ACCESS DENIED[error]

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
When ever I try to compile a map I get the "windows denied access" error. I did a full reinstall of hammer, reconfigured it, everything. I still get the same damn error. Heres my compile log if you want to view it.

** Executing...
** Command: Change Directory
** Parameters: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\gatlinggun33\half-life

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Users\finesir\Desktop\allinone\THE map\ecave.map" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\gatlinggun33\half-life\msc\maps\ecave.map"

** Executing...
** Command: C:\PROGRA~1\VALVEH~1\tools\zhlt\hlcsg.exe
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\gatlinggun33\half-life\msc\maps\ecave"

* Could not execute the command:
C:\PROGRA~1\VALVEH~1\tools\zhlt\hlcsg.exe "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\gatlinggun33\half-life\msc\maps\ecave"
* Windows gave the error message:
"Access is denied."

** Executing...
** Command: C:\PROGRA~1\VALVEH~1\tools\zhlt\hlbsp.exe
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\gatlinggun33\half-life\msc\maps\ecave"

C:\PROGRA~1\VALVEH~1\tools\zhlt\hlbsp.exe "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\gatlinggun33\half-life\msc\maps\ecave"
"Access is denied."

** Executing...
** Command: C:\PROGRA~1\VALVEH~1\tools\zhlt\hlvis.exe

C:\PROGRA~1\VALVEH~1\tools\zhlt\hlvis.exe "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\gatlinggun33\half-life\msc\maps\ecave"
"Access is denied."

I'm not sure what to do at this point.

Tigerkev

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are using Win Vista/7, try running it in administrative mode ;)

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Tigerkev said:
I'm assuming you are using Win Vista/7, try running it in administrative mode ;)

I still get the access denied error and yes, I do run on Windows 7.

Tigerkev

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
** Parameters: "C:\Users\finesir\Desktop\allinone\THE map\ecave.map"

Don't use spaces in your folders, but anyways i'm not used to compile trough hammer and use the Zoner's tools http://zhlt.info/

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
^ Compile in shallow folders without spaces. (Like "c:\hldev\maps" etc.) Make sure all your wad paths and external files are similarly in shallow and without spaces.

Vista/7 will also sometimes hijack files just because they are highlighted in exporer or open in another program, even if it isn't reservering the file handle (eg. notepad). Copying file under new name may help in these cases. Main thing though is the folder depth and spaces.

Sometimes Access Denied will also crop up in older versions of ZHLT if your -texdata size is too small.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
^ Compile in shallow folders without spaces. (Like "c:\hldev\maps" etc.) Make sure all your wad paths and external files are similarly in shallow and without spaces.

Vista/7 will also sometimes hijack files just because they are highlighted in exporer or open in another program, even if it isn't reservering the file handle (eg. notepad). Copying file under new name may help in these cases. Main thing though is the folder depth and spaces.

Sometimes Access Denied will also crop up in older versions of ZHLT if your -texdata size is too small.

Shortened my compile path and got rid of the space, still didn't work.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
-texdata 8000 ?

All maps, or just this one?

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
-texdata 8000 ?

All maps, or just this one?

So far its been two maps which most likely means its gonna happen for all maps. And do I just add that line to the additional game parameters?

EDIT: adding the -texdata 8000 bit didn't work.

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
I had the same problem, now I have my hammer folder in C:/ValveHammerEditor

I also use a batch compiler to compile.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Link map. :/

Mind you, with the -texdata param, you gotta add it to all the ZHLT tool commands.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Compiles fine for me. :\

Gotta leak though:
Code:
SolidBSP [hull 0] 500...1000...1500...2000...2112 (0.13 seconds)
Warning: === LEAK in hull 0 ===
Entity ms_player_begin @ (-867,-832,-240)

Can ye post your batch file? (NVM, Hammer compile... *sigh*)

Short paths without spaces means the paths to the tools as well. To minimize entanglements, both the tools and map should be in the same folder.

edit: It also looks like Hammer isn't sending the .map extension in the parameters.

edit2:
So far its been two maps which most likely means its gonna happen for all maps. And do I just add that line to the additional game parameters?
Bloody Hammer compile... You have to add it to each ZHLT tool entry line. Eg. $csg_exe, $bsp_exe, $vis_exe, $light_exe... But looking at your map, I don't think -texdata is the problem. It's either the folder arrangement, or some strange Win7 issue.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
you know, Nem's batch compiler failed me too....

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
If it be a Win7/Vista thang, ye might try SHLT:
http://twhl.co.za/forums.php?thread=16333&page=last

Make sure you have permissions for the folder where your tools and map be too.

Posting the batch file that Nem's Compiler generated may also be helpful in tracing the problem. (Compile->Save Batch As...)

Also, looking at the map, this isn't your problem, but those 20 func_waters you have should probably be merged into one (or just send them to world, if you don't need waves... ZHLT/SHLT will make anything painted with a !WATER texture swimmy style non-clip.)

J

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I used to get this too, on XP though. I can't exactly remember the details but I think I was trying to automate the copying of the map files to the game directory. I wasn't able to get it to work so I just let Hammer compile the maps where they were and manually copied the files every time to the game directory after compiling. Slightly annoying but at least it worked. So, try removing the copy file command from the compilation process and see if it works.