Ice Shield With HP?

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Instead of having the ice shield last for a defined amount of time, could it be made with HP? Something like the expendable shields.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Sounds like a good earth spell, if you ask me.

That would be a cool first earth spell. But would the shield absorb all the damage? There would have to be a long cool down when you use it. Say, 10K HP, 10 minute cool down WHEN the shield breaks.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Ten thousand HP? Thats seriously like dying for free ten times in a row before there are any consequences, and that is assuming you are Keldorn.

It seems more reasonable to me to have a shield that protected from 100-300 HP max. I'm not sure a cool down is necessary but for a shield like that I'd say it'd need to require at least 300 mana, if not more. That's no different than a spell that gave you character +300 HP for an unlimited period of time. Might be a different story if it only protects from physical damage, though.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
TheOysterHippopotami said:
Ten thousand HP? Thats seriously like dying for free ten times in a row before there are any consequences, and that is assuming you are Keldorn.

It seems more reasonable to me to have a shield that protected from 100-300 HP max. I'm not sure a cool down is necessary but for a shield like that I'd say it'd need to require at least 300 mana, if not more. That's no different than a spell that gave you character +300 HP for an unlimited period of time. Might be a different story if it only protects from physical damage, though.

It would protect you from only physical damage and act as if you were unarmored. So if you would put the shield on and go up against lets say, two Torkalath Blade what ever there name is and they do 800 base damage

800+

So in 4 hits you would already be down 3200.

Tigerkev

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
Instead of HP i would go to Hits.
Like it needs 20 hits to be destroyed or something like that, it's almost the same as HP.What i think with HP it could be abused for low lvls to get parry fast, since low level monsters do not do much dmg you could just stand there with an 10k HP shield and look how your parry raises over time. (it will be changed/taken out i know just sayin)

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Tigerkev said:
Instead of HP i would go to Hits.
Like it needs 20 hits to be destroyed or something like that, it's almost the same as HP.What i think with HP it could be abused for low lvls to get parry fast, since low level monsters do not do much dmg you could just stand there with an 10k HP shield and look how your parry raises over time. (it will be changed/taken out i know just sayin)

It would probably require like 20 SC

Wrath

New Adventurer
Reaction score
It would be better if it turned your mana into additional health. So it takes X amount mana and drains it completely but when you take damage and the shield breaks apart then you get it back. So say it takes 300 mana you get a bonus 300 hp shield and if your health is say 700 you now get 1000 hp so now you take 10 damage you get 10 mana back and your down to 990hp.

Tigerkev

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Heroes of Dawn
Reaction score
Stoned said:
It would probably require like 20 SC
A high lvl can still cast it on a low lvl :roll:

Fegged

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
maybe but there might be a cool down OR its possible for just 3 times a map (like Bludgeon Rage :D)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Stone Skin provides the same protection ratios as Ice Shield, but breaks after X# of HP is absorbed, rather than over time.

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
There are several ways to stop it from being cast on someone without certain parameters met (hp, mp, char level, sc level, etc).

As for the shield itself, I'd rather the ice shield having a hitpoint limit instead of a time limit while still only reducing damage by half, instead of a temporary invulnerability shield.

Srgnt Rehab

New Adventurer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Stone Skin provides the same protection ratios as Ice Shield, but breaks after X# of HP is absorbed, rather than over time.

I take it... you have already been working on this? or are you just shooting ideas like the rest of us?

I'd like to see some useful earth spells that are unique, a shield is a decent idea, but why not a puddle of mud? does damage and slows enemies that walk over it? Maybe that is too much like blizzard. Instead of a slowing effect, it could make the enemies take greater amounts of damage - Armor reduction, making it a useful spell to play when fighting some crazy elf ladies in their +5 chain mail bakini sets that have 50% damage reduction. Not that I'd really care since I still can't really kill them.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I take it... you have already been working on this? or are you just shooting ideas like the rest of us?
Did it, done, like two years ago now... Together with pebble blast, boulder, rock storm (which you've seen), and the beginnings of elemental fists (which, are actually a giant pair of rock fists that beat folks up for you, rather than turning your own fists to stone - but that's something else I'd like to see done.)

but why not a puddle of mud?
Heh... It'd require a model, and I dunno how good we could make it look... Slime model being the closest thing... Ya can't dynamically hollow out the floor and have the monsters fall knee deep in half life... Well... I suppose you *could* simulate it, but you'd need to edit all the models to have an offset submodel where their feet were below the ground. (Dunno if we can pull that code side through the studio renderer though, hrmm...)

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I sent dridje some mudpile models so he could use them as props for his map.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
It'd be easier to make them fall into the floor than that, I'd imagine. Could just come up with a model origin and base all visuals off that and just use the default HL origin as it is now, for detecting where the monster can move, etc. Still way too much work for a simple spell effect >_>

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, I think he wanted them to move more slowly as if their feet were stuck in a pit of mud... Which would mean changing the origin of the model center. If you lower the monster and attempt to stick a monster into a map solid, it will screw up its pitch calcs, and it'll do crazy stuff, like flipping upside down - or just make it vanish completely.

Again, thinking maybe a flag in the model renderer telling it to render the model lower than its actual location, but I dunno how that'd work. Only other way I could think of would be to add new animations or submodels to every model.

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Like I said, two origins. One would be the one that HL and the scripts use for calculating how the monster should be standing. The other would be just where to display the model. It would literally only be used in the renderer. Of course, that leads to all sorts of other problems, but that's beside the point.