The Oculus [WIP]

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Crow said:
Casting animations for the skeletons. Though come to think of it, I can't remember how they do it currently.

Skeleton tantrum.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The "scientist anim" skeletons (eg. monsters/skeleton_boss1.mdl ) have spell casting anims already. :\

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
The "scientist anim" skeletons (eg. monsters/skeleton_boss1.mdl ) have spell casting anims already. :\

Oh cool. That works.

Anyone know what might cause vis to take a really really long time to compile? Like more then 12 hours?

Edit: Nvm. I had some really complicated architechture that needed to be clipped. And a couple invalid brushes (func_illusions)

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
horyshet.jpg

New pictar.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
I was never much for logos but the screenshot looks great Crow! I can't really nitpick at anything either!

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Crow's face when he sees that I am here, in his thread, complimenting his work:

1290708484_dramatic-eagle.gif

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
I have a sprite I've edited with the sprite fixer to lock it's axis, and I can move it around in the editor, but in-game it doesn't face the way I changed it in the editor, it just faces the same way no matter what I do. I couldv'e sworn I've gotten this to work in the past...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You're likely better off using a func_wall or func_illusionary for such an effect. There are several sprite options though - these include locking just the X axis, the Y axis, or locking the whole bloody thing. For a complete lock (aka. "oriented" in Sprite Explorer), I believe the eighth offset is set to 03. Compare to sprite: msc/sprites/mstutor/mst3_trans.spr (but again, much better off making it a map brush, both for ease of use, ease of preview, and for resource reasons.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
You can use Sprite Explorer for that. Dunno what sprite viewer you are using, but it seems odd that it doesn't have the function. I suppose one could also screen cap the texture and paste the cap into your favorite image converter/exporter (eg. irfanview) and save yourself a tiny download, but...

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Awesome, that works great.

Is there a way to change the frame rate of an animated texture?

Also - I have a texture with 30ish frames, and it's acting weird, like it only plays 3 of the frames or something.

They are ordered (named) +0fog through +29fog

EDIT : I guess you can only have 0-9 or a-j (only 10 frames). Sad day.

crow i have to say your maps look really nice =)

ty ^_^

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
What you are about to see it both amazing and amazing

BEHOLD: { textures now cast shadows based on the shape of the texture rather then the shape of the brush they are applied to. No, this is not a trick. There are 3 func_illusionary 1 light entity and one env_sprite. Nothing else.

*cackles madly*

I discovered a new set of compile tools that has superceded SHLT, created by Vluzacn. Or maybe you already know about them.

You can grab them here: Link
(Comes with, among other things, a fdg file that has some entities you can use to do cool things)

List of some of the exciting new features (most of the stuff I don't understand, so here are the ones I do :p):

-Added support for multiple light_environments.

-You can alter the brightness of the sample under a mdl(such as 'cycler' entity) to fix incorrect brightness of mdl. Add key 'zhlt_copylight' to mdl entity, then lighting information will be copied from the sample under the target entity of 'zhlt_copylight' to the sample under the mdl.

-Allow faces to be outside +/-4096 to build a larger map. Note, origin of visible objects (such as player, brush entity) should never be outside +/-4096.

-Added entity 'light_shadow' to dynamically control the opacity of brush entity.
Example: Build an opaque entity (note: 'custom shadow' key is not allowed) and give it a name. Then place a 'light_shadow' entity with a name, and set the opaque entity as its target. Now, light blocked by the opaque entity will be added into the light_shadow's light style. You can switch the 'light_shadow' off/on just like normal lights to make shadow appear/disappear.('light_shadow' entity will be changed into 'light' in BSP file)
This feature affects bounce light unless option '-incremental' is set, and doesn't affect dynamic light with different style.

-Raised MAX_MAP_MODELS, MAX_ENGINE_ENTITIES and MAX_MAP_ENTITIES.

