Custom Map

Cycho

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I haven't mapped in years and I decided that id make a map to pass the time, since I'm bored right now. The map isn't even close to being complete and in my noobness it took me forever to get the compiling tools to even work but I finally got the small map compiled. I went in game to try and play it and when I create a server playing the map it crashes with an error message saying, "Couldn't open Cychot.wad."

Any suggestions?

JabbahRulz

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
were you trying to open it with MSC? Because i heard the fgd wasn't realeased/wont be?

Btw, is this to do with ms? or a totally different mod?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The FGD is in the "dev" directory of your MSC folder with some basic instructions.

As for the wad error, the wad used in the map needs to be in the msc folder.

Alternatively, you can use ZHLT's -nowadtextures or -wadinclude (I've had no luck with the latter). This will be required if your wad file is particularly large, but it also makes the map easier to port/download/install so it's generally good practice even with smaller wads.

For more info on compiling with ZHLT, see yonder thread.

For more hints on mapping for MS - although somewhat dated, you can see the extensive MS 1.35 Mapping Tutorial and Reference - the majority of the info there still applies (just about all of it, really...) and there are links to useful tools galore there.

Looking at existing maps with Ripent should teach you all the MSC entity info you need.

Cycho

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have no custom .wads and especially none named cychot. Also to test this theory I made a plain box with a light and a spawn with no textures and I still got the same error, so it has to be something else but I'm not sure what.

JabbahRulz

New Adventurer
Christian Warrior's of God
Reaction score
shouldn't this be removed/modified from the FAQ then?

Question
I've also wanted to make my own custom maps for MasterSword. Will you be releasing the MS:C.fgd?

Answer
No. It's only available to developers. Problems occured when releasing the first .fgd, people cheated and gave themselves money, armor, weapons etc... making their character unfair in online play. That is why in MasterSword : Continued players will be forced to start new characters.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Probably written before they worked out Central Server characters.

I'm pretty sure I have no custom .wads and especially none named cychot. Also to test this theory I made a plain box with a light and a spawn with no textures and I still got the same error, so it has to be something else but I'm not sure what

It doesn't matter if you use the custom texture or not, if the wad is in hammer's list, it adds it as a dependency when it makes the map.

Cycho

New Adventurer
Reaction score
No see the problem is this wad does not exist on my computer there is no possible way that I can place it in the MSC file when it isnt in existance, I even did a complete computer search for that .wad and I didnt find it. The only texture I am using on that test map is in the msc folder. So I'm wondering if one of the .wads in the msc folder is corrupt but then I would have trouble on other msc maps if it was in use.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
It's reporting a wad with your name in it - so unlikely. ;)

On Hammer, go Tools -> Options -> [Textures Tab] - and remove all the textures there. Add two or three of the larger wads from MSC, close hammer, re-open, then try to work with your map.

I only give advice for Hammer up to 3.5, mind you. I've read it is possible to tweak the newer Hammer to work with HL1 mods - but I've not bothered to try.

Jester

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I had the same error. It is because of having too many wads and it tries to read the wad name from your steam directory but only gets to the /yoursteamaccount/ part when reading. Just use 2 or 3 wads and it will work. Someone needs to find out how many wads you can exactly use and which ones so we have the largest possible amount of textures to use.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well... First off, Hammer is screwy... Very screwy... Secondly, the upper limit on textures - technically, I guess - there is none (or it's ridiculously high) - but practically speaking, however, increasing the texture memory beyond default wreaks havoc with the map size and, eventually, the graphics card. Really, in most cases, in addition to the god-awful performance, it just looks bad. (It also tends to make your textures impossible to manage)

Really, you should have every texture you could possibly need in the MSC wads (there are a damned hell of a lot of em) - further, you shouldn't even need all those wads. Try to keep it down (IMO) to 4 large wad files total (say, the three largest MSC wads and the Half-Life.wad). Maybe a 5th for a few "custom credit" textures - but if you use something like that, use the -nowadtexture / -wadinclude switch, so people don't have to port your silly little wad around, along with the map, just to see your silly hidden credit texture. ;)