New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Re: Dragoon Caverns

Thothie said:
"behavior" is hard to change, but stats and models are easy:
http://www.thothie.com/msc_dev3/ye_bandits.rar

They are old convention, and conglomerated, so it's a bit hard to work with. The larger files contain the conglomerated bandit sets - the smaller ones just define which of the set to use.

Awesome! Thanks! I'll see if I can untangle a few wires XD

I fiddled around with Milkshape and tweaked the Bandit model a bit it's minor but I'd altered it. (even got around to fixing the Sword Jab animation XD)
http://www.mediafire.com/?0cotx01zc4o4517 <- model zipped up. Tell me whatcha think. It's my first full remodel and retexture XD, I was going to add shoulderpads, but I figured that would be best to do in the morning. (or at least when I wake up..)

Milkshape isn't all to hard to use.. the controls can be a tad confusing but it's quite the tool for the job.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Sweet... Ice bandits! :) Meh, so much to do... I gotta work on Skilla's Orc_For scripts if we're going to have a new map for FEB2011. :/

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Sweet... Ice bandits! :) Meh, so much to do... I gotta work on Skilla's Orc_For scripts if we're going to have a new map for FEB2011. :/

Understatement, I can see why doing all this can take so long, with all the scripting and the mapping and the modeling and the tweaking, keep it up you guys are doing Awesim!! :p

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

I got the scripts working like I wanted, random weapons and random elements with their own resistances and weaknesses!

dragoons/dragoon and dragoons/random_random = a random element and weapon.
dragoons/ice_<weapon> = ice element, and weapon or ice_random for a random weapon.

the other elements are the same principle psn_, fire_, zap_ and rand_

All I need to figure out now .. is how to make it so the different element mages cast different spells, the archers different status inducing effects on their projectiles, and the melee fighters having their own status inducing effects.. (poison swords.. lightning maces.. etc etc)

http://www.mediafire.com/?y0lrfpp2yelyrd5
The model is also updated to have all the elements.. BUT! .. I need some better textures.. the ice looks nice but the others make it look like a army of deadly Teletubbies are chasing you around.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

I assume ye've figured out swapping the model is easy as finding the setmodel line and pointing it at new one...

Casting spells usually involves the creation of an NPC at a target point (usually $get(NPCATK_TARGET,origin) - ie. the target's origin). With spells that last a bit, you have to make sure they only cast them so often, so as not to ent spam the place.

Examples (assumes added to bandit script):
Code:
{
	const LIGHTING_SCRIPT monsters/summon/summon_lightning_storm
	const BLIZZARD_SCRIPT monsters/summon/summon_blizzard

const FREQ_SPELL 12.0
	const SPELL_DURATION 10.0
	const SPELL_DOT 100 //DPS - maybe a bit high, depending on what level yer after
}

{ magey
	//you'll have to set MAGE_TYPE as a const in the top script, or choose randomly in npc_spawn
	if ( MAGE_TYPE equals cold ) setvard SPELL_SCRIPT BLIZZARD_SCRIPT
	if ( MAGE_TYPE equals lightning ) setvard SPELL_SCRIPT LIGHTING_SCRIPT
	setvard SPELL_FLINGER 1
}

{ npc_targetsighted //fires every think cycle the monster can see his intended target
	if SPELL_FLINGER
	if game.time > NEXT_SPELL
	setvard NEXT_SPELL game.time //current game time (server up in seconds [floats to 100ths])
	add NEXT_SPELL FREQ_SPELL
	playanim critical ANIM_PREP_SPELL
	callevent 2.0 do_spell
}

{ do_spell
	if NPCATK_TARGET isnot unset //in case target dies before spell completed
	if $get(ent_me,isalive) //in case I die before spell completed
	createnpc SPELL_SCRIPT $get(NPCATK_TARGET,origin) $get(ent_me,id) $get(ent_me,angles.y) SPELL_DOT SPELL_DURATION
}

Other spells that are compatible with those params include:
monsters/summon/keledros_fire_wall
monsters/summon/npc_poison_cloud
monsters/summon/npc_acid_cloud
(Those last three are special variants of the player spells, adjusted for easier use with NPC's, but all share the same parameter set as the other two in the script example)

You'll have to give them some other attack ability to deal with those 10 seconds or so between spells, or just properly defend them with melee based allies.

As for status effects, the common ones and their params are listed under "common effects" in the ms.stx, their usage is demonstrated in the "how_to_make_a_monster.script".

Example: DOT poison on strike:
Code:
{ game_dodamage //PARAM1=hit:0|1 PARAM2=ent_hit PARAM3=(start) PARAM4=(end) DmgType DmgAmt
	if PARAM1
	if DO_POISON_DOT //set in spawn
	applyeffect PARAM2 effects/effect_poison $get(ent_me,id) WEAPON_DOT 10.0
	//^ Poisons target with WEAPON_DOT/DPS for 10 seconds
}

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie said:
I assume ye've figured out swapping the model is easy as finding the setmodel line and pointing it at new one...

Casting spells usually involves the creation of an NPC at a target point (usually $get(NPCATK_TARGET,origin) - ie. the target's origin). With spells that last a bit, you have to make sure they only cast them so often, so as not to ent spam the place.

Examples (assumes added to bandit script):
Code:
{
	const LIGHTING_SCRIPT monsters/summon/summon_lightning_storm
	const BLIZZARD_SCRIPT monsters/summon/summon_blizzard

const FREQ_SPELL 12.0
	const SPELL_DURATION 10.0
	const SPELL_DOT 100 //DPS - maybe a bit high, depending on what level yer after
}

{ magey
	//you'll have to set MAGE_TYPE as a const in the top script, or choose randomly in npc_spawn
	if ( MAGE_TYPE equals cold ) setvard SPELL_SCRIPT BLIZZARD_SCRIPT
	if ( MAGE_TYPE equals lightning ) setvard SPELL_SCRIPT LIGHTING_SCRIPT
	setvard SPELL_FLINGER 1
}

{ npc_targetsighted //fires every think cycle the monster can see his intended target
	if SPELL_FLINGER
	if game.time > NEXT_SPELL
	setvard NEXT_SPELL game.time //current game time (server up in seconds [floats to 100ths])
	add NEXT_SPELL FREQ_SPELL
	playanim critical ANIM_PREP_SPELL
	callevent 2.0 do_spell
}

{ do_spell
	if NPCATK_TARGET isnot unset //in case target dies before spell completed
	if $get(ent_me,isalive) //in case I die before spell completed
	createnpc SPELL_SCRIPT $get(NPCATK_TARGET,origin) $get(ent_me,id) $get(ent_me,angles.y) SPELL_DOT SPELL_DURATION
}

Other spells that are compatible with those params include:
monsters/summon/keledros_fire_wall
monsters/summon/npc_poison_cloud
monsters/summon/npc_acid_cloud
(Those last three are special variants of the player spells, adjusted for easier use with NPC's, but all share the same parameter set as the other two in the script example)

You'll have to give them some other attack ability to deal with those 10 seconds or so between spells, or just properly defend them with melee based allies.

As for status effects, the common ones and their params are listed under "common effects" in the ms.stx, their usage is demonstrated in the "how_to_make_a_monster.script".

Example: DOT poison on strike:
Code:
{ game_dodamage //PARAM1=hit:0|1 PARAM2=ent_hit PARAM3=(start) PARAM4=(end) DmgType DmgAmt
	if PARAM1
}

Using those snipets I got several buggy errors. the first set caused all of the attackers to have the ability to cast the spells.. ultimately.. Crashing the game due to creation overload. I managed to fix it by rearranging the snippets code.

