaction score
he was named lord undamael?
it was my nick once.

Iselore

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie would just need to zip up his msc folder into a install package and voila!

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
I know, but I did the same. I extracted all the updates you see in that pic to a temporary folder (and I extracted them in the order you see them) and then I rarred that folder into a file called "msc_all_updates_up_to_ms_snow.rar". The file is 107 MB big, but do keep in mind that all official maps are in it (updated versions with monsters like Ghor Ash and such).

And Thothie can make a nice installer (or I can make a nice installer) that can make the file even smaller :idea:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm sayin... MSC 1.0 download + Thothie's Betapak = all you need to play

People runnin servers have more stuff to deal with, and people developing stuff have a LOT more stuff to deal with, and there's custom maps, but that'll always be the case... But to just play MSC 1.0 download + Thothie's Betapak, and yer done.

...correct me if I am wrong, and I'll add more stuff to the betapack.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
You are technically right, but do keep in mind the gatecity.bsp file in the MS: C v1.0 distribution is the "weird" version that doesn't allow clients to join.

So actually you need MS: C v1.0 + beta package + goblintown.bsp (the updated, fixed version that doesn't crash) to fully play the game. :p

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
yeah...the new goblintown.bsp should probably be included...

and in the final msc 1.1 patch...i hope thothie will include all the custom/semi-custom maps that are going to link to the main world ;)

and since world walker is such a high-quality map series, i've even thought of a way to link it to the map :D

/me is all for a rediculously huge world-map (link all medium-high custom maps to the main world, the more the merrier!)

Franz

New Adventurer
Reaction score
You guys need to do some kind of promotion. Like a meet the DEV team night and learn how to play. Like for 1-3 hours straight, the DEV team helps out noobs and such. This is the cheapest excuse I can think of to get you guys onto PHL.

FreshMeat

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
well , guys, with fn going down and having my character set back more than 2 days worth of playing, im deciding to quit

nice to have met you all
wasnt nice for thothie to touch me...but
hope the mod gets nice and fat like J-M's fingers!!
bye

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
So actually you need MS: C v1.0 + beta package + goblintown.bsp (the updated, fixed version that doesn't crash) to fully play the game.
I'll add globlin town to the next release. I'm *still* not sure which is newer - I can't find two versions of it with different dates or sizes - and yet I know there be two. :/

having my character set back more than 2 days worth of playing,
LOL -with such tenacity and perseverance you will go far in life. :roll:
Granted, I think 2 days would be like, 3% of a skill at my level. :p - and I pale in comparison to most of the gods around here. (level 27 - I think)

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie, the Goblin Town download from your website works perfectly, so that's the one I should use. I think the version that comes with the MS: C v1.0 install is messed up.

I have no idea why, by the way. I do remember this: if you have a messed up version of Goblin Town, delete it, and try to download from the server, you will *still* get the "Map differs from server" nonsense. Very, very annoying.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I notice the ent table in goblin town has odd formatting, may have something to do with it... Either manual ripent job or unusual mapping proggie. I think it's DrKill's work, I'd have to ask him.

FreshMeat

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
48 hours of constant play is 3% of one of your skills? i was just mad because i finally got my sc to 15 and got volcano and fn goes down and ilose it all, but ill still check in every now and then to see if this mod grows.