New Maps!!!1!1

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
YAY

Title: World Walker
Here's my lazy storyline
(Sorry for spelling errors, for you weirdos out there)
A monster of untold evil has emerged from the depths of the earth and has spread it's tendrils of evil across the land and has sealed himself in a fortress only acessable by teleportation. The wizard council has given you acess to thier teleporation devices in order to gather 3 scrolls hidden deep in the earth that will allow you to travel to the monster's lair.
There is rumor that this thing is invincable; his life force is sealed in 2 stones instead of his body, which is merely dead fleash controlled by his will. He had planned to separate them and hide them far far away, but instead, because of his greed, he keeps then close. Destroy them, and you destroy him.

Dowload First Three Maps

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
some parts looka bit plain, but other wise well done! :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
A masterful improvement over your old maps... And dare I say, play wise, even better than many of the stock MS1.35 maps. Aesthetics could be improved a tad, though certainly, this is the cream of the crop for MS maps, even in that department, and I am partial to the Egyptian tomb motif, myself. ;)

There are some technical aspects, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with ripent. Again, you've got func_doors opening all the way to the wall, which generates overlapping brushes, and this will crash some players (or at least lag the hell out of them). As seen at the pick below:

crow_ww_oops2.jpg

Trick here is, again, to use a LIP two to four units less than the distance the door will move (Its length or width, depending on direction).

And ya got one spot where your mons are spawning too high (heads in ceiling effect) - not that we don't see this often on the professional maps ;):

crow_ww_oops1.jpg
Hmm... I can see up its skirt.

Edit: Actually, in this particular spot, this bug is CRITICAL, as it turns out if you back up - one of the skeletons tends to try to walk on the edge of the door and then - off the map - making it impossible to move on to the next area (as that high door won't open). If you can tell me the name of this monster spawn, I can do an emergency fix myself. (Which ever one on WW2 triggers the highest door.)

The download time seemed reasonable on 2 and 3. Map one may need some work (thus far, no one new has connected to that map before it's changed). The issue causing that is the sound set. Most of which I can't even hear, as you've got it set too low, or there's an issue with the ambient:

So here's the easy ripent solutions for that issue:

Redirect (click links to play samples):
These files are likely best replaced with HL1 sounds, in some cases for improved quality.
crow\Amb\Forest\onecricket.wav -> ambience/cricket.wav
crow\Amb\other\burnt.wav -> ambience/burning3.wav
crow\Amb\Wind\spooky_wind.wav -> ambience/des_wind2.wav (or alienwind1.wav)
crow\Amb\Wind\longwind.wav -> ambience/wind2.wav
crow\Triggered\growl.wav -> garg/gar_alert1.wav
crow\Triggered\tomb5.wav -> doors/doorstop2.wav or plats/rackstop1.wav

Duplicate:
These are HL1 sounds that you have duplicated.
crow\Triggered\the_horror1.wav -> ambience/the_horror1.wav
crow\Triggered\the_horror2.wav -> ambience/the_horror2.wav
crow\Triggered\the_horror3.wav -> ambience/the_horror3.wav
crow\Triggered\the_horror4.wav -> ambience/the_horror4.wav

Too long:
These need to be cut down in size by at least half, they will not play on some older sound cards under HL1. Use Goldwave to do this, and cut the end off with 'effects->volume->fadeout' for best results. Resampling may also be possible, though HL1 can only do so many sample formats.
crow\Amb\Forest\day\Birdcalls.wav
crow\Music\frost_song.wav
crow\Music\peaceful.wav -> also replicable with trigger_cdaudio Track#12

That'll save you about 20MB of download time right there.

That torch is kinda nice - but maybe you should make a greater variety of lighting sources, as it gets kinda repetitive, although I love what you did in the red room. ;)

And one last thing... Is this the end? We couldn't figure how to open this door:
crow_ww_end.jpg

Some of the other doors could use some rendering hints/sprites. That bit of glass in the ceiling that opens that door early on could use a slow pulse texture render, for instance, to make it glow.

Great maps, btw... Most of this is nitpicking. :) They've been added to my server, when it's running, through the vote system. I'll add them to Gateroom soon.
"Dennis Hutch had stepped up into the top seat when its founder had died of a lethal overdose of brick wall, taken while under the influence of a Ferrari and a bottle of tequila." - The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul
Saint Thoth

PS. Check yer inbox. :)

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
that door doesnt open!? ARG theres like half the map left ill get right on that
also, you'll need to give me everything for that trigger_cdadiuo, i don't know the stuff i need to enter in ripent for that (since i don't have the source ill need to use ripent)

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
First: Book mark this:
http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.p ... expand=all

Every non-MS entity question you ever had but were afraid to ask will be answered there.

trigger_cdaudio

health - the track# to play.
targetname - the name it is triggered by.

