New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Aha! Found it.

New Mapper Toys
some new fog weather effects -spawn an ms_npc with scriptname:
weather/make_fog_green - green swampy fog
weather/make_fog_brown - v. think brownish fog
I can make any color/density you may require, these were just setup for Gaz as examples. I'll try to get a full set when I have more time

Tried the above and it doesn't work T_T

TheOysterHippopotami said:
I just want perpetual green fog.
Please don't put perpetual green fog in your map. Maybe you can pull it off, I dunno, but it does not work well in Edana Sewers, imo. It's just a giant cloud of ugly and it's quite annoying. At least to me, it is.

I've got a pretty good eye for aesthetics, I'll try to make sure it's not annoying. I'll prob need a custom one done, one that is white with a tint of green and more translucent then the others. Maybe. I'll need to play around with what we already have first to get a feel for it.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Ok wow, that green is really really green.

Testing out the weather effects...

Rain just makes everything kind of blue but there's no rain drop or rain sound. Though I didn't really wait around for it, maybe it takes a bit to start up. Snow did a windy sound and made everything really white but no snow flakes (if there are supposed to be any)

I think I need something like the rain's fog effect, but light light green instead of light blue.

Just tried fog_brown and I think I like it but... I wish it didn't block out the skybox. If only you could tell it to only make fog for a certain distance.

Ah well. Maybe I'll post a screenshot of each and see what people think. The fog is great for indoor maps but outside it's a little strange to have the entire sky turn green.

Yea the fog_brown is way too thick, I can't see to the top of my trees. Maybe we can get a less heavy version? ^_^

Also... I can't get the fog to start up when the map starts. Tried a tigger_auto. What's fired when any maps starts? "global" or something? I can't remember.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Alright I'm scratching the fog idea. It seems brush entities are not affected by fog (they look as if there is no fog between you and the entity) and I have a lot of them. I can manage some decent fog through the use of large-scaled sprites, so I'll most likely go that route, granted the sprite usage does not get over crazy.

I need to edit some existing textures, specifically some textures that start with "{". I need to add a shadow to my vines, so I want the make them dark at the top, getting light as you go down them.

I've played around with wally but I can't seem to get it to select the non-pure-blue part of the canvas so I'm not darkening the true blue part. Any ideas? I'm afriad to use other picture editing software because last time I did it I screwed up the pallete.

Thanks in advance.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If ye send me the altered textures, I can re-palette them appropriately. All you really gotta ensure is that the last color is your transparent color though.

As for the fog, yeah - can't do anything about that SFAIK. To work with Half-Life fog, you kinda gotta tweak it so no func_walls/illusionaries show up until your right upon them.

There's also no way to restore the sky texture vs. fog. Any level of fog obscures the sky.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
FCKING HYPED! Hurry up Crow, I want to die 9384798443593845 times in this map!

cartman-2000

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Crow said:
Alright, they're in a rar under my folder in your ftp.

I tried editing thier palette in hammer so the last color is blue but in game the blue is not transparent.
Do you have a { in front of the texture name? That's needed for it to be transparent.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Patients... You'll die soon enough. ;)

Well, let's see here... They aren't 256 color, and they ain't named right, and they ain't even BMP's - so... Jeeze, at least try next time. ;)

Here ya go:
http://www.thothie.com/public/MSCrow/textures_fixed.rar

BTW, the { in front, doesn't actually do anything - it's more a convention for mapper reference. Palette is the key - but needs to be a 256 color texture before you have an index-color palette to work with at all.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Thanks!

The E in front was just to denote that they we're the edited versions and not the origionals so that I made sure to rar the right ones. I wasn't aware that had to be in any particular format. I just Copy -> Pasted them into the wad file and assumed that wally would do any conversions neccessary. Same goes for the 256 color bit. I told you I mess everything up!

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I've never really been happy with how my forests have looked. So lately I have been experimenting with different methods of making a forest actually feel like a forest.

Behold. This I can live with.

I have bushes creeping onto the forest path.
I have mist slowly drifting through the backround.
I have f*cking moonbeams.

I'm just not sure how I'm going to do variations in height yet.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
The forest method I used in islesofdread2 is based on that from dod_forest (beautiful map). Perhaps you should take a look at that.

Then again, these screenshots look really good, too. I also see some things that remind me of the dod_forest forest creation methods.

And forests are great locations for free-roaming maps, right?
Right?

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
A big part of dod_forest is the fog and the models.

I would have to load my map up to the brim with tree and grass models to make it look like that, and im not sure we can make the msc fog do what the dod fog does (not make the sky completely white)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Crow said:
A big part of dod_forest is the fog and the models.
There's no fog in dod_forest - at least not in my goldsrc version. :\

Although, while I don't recall fog there, it's been a looong while, and I'm sure there was fog on dod_kalt, and now their ain't. There's options for fog, all checked... cl_fog cvars look in range too. Hrmm... Maybe I have to downgrade my video drivers before I can play goldsrc DOD proper. :\

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Crow said:
I dunno, just went to fpsbanana and looked at the screens for dod_forest.
Just checked, that's the DoD:S version, which is really ugly, I might add.
In fact, so ugly that you couldn't even tell it was supposed to be a Source map.

The original dod_forest looks much better.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
No fog in the original I don't think though... MSC uses the engine's fog function. Goldsrc DOD's might be tweaked, but IIRC, when it did work, it still obscured the sky. I think some func_ objects would show up through fog (just as they annoyingly do in MSC), but not all of them. I dunno if there's some lighting trick you can use to avoid that. *Maybe* some cleverly placed hint brushes would fix it. (Cause the object not to render until you were very close.)

At least dod_kalt's snow effect still works, if not the fog, although it isn't much better than our own (a bit subtler though).

J-M v2.5.5 said:
The original dod_forest looks much better.

dod_forest_gldsrc.jpg
I dunno about "better", but it surely looks like there was more effort put into it. Source version looks like they just scattered some tree models in a field and called it a day.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You may indeed go both willy and nilly.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
You could ask for a custom model tough, animations too maybe (not a whole lot :/ )

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Animations r hard to make. :\ What did you have in mind?

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Casting animations for the skeletons. Though come to think of it, I can't remember how they do it currently.

Something like in dbz(dont hate) where they sort of crouch down a little with thier hands together to one side, charge up the spell, then take a step forwards and fling thier hands out.

Really it was just on a whim since he mentioned animations, and I thought making a while new model plus new animations would be too much of a pain, so maybe animations for an existing model wouldnt bee too hard.

Also, for you skinners out there, I need some green skeletons/ghouls/undead. Like they live in the jungle. And some moldy stone skeletons.

<3

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Yes, animation for existing models would be fine.
I dont have troubles making an all new model, but it would take much longer.

I could also make make a submodel for existing animations (eg. use the titan boneset to make a bulky skeleton)