In need of custom skin

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Im working on a new spider model, however I dont have any good skin.
If anyone feels like doing it, I will appreciate it very much.
Also here is the UVmap

spider.gif

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
FER said:
Im working on a new spider model, however I dont have any good skin.
If anyone feels like doing it, I will appreciate it very much.
Also here is the UVmap

spider.gif

That looks great :D
I'll see if I can find some time to cobble together a skin in the next week.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
FER, the model looks great and I would love to have it in game. Though the UV looks like didn't really make the 3D into a 2D.

This UV map is a 3D player model that has its front, back, and sides all showing for a texture. That way, no stretched textures will happen.
uv_map.jpg

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
ok made this one showing top (left), bottom and the eyes

spider2.png

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I'm modeling ingnorant, and I must also disappear in about 10 minutes, so this is a rushed comment, but I *think* what he means is, you need to somehow "unfold" the UV map, so that the texture doesn't have to get 'squished' or stretched where the model curves.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Precisely what that is. Aka, "unwrap."

P may not know it, but he's pretty good at it :D

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
AH, sorry but I dont know how to properly UVwrap a model. never found any tuts and the oh so godly modelers (gaz) that never cared to explains others newb modelers :?

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat...We suck :(

But as I said, P knows how to do it, to some extent. He unwrap'd his armor boss model.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Meh, it could have been better. Though to tell you the truth, it was an experience I don't want to not enjoy again.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Truth... Sorry...

Just had to start the year with a f*ck up

[FSM]The Owneded

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I can teach you how to unwrap in 3ds, but not any other program. But heres a few pointers that I hope will work in whatever modeling program you use. Use a checkered texture as a default for your model. This way you can see where the skin gets warped in real-time and adjust the UV. Make the checkers smaller (more dense) in areas that need more detail. Overlapping non-like parts is BAD. In your unwrap, you have some overlap where the legs meet the body. You can save texture space and get a more detailed texture if you overlap the UV in places with a repeated texture. For example, you could unfold the legs and overlap them so that they all use the same texture space; the eyes can be overlapped; symmetrical parts can be mirrored so that you only texture half of that part. It also helps to unwrap the model piece by piece rather than doing a quick top/bottom map. Especially for low-size texture skins, it may be important to align your edges so that they are either entirely vertical or horizontal. This is because straight lines are clearer than diagonal lines in textures. Remember that unused space in the texture still takes up space. Therefore, you should scale your parts so that they fit nicely into the desired region. Empty space is bad. (Banum's unwrap doesn't do that good a job with that.) Scale and rotate your pieces so that they fit into the square like a jigsaw puzzle. Also, avoid seams wherever possible. A seam is where the unwrap is not continuous. For example, if you have a mesh that resembles a cylinder, It should only have one seam. Avoid seems wherever possible by connecting edges that appear twice.
Remember, when you're adjusting the vertexes, try to keep the squares from the checkered texture as least warped as possible, and give more room to the areas that require higher detail. The normally visible parts should have a much greater size on the texture than the other parts. For your spider, the top should have a larger area than the bottom, because the player is usually looking down at it. Also remember that you need to keep as much of the original shape as possible to make it easier for the texturer. The more time you spend on the unwrap, the better your model can be.

I hope all this helps. Gaz gave me a link with a video showing someone doing it in 3ds. I'll see if I can find it.

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Ah, but indentations are trivial when you have line breaks.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
maybe ill release the model with the defaul skin as a placeholder

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I made a black background with RGB scatter for my armor boss :? ...

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
just a common brownish skin, a bit hairy too but not much. basically what a house spiders looks like.

and a green recolour of it