Customizable character models?

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
This is probably far fetched/impossible/not worth the effort. However, I think it's a cool idea, so here it goes:

Is it possible for our modeling team to create 5-10 different noses, mouths, eyes, ears, hairstyles and colors, etc. which could be cycled through during the character creation process? Players could mix and match features to create their own unique player model. Perhaps even a small slider could be implemented which would allow for variations in skin color?

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Could be somewhat possible.

How this would work when mixed with the MDL size limit and other things, I dont know

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Aye, if character classes arrive in a future patch then i want to be just like forsuth, then kill him and still his plot.

<3 forsuth

(...)

jon50559

Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
RiP
Alpha Tester
MSR Developer
Reaction score
The coders already went through a painful process to get all the sub-models showing up already, would probably be made even harder with more customizable pieces.

Besides, with a helm on (95% of the time) you can't even see the face.

ceriux

Adventurer
Reaction score
i wouldnt go as far as noses eyes ect... but maybe a couple different skins for the faces. that way the players who like their characters to look different can and it wont add to the model count.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I was recently fiddling with "dark energy unholy level", and added a custom skin to make the eyes glow red, however, I'm not sure if it actually works. Skins may not propigate to other clients on player models.

(edit: Actually, it don't seem to be working at all. :\ - Maybe somethin MiB can fix, dunno. Only other alternative would be yet more submodels, and you can only make a model so complex with various submodel groups before HL starts scrambling submodels up.)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Whaaaa? Just cuz you went through over 9000 iterations of code getting the submodel system to work and propagate, you don't wanna do the same thing all over again with skins? ;)

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Considering the submodels still have screwiness? No. I'm good >_>