I think the flaw with trigger_cdaudio is that each one can only be triggered once, though this can be countered with a multimanager and multiple trigger_cdaudio's. The entity does not require origin nor angles tags.

Here's track list as best as I can tell, you can examine them in the Half-life GCF:

1-3 Silence?
4, valve\media\Half-Life12.mp3 - boogie intro travel music
5, valve\media\Half-Life07.mp3 - Spookie ambience (MS, Sfor/Calruin)
6, valve\media\Half-Life10.mp3 - Creepie ambience, watedrips, short (MS, Challs)
7, valve\media\Suspense01.mp3 - Short, Slow Creepie intro (MS)
8, valve\media\Suspense03.mp3 - Short, Creepie Intro (MS)
9, valve\media\Half-Life09.mp3 - Bang followed by Creepie, some water (MS, Challs/Calruin)
10, valve\media\Half-Life02.mp3 - Guitar sweeps for Boss Fight (Some techno, but maybe...)
11, valve\media\Half-Life13.mp3 - Creepie alien ambience + Valve theme
12, valve\media\Half-Life04.mp3 - Vaguely Arabic (MS, Calruin/Thornlands)
13, valve\media\Half-Life15.mp3 - Alien Boss Fight (Maybe usable for MS)
14, valve\media\Half-Life14.mp3 - Beep intro alien suspense ambience (maybe for creepie undead)
15, valve\media\Half-Life16.mp3 - The Horror, Followed by Booggie-pop combat music
16, valve\media\Suspense02.mp3 - Short, slow, creepie ambience (MS)
17, valve\media\Half-Life03.mp3 - Guitar sweeping travel music
18, valve\media\Half-Life08.mp3 - Beastwars Battlemusic (maybe MS)
19, valve\media\Prospero02.mp3 - Creepie halo ambience fol. by distant beat (maybe little spacey)
20, valve\media\Half-Life05.mp3 - Distort Guitar Waves
21, valve\media\Prospero04.mp3 - Ethereal Water Music
22, valve\media\Half-Life11.mp3 - Boss fight heavy drum music, as used in Helena (MS)
23, valve\media\Half-Life06.mp3 - Steel Drum Tribal Music
24, valve\media\Prospero03.mp3 - Electric pulse and sweep
25, valve\media\Half-Life17.mp3 - Half-life trans music - ultimate rave room
26, valve\media\Prospero05.mp3 - Scarey Ambience, short (MS)
27, valve\media\Suspense05.mp3 - Room suspense, short (MS)
28, valve\media\Suspense07.mp3 - Orchestral Strike and Sweep
29-30 Silence

If you define "sounds" in the Worldspawn entity, it will play the track# defined therein until the map loads (that is how it works in MS at least - in Half-life the song would loop throughout the map).

PS. And yes Tails, your soul is now forever trapped in the forums, as everyone knows is the case with screen captures and poloroid pictures. :twisted:

HALO

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Hi all im new to this Forums but ive been playing Master Sword for a while now, i liked these new maps, and considering that your a self taught mapper, i think theyre guuuud!

Vomica7

New Adventurer
Reaction score
omg halo fanboy!
chuck.gif

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Self taught mapper... Is there any other kind? Are there classes for this stuff I dunno about? :)

Heh... He's good though. Even in Crow's earlier maps, through all the construction flaws, you can see he had some good game play ideas. And ideas like that, in the long run, can be even more important to a map than technical skill. Granted, it doesn't hurt to have both, which is the ideal that he is rapidly approaching.

Crow - have you uploaded your fixes yet? (ie. Can I update the maps on the server?)

PS. This is also why you should always name your first map releases xxx_beta.bsp - so you can replace them later without giving new clients "your map does not match server's" errors

If you've only made changes to the entities via Ripent, than this should not be an issue.

BTW - if you need a "ripent with visual aid", you can re-arrange the entities in Hammer, and then use:
Code:
HLCSG mapname.map -onlyents
Backup your map first, however, sometimes HLCSG -onlyents doesn't work quite as well as it should, but usually it's a good quick fix. Like ripent it'll update the BSP directly, so long as the MAP and BSP files are within its reach.

Crow

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
Yea, there uploaded.

