Races and race limitations? (classes)

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I propose that there actually be different playable races in MS: Source!

Please note that these are suggested races which would define player classes, which generally leads to more teamwork.

The original dwarf/elf/human would be good...but perhaps some generic evil ones too?

Dwarf - Adept at axes and blunt arms, cannot proceed very far in magic, and is also limited in MA, Bow, and Dagger. Cannot use longbows. CAN use thrown weapons (javelins, axes, etc)

Elf - Adept at Dagger and Bow, but cannot gain much strength and thus is not very good with sword/axe/blunt/MA. Can Advance fully in magic.

Human - A decent balance, humans can use any of the weapons fairly well, but can only master the sword.

Orc - Some orcs choose to wander away from thier tribes as adventurers: beginner orcs start at a disadvantage in the proposed legal system and will be treated as criminals until they've proven otherwise. As for weaponry, orcs cannot use magic unless they become an orc shaman through a quest (it is forbidden to peasant orcs, and reserved for the shaman). Adept with all physical weapons except the dagger, orcs are a very good choice...if you can get anywhere with them.

Troll - Trolls are large creatures who may suffer disadvantages when trying to maneuver through small spaces, they are very strong. Because of thier size, normal weapons are usually too small for them to do anything with, as such, they will only use two handed weapons or specially made "Oversized" weapons which other races cannot use. Trolls cannot use magic, Period. Trolls cannot use bows, but they can throw objects very...very hard...

Undead - The undead are tenacious, they cannot be dispelled as easily as thier mortal counterparts by normal means...but have a strong weakness to holy weaponry. Undead can use anything, but they should be severely limited in strength and archery, since they dont really have the best of vision with those holes for eyes and can't be all that strong...what with the lacking alot of thier muscle tissues.

I might add more if i think of it...but ah, anyone else have ideas?

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
maybe race and class? undead is a bit vauge...

undead could be anything really, wraith, zombie, skeleton, vampire, lich...but we dont want that much undead stuff...

probably should decide on what all undead class can do...

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
I think the undead should have a special vision since, like you said, they don't have eyes >_>. Not special like better, but different. Like, they can see green blobs for friendly people, red for hostile NPCs and players, etc, and everything else is black (Of course, there would have to be something so they could see the map :D)

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
GNOMES!!!!

everyone loves the super short can't stop talking little people who could build a giant mechanical robot to squish you!

Basically they are fast with next to no health and really high dodge rate, being short an all does have its advantages. as for strength and what not well they will never be strong, and a large knife is basically a sword for them. However they are really smart so SC is one of there strong points.

Nothing more annoying to kill than a fast moving fire thorwing gnome.

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Squirrel... why the hell would the undead be physically weak? That goes against all zombie movies & lore concerning the undead. Magical means & that such crap is supposed to hold them together; therefore LOTS of physical power :D

The Man In Black

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
RiP
Reaction score
Netrogor said:
Squirrel... why the hell would the undead be physically weak? That goes against all zombie movies & lore concerning the undead. Magical means & that such crap is supposed to hold them together; therefore LOTS of physical power :D

....No, it's right on par with Zombie movies. All the people who make ubar powerful zombies for movies fail to realize the horror factor of zombies. The point isn't that they can do things, the point is that there are thousands upon thousands of them EVERYWHERE.

Dead -> Muscle Decay -> Revived -> Undead with no muscles

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
different kind of undead...i'll balance these out later...that'll be one more to physical though...

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
The Man In Black said:
Netrogor said:

....No, it's right on par with Zombie movies. All the people who make ubar powerful zombies for movies fail to realize the horror factor of zombies. The point isn't that they can do things, the point is that there are thousands upon thousands of them EVERYWHERE.

Dead -> Muscle Decay -> Revived -> Undead with no muscles

You ever watch "Dawn of The Dead" where zombies are able to bite clean through bone? Lot of muscle right there.

According to most *GOOD* and *PRESENT-DAY* zombie movies, zombies aren't so much as undead as they are primitive humans looking for food, or biological weapon infected humans looking for food (resident evil & dawn of the dead) :D

Tails

New Adventurer
Reaction score
good idea evil but i hope the when u put on armor in source or each race it shows lets hope >.<

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
it should show...since they'll have to code from scratch it *should* be much cleaner than the current code (which has tons of commented features ni need of fixing, and lots of workarounds - so i'm told)

Sabre

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
You could go further by creating Dark Elves, and dividing up magic into Orderly and Chaotic, so as to diversify each race further.

evilsquirrel

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
hmmm, maybe, but that gives me another idea...

perhaps certain races can learn different magics, and are better with some than others :D

Netrogor

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Squirrel isn't that what Sabre just mentioned, essentially? Diversifying the races & their specialties by making some do an area of magic that others couldn't/would-suck-at...

So... I like Sabre's suggestion then :D

Lanethan

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
...why don't we just add Bludgeon and Gnome to that race list, then change the name to WoW:Source.

Ha! Seriously, though, I doubt we'll see any 'monster-races' in MS. Doesn't make much sense with, well, anything about the original design. As I'm only a consultant on such things, however, I wouldn't rule it out.

But I would be aggainst it. I'd say implement factions and allow players to become evil through actions long before thinking about Troll players.

Blasto121

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
The Pirates of Dreadwind
Reaction score
Lanethan said:
...why don't we just add Bludgeon and Gnome to that race list, then change the name to WoW:Source.

Ha! Seriously, though, I doubt we'll see any 'monster-races' in MS. Doesn't make much sense with, well, anything about the original design. As I'm only a consultant on such things, however, I wouldn't rule it out.

But I would be aggainst it. I'd say implement factions and allow players to become evil through actions long before thinking about Troll players.

it could be called WoW:Source, but most creatures like this come from DnD so it would be closer to DnD:S :D

I agree however that beast races should go ahead and be left out, they are nice but we don't need them in every single game we play. For ease on developers however why not different factions of people. Something like the nords from the elder scrolls games. They are human however due to the climate they live in they gain natural differences from people who live in a different climate. I still think we should keep elves, dwarfs and gnomes, they are basically human but with different heights and such.