Maps needed for Initial Release

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
First, do not get your hopes up. This does not mean we're anywhere close to a release.

That being said, since Thothie keeps sending mappers my way, and not every mapper can be on the MS:S team, I've compiled a list of maps that will need to be in the first release we ever make. I will post the maps here in a list, you may work on them as the mood strikes you. You may discuss in this thread as well. I look forward to seeing what the community can come up with. The team is handling the tutorial level and Edana internally.

Maps Needed:
Thornlands: Make it BIG.
Plains of Daragoth: Make it BIGGER!
Heras Temple: First available raid/gauntlet map, we're ignoring riverwind.
Edana Sewers: Make it sprawling and like a proper ruined ancient catacombs, it is only a "sewer" in name.

TheOysterHippopotami

Active Adventurer
MSS Developer
DarkTide
Reaction score
Maps Needing Concept Revision:
Edana Sewers: Will need to rethink concept, Edana is much too rural-looking for a proper sewer system.
I believe the lore is that the Edana sewers are actually ruins of waterways from an ancient past culture. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Yeah, as I posted in entirely the wrong thread - Edana's sewers aren't Edana's... The village cropped up around the dig site where the old Temple of Urdual was unearthed, and that refurbished ruin was in the middle of a city of which only the underground structures survived - the sewers being part of that much older ruin.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Oh, okay then. That works a lot better. I'll update the list to reflect this.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Is it possible to make it so that there are no loading times?
I mean, basically the next are loads while you are close to heading that way.

But now that i think about it it sounds stupid since each server plays only one map, unless it could be possible to create an instance were players one the same server can be on different maps.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
The short answer: No, because Source Engine.

Tails

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Orochi said:
First, do not get your hopes up. This does not mean we're anywhere close to a release.

That being said, since Thothie keeps sending mappers my way, and not every mapper can be on the MS:S team, I've compiled a list of maps that will need to be in the first release we ever make. I will post the maps here in a list, you may work on them as the mood strikes you. You may discuss in this thread as well. I look forward to seeing what the community can come up with. The team is handling the tutorial level and Edana internally.

Maps Needed:
Thornlands: Make it BIG.
Plains of Daragoth: Make it BIGGER!
Heras Temple: First available raid/gauntlet map, we're ignoring riverwind.
Edana Sewers: Make it sprawling and like a proper ruined ancient catacombs, it is only a "sewer" in name.
Ok how much of % is it till done or beta? you guys been working on this over i say pfftt almost 10 years.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the sarcastic comment, you contributed nothing. I can't give a percentage of how much is done, but we are still working on it, slow as it may be.

Tails

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Sorry if I upset-ed you I apologize, its just I have not heard any updates to this in while and since I loved the first one, I am looking forward to source or even if hl3 (source 2 engine) if that come out there a big thing it be a true rpg because hl3 is going be sand box open world with rpg elements, if you recycle the coding , models and etc it just be the map you might have to redo. Also again I am sorry that I upset-ed you.

Orochi

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Recycling the coding isn't possible; the Source engine is much more complex than Goldsource. Recycling assets isn't possible either, as this is Source and has a different .mdl format with more information like physics settings and vertex weights. Plus, not to bash MS:C, but HL1's model standards are a little low for a Source engine game.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Not that you'd want to port our nightmarish code, even if you could. It's too tangled with the HL1SDK to be possible anyways.

We might have HD sources of a few of our models laying about, and one or two of our models are ported from dead Source mods - but I think part of the design effort for MSS was to have a more consistent visual theme, rather than the haphazard cookie cutter appearance we have in MSC, with models being borrowed at nearly every oppotunity... Although, I don't think a real specific theme for MSS has been set forth - it'd be kind of nice if there was one, so one could adapt models, made by different artists, to said theme, as the mod has yet to find a modeler so prolific that he might create everything required in one go (and such finds are rare indeed). Same could be said of mapping, of course.

I still think you'd be more apt to attract the required modelers and mappers, however, if you compiled the remainder of the maps you have, and just released them as a HL2 map pack, to which to browse.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Is MSS using its own textures? I can't for the life of me find good medieval styled textures for Half-Life 2.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
The map sources and materials are included in the map demo package. The majority of them are default Half-Life 2 textures.

Glad someone can still use the SDK though - I've not had it work since I put that demo together.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
The map sources and materials are included in the map demo package. The majority of them are default Half-Life 2 textures.

Glad someone can still use the SDK though - I've not had it work since I put that demo together.

Is supersoup still making the plains of Daragoth for MSS?

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Oh sh-... Stoned is back to mapping? :eek:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Stoned said:
Is supersoup still making the plains of Daragoth for MSS?
Not SFAIK. I assume you can use the existing Daragoth source, or start from scratch. (Given that it's nothing but bare bones terrain deforms, you wouldn't lose much time starting from scratch.)

PS. Play nice kiddies. >_>

BoX

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Stoned said:
Is MSS using its own textures? I can't for the life of me find good medieval styled textures for Half-Life 2.

MSS currently has just over 180 new textures, In addition to any found in HL2. Our goal is to continue creating new textures for the mod until it is unrecognizable from HL2 completely.

My friend Supersoup is no longer developing for this mod. It is, however, in good hands :)

Thanks for deleting the childishness T :)

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
TWO THINGS: Consider making thornlands two maps to increase its hub size? Like Inner and outer thorns. Greater and Lesser. West and East? I think it would allow more detail to be applied to thornlands.

2ndly I have an sfor map still lol. :

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/ ... oh0004.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/ ... or0005.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/ ... oh0002.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/ ... ii0003.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b325/ ... ii0002.jpg

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
:oops: Oh wow, i didn't know you did a showcase and stuff. I wish we were more active :'(

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
Yes. I did the work for Sfor and Calruin. You half credited wrong. Sfor credited to Rickler.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Dernitall... I'll see what I can do about that... Sfor was such glorious work, and the deformation from the Thornlands was so similar, I just automatically credited it to Rickler. ;)

crazyghost

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
It's mighty alright Thothie my lord. I probably gave it to Rickler to examine since I was working underneath him.

I'm here to stay. My words couldn't explain the amount of emotion MasterSword brings me. It's incredibly inspirational to me and a few of my game dev friends. It's what I want in an MMORPG. I even tried stealing it. :: :twisted: jks

http://i.imgur.com/57RmK5S.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/SIDY213.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KMbUCfB.jpg

I will always map for MS at the drop of a hat. I can even model and texture and animate. BUT I CAN'T RIG A SKELETON STFU. :evil: