Mastersword crashes when started up in vista

Char

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Am running vista ultimate 64 bit everytime I start up Mastersword it crashes right away and says Half life launcher has stopped working. I've updated the patches for this game as well and it keeps crashing when started up.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Make sure you're running HALF-LIFE in opengl (Half-Life render settings are universal through all mods)

Char

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hi I have to run half life to get MS to work, I go into half life and than go under change game and change it to mastersword. It always crashes within a few seconds of having the game up. I am not sure what you mean when you say open half life in opengl I haven't heard of this term before can you please explain it? thanks

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Go to the OPTIONS, and go to the VIDEO tab. You will see the first dropdown menu being "RENDERER." Always use OPENGL

Char

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hey I tried this while in Half Life seem it was already in that setting and this has not fixed the problem.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Then I cannot help you. I'm sure this issue has been covered before, be patient. Someone will post a fix for you soon enough!

Char

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thanks for trying to help I am sure someone else will help sooner or later.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I can't think of something that'd cause the thing to out and out crash and startup, assuming it's installed correctly and you have the hardware requirements. Runs fine in Win7 64 Ultimate for me.

Few things you can try:
• Turn the bloom off
- edit msc/config.cfg, find ms_bloom_level, set it to 0
• Reinstall Half-Life
- Right click on Half-Life in the games library, click Delete Local Content, re-download, run training room.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
This sounds just like a non steam case to me...

The guy said
I go into half life and than go under change game and change it to mastersword
which makes me believe he is using non steam half life and trying to get ms:c running since there is no "change game" option in half life @steam for ages now, to which we already know the answer.

The answer is, we don't know how to properly setup ms:c outside of steam, in a non steam version of half life. There has been some people in the past questioning us the samething, but the end result is always the same and we try to say that it's easier to just buy half life for steam, install it, play it once (to create destination folders), install ms:c, update ms:c, play ms:c (likely to encounter small issues on first time experience that can be fixed easy).

So yeah, if you are using non steam, i would suggest using the steam version.

Ps: Even if someone was to successfully run a non steam version of half life with ms:c, chances that the game would have gazillions of new glitches and bugs the steam version doesn't.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tis a possibility, and I should've caught that....

$9: http://store.steampowered.com/app/70/
(If you've never bought anything on Steam before, this purchase will also give you access to a good number of Source mods.)

Sadly, we've never figured a way to get MSC to work with any of the non-Steam alternatives nor ye old Half-Life. (Even though it seems to becoming increasingly important that we find a way.)