-Improved the quality of diffuse light from light_environment. There will be no more strange pattern casted from windows into rooms.

-New samples position calculation and bounced light smoothing code. Seam between adjacent faces in the same plane are now almost invisible.

-Increased MAX_MAP_LEAFS from 8192 to 32760.

-Increased MAX_LEAF_FACES from 1024 to 16384, so the compiler will not hit this internal limit.

-Now optimizes light entities to reduce number of edicts used by named lights in game. Duplicated light names will be removed.

-Optimized patch (sample of bounced lighting) placing. Number of patches now decreases about 20%. Surprisingly, lighting quality gets better.

-Added a way of setting the bound of entities manually, so you can customize the size of a func_pushable. Use 'BoundingBox' texture in the same way of creating an origin.

-Now automatically detects and fills all areas where no entities exist. That is to remove faces in spaces that hide between solid brushes due to carelessness.

-Now light bouncing and texture light are influenced by texture color.Seen here

-Now shadows from textures beginning with { are casted according to the opaque area of texture.

-New translucent effect for materials such as fabric, coarse glass, plastic. They are now able to receive light that comes from the back side of the face.
Usage: Create an info_translucent entity, disable the Smart Edit mode, add keyvalues. Keys are names of textures, values are their translucent amount.
Values are from 0.0 to 1.0: 0.0 = normal; 0.3 = 30% light from back and 70% light from front; 1.0 = 100% light from back and 0% light from front. Also support 3 values mode to set r g b amount individually.
There is also a limitation in the shape of solids that use translucent textures: They must not be thicker than 2 units. (The max thickness '2' can be changed by hlrad parameter '-depth #').

-Provide a convenient way of creating texture lights.
Usage: Place a light_surface entity near the face which you want to emit light.
'Texture name' shall be the name of texture of the face.
'Filter max distance' can exclude faces whose centers are far from this light_surface.
'Texture brightness' is the brightness value that the face obtains. 80 is enough to ensure brightness of the texture itself.
'Inner angle' and 'Outer angle' are 90 and 'Adjust emit scale' is 1.0 for normal texture lights by default. Smaller angle and larget scale can be used to simulate spotlight.
'Fast' is useful when the face is large and brightness is low. The result of fast lighting is very similar to bounce lighting.
The light_surface can be triggered and have appearance like other light entities. Actually its classname will be changed to 'light' or 'light_spot' according to your choice.
Note: If you want to set any of these value to 0, fill in 0.0 instead. Otherwise Hammer will ignore the keyvalue.

And numerous improvements to make the compile process run faster. And other things I don't understand.
If you want to read about those things, feel free to browse through and keep tabs on the development thread: Link

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well shiiiiiiit... I don't have time left to compile the_wall1&2 and deraliasewers again today. >< Must... Resist... Shiny new....

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Crow said:
-Allow faces to be outside +/-4096 to build a larger map. Note, origin of visible objects (such as player, brush entity) should never be outside +/-4096.
Do I read this correctly as: You can't put entities outside the standard map boundaries? Not that this is a worthless addition or anything (worldbrushes outside map boundaries can make for some nice 3D skyboxes) but I just want to be sure that I can't place entities there.

Yes, too busy to test right now >.>

Nice find, Crow!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Thothie fails Save vs. Shiny New Thing roll.

Meh, seems I gotta compile again anyways...

Hrmm...

The lighting looks a bit more realistic, if dimmer, although it isn't automatically causing light to fall through {solid textures proper (maybe I gotta set something?). Sometimes orange light seem to reflect a bit green - even off dark gray textures. :/

More importantly, it's failing to light the water in the sewers via its lit texture at all. I suppose I shall have to ask about that on the forums or something. That's kinda fatal for now though, as most of the map's lighting depends on the glowing water.