My friend just yelled at me for not naming it different =P hehe

By self-taught I mean I didn't look at tutorials
I just got help from you guys XD

I LOVE NARUTO!!!1!1 :D

imkongkong

New Adventurer
Reaction score
if ya love naruto watch out for our mod =)

anyways water is really simple... make a brush, tie it to a func_water entity and tada! water as simple as that. although it causes a lot of lag problems, i know a special way to make water lag-free, however the water doesnt bob up and down =)

edit: i've never made a map for this mod, but im thinking i'd liek to create a castle map with a moat and stuff just for fun.. can anyone post the fgd for download, and if theres anything i need to know mapping for this mod.. i dont want to download the mod, just make a map

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
J-M linksed his half-assed FGD once and wasn't struck down by the gods - maybe he's brave enough to do it again, but I'm too cowardly to dare. ;)

The full, official FGD still seems to be in limbo somewhere - but the hacked one works alright. I tried to improve on it myself, but I discovered that caused issues when importing other's maps made by the older FGD.

I think SteveLAFI (Lord Mathias) has the full FGD and is holding out on us all.

Water's pretty bloody easy, the default settings will give you working water... You don't have to cut it up to conform to the pond it's in (if you do, you may get issues). I believe the water's edges can even stretch off the map and ZHLT won't care. So just use boxes when making water, and cover the rims with solids.

It's true water can cause lag issues though, as sometimes it will effectively render from anywhere on the map, so, if you've water with no waves, just use a func_illusionary instead, and fill it with volumetric light. It'll function the exact same way as the water would - save the waves, and generate a lot less fps lag.

The problem I have is getting masters and toggle switches to work (I'm must confess, I don't even fully understand the master thing). It would help a lot for the lighting on this map, and for any edana_sewers map I eventually intend to do. Specifically, I've got a light switch that turns on a light, a sprite, and changes the env_render of the lamp shade between normal and 200/texture(for glowing effect), but I can't figure how to toggle the env_renders properly with the switch.

...and why, Crow, didn't you read the tutorials? ;) Surely you read that one terrain tutorial, seems I saw you using the same method for the ceiling in Underkeep, at least.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
*sigh* Friggen door9 and door10 still won't open... If it's cuz there's a critter off the map edge, or something, I dunno, too damn hard to track it down and find out without decompiling the map... So... I made a temporary fix myself. Just made the doors breakable, if need be. Can't hardly get at them without carving through those skeletons anyways.

http://www.thothie.com/ms/ww3_thoth_fix.rar

Fixes:
- spawn1 skeletons don't spawn with heads in ceiling
- spawn1 skeletons spawn facing towards player
- added various music tracks here and there
- updated res file (no longer downloads materials not used in map)
- added 'to be continued' sprite at ww4 area transition + fan fair
- door9 and door10 are breakable (200-300hp)
- Added additive glow pulse hint to CMM door crystal

(This is a ripent-only fix, connecting clients with other versions of the map will not need to re-download.)

Crow: ya didn't give a renderamt to the CMM breakable crystal, so it came up invisible. ;)

PS. Crow - I can get ya a map tester character (can get through this whole dungeon in 12 seconds or so) if you don't already have one. So long as you promise not to play with/distribute it. ;) I know from experience these maps take far too long to test with legit chars - 'specially high level ones like these.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
BTW, I didn't mean for you to kill your ambient music completely, but rather, to just cut down on the file sizes. It's true peaceful.wav was probably overkill that could be lost, but frost_song.wav, I thought, personally, was a lovely ambient for that dungeon. Not so much a song as creepy background ambient noise, which is really what music should be in these sort of games, IMO. (Seems most people listen to their own music when playing these games anyways, save for myself).

My only play style complaint about this series, is, well, DAMN is it stingy on the treasure! :) Namely: none, zlitch, nadda, save for the pick pocketing corpses.

I've not often held to this theory in my own editing of maps, so I shouldn't talk, but it *should* be possible for one or two high level characters to stand some-chance-in-hell of surviving a dungeon run without dieing, and I think the best way to achieve this, is to pass out some pots now and again. If for no other reason than to supply the illusion that there are dwindling supplies to be relied upon. You could keep some basic thornland or mscave pot chests on the opposite sides of doors that open, or use msitem_spawners to spawn some pots whenever a troll, or group there of, goes down.

Might also not be a bad idea to stick some more crap in that maze in WW3 - just to give a reason to get lost in it. Toss in some monsters or treasure spawns. Maybe monster_clip the front entrance, so you can have something besides skeletons in there.

More secrets also maybe good too. Though WW3 is the only map I've looked at thoroughly (ie. with map viewer) so I may have missed some. I kinda like Thornlands method of a lot of blatantly obvious secrets, encouraging the searching out of the few hard to find ones.

PS. J-M: I think something was up with your puter last night, ya had the lowest ping on the server (aside from those of us on the LAN), and yet you were the only one complaining of lag.