On the other hand:
Code:
 Object names  Objects/Maxobjs  Memory / Maxmem  Fullness
------------  ---------------  ---------------  --------
models            173/400        11072/25600    (43.3%)
planes           8010/32768     160200/655360   (24.4%)
vertexes        23076/65535     276912/786420   (35.2%)
nodes            8027/32767     192648/786408   (24.5%)
texinfos         1911/32767      76440/1310680  ( 5.8%)
faces           17146/65535     342920/1310700  (26.2%)
clipnodes       19001/32767     152008/262136   (58.0%)
leaves           4362/8192      122136/229376   (53.2%)
marksurfaces    22094/65535      44188/131070   (33.7%)
surfedges       80724/512000    322896/2048000  (15.8%)
edges           40799/256000    163196/1024000  (15.9%)
texdata          [variable]    2465072/33554432  ( 7.3%)
lightdata        [variable]    2279271/33554432  ( 6.8%)
visdata          [variable]      97150/2097152  ( 4.6%)
entdata          [variable]      90680/524288   (17.3%)
68 textures referenced
^ That, on one of the biggest damned maps I've ever seen. :O

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
That's Deralia Sewers. The_wall got chopped in two, so neither half is very large anymore.

Deraliasewers, on the other hand...
desewers.gif
...is frakking huge.

The report was generated with the ZHLT -chart flag.

Granted, for a real test, I'd have to see what it does with Shad_Palace... But again, failing to light the water proper is fatal for now. :\

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Thanks Thothie!

By the way, I read somewhere once that building within 128 units of the map boundary can lead to issues.
That being said, the left-hand side of the map (as seen in the top view) looks rather close O_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
J-M v2.5.5 said:
Thothie said:
Thanks Thothie!

By the way, I read somewhere once that building within 128 units of the map boundary can lead to issues.
That being said, the left-hand side of the map (as seen in the top view) looks rather close O_>
It could under ZHLT 2.6 and before if there was a skybrush and a light_environment involved, beacuse ZHLT would try to place lights outside the map boundaries in an effort to light the area. This is not the case here (plus, obviously, not using dated versions of ZHLT). A lot of our maps push it right to the edge without issue (Bloodrose, Shad_Palace, etc.).

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Me make post, hopefully get some answers. I'm hoping to have this patch released tomorrow though, so I don't think I can wait on it long.

There's no glowing water on the_wall1&2, so far as I can remember, so maybe I can use "VHLT" there, but dunno... Other issues may crop up. I notice it's better at reporting irregular brushes though - might help with that occasional bit of strangeness that you can't normally track down.

(edit: Oh great, their forums have gone down...)

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Thothie said:
although it isn't automatically causing light to fall through {solid textures proper (maybe I gotta set something?)

Does it come at least close, or are you getting nothing at all? I noticed some strangeness with this as well, need to do some testing with it.

EDIT: Saw the pic in your post. I don't really understand the response you got either. Though honestly, with a door I wouldn't be too upset about it, as I suspect it would look pretty weird when you open and close the door, the shadow does not move with it. /shrug
I would say make the lightflags non-opaque so it just looks like light shines through. It wont ahve the shadow outline, and at least a grate-slash-door is no completely blocking all light.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, it's making no difference, so I don't think mysterious shadow will be an issue - though one of them isn't actually a door (doesn't open) so it wouldn't be an issue there. Maybe I'll try setting it Opaqe+Concave and see what happens.

The lack of water lighting was a bigger issue, but I have discovered you just have to use insanely high brightness levels. 75 in SHLT = 7500 in VHLT. (Where 7500 in SHLT, would just blind you.)

Still, I'm not quite sure which lighting I prefer. The VHLT lighting is a tad more realistic and darker. The SHLT is more vibrant though, less "dirty" looking, more functional. I'll put up the two maps after this compile finishes, maybe.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Heres a test I did with a door. As I suspected. Shadow doesn't move with the door XD. Can confirm that func_wall also works (for me anyways).

EDIT: Also looked at the map with only light_environment for lighting, and it still does as advertised.