The second caused a glitch where the visual effects would not go away.. only when I died.
I changed it a bit and turned
Code:
into
Code:
if ( ELEMENT == 1 ) //set in spawn
   {
   applyeffect PARAM2 effects/effect_poison_dmg 10.0 $get(ent_me,id) $rand(5.0,15.0)
   }
Results came out exactly how I wanted.
Although the codes didn't quite work.. it was a base I was able to fix and use :)

Thanks for the help Thothie! :mrgreen: (sorry if it seems sarcastic XD)

I beleive I can finish the map now that I got this done, just need a boss... Maybe I can alter the Bandit boss scripts a bit and make a lance using fellah that can cast all the spells.?... more modeling! YEAAAAAAY!!!

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Looking at the code now, I think the forums parsing messed up the placement a bit. "setvard SPELL_FLINGER 1" should be under the "{ magey" event - but the way the line breaks here, it may have wound up in npc_spawn, in which case, yes, everyone would be a spell caster. ;)

If you wanna make sure the weapon DOT bandits only do their DOT effect when they strike with their weapon (should they have some other attack), follow the example in the "How_to_make_a_monster.script" and set a flag when they attack that resets at every dodamage attempt.

eg.
Code:
{ attack
	setvard MELEE_ATTACK 1
}

{ game_dodamage

if ( MELEE_ATTACK )
	{
		if PARAM1
		//applyeffect code here
	}
	setvard MELEE_ATTACK 0
}

If they only have one attack, this isn't really required though.

Also, in terms of monster placement - if you have multiple enemies with varied elemental attacks, please don't "rainbow" them, save maybe in well defined groups on opposite ends of the room, or in some challenge area or boss room - kinda removes any possible strategy when using counter-elemental tactics. (Just a personal nit-pick mind ye, ya can do whatever ya want.) ;)

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Oh I plan to for the boss fight, but they will be grouped by element in each encounter area. getting harder down the path.

Is it possible to make your own weapons by chance? So I can try to make a reward for the players when they finish? (shouldn't bother asking but what the heck XD)

I wanna try and make lance weapon to go with the theme of the enemies, something with spark but still considered mid-level weapon.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Ya can't make your own items with the scripting system provided (again, more of a limitation of dynamic scripts than a security thing), but if you have a model we can make arrangements.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Ya can't make your own items with the scripting system provided (again, more of a limitation of dynamic scripts than a security thing), but if you have a model we can make arrangements.

AIght I'll try and get a model built up.. Thanks for giving it to me straight.

EDIT:
I have the Lance done.. I think.. theres always room for improvement but I'm satisfied with it..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

I'd *prefer* all three of course, but I can work with just a p_model - or just a mesh for that matter... But I'll probably be the one putting it into the viewmodel, and my alignment isn't always perfect, being a pretty skakey with Milkshape. (Granted, I did stick all the current ones into the viewmodel from pure meshes, but FER did the p/w_models, and all the anims, of course.)

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie said:
I'd *prefer* all three of course, but I can work with just a p_model - or just a mesh for that matter... But I'll probably be the one putting it into the viewmodel, and my alignment isn't always perfect, being a pretty skakey with Milkshape. (Granted, I did stick all the current ones into the viewmodel from pure meshes, but FER did the p/w_models, and all the anims, of course.)

Mmk Here it is, a mdl (My first from scratch model XD tell me what ya think), a ms3d file and a smd
http://www.mediafire.com/?l1bkffo1vbezb4m

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Looks usable... Although I thought you said something shockie, and it this looks more burnie (which maybe just as well, as we already have a shockie lance). About what level range are ye looking at for ye map?

(Also with a name like "dragonlance" should it not be saved for Riverwind/Goldmoon? :p)

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Looks usable... Although I thought you said something shockie, and it this looks more burnie (which maybe just as well, as we already have a shockie lance). About what level range are ye looking at for ye map?

(Also with a name like "dragonlance" should it not be saved for Riverwind/Goldmoon? :p)

I'm trying to make it mid-level 20-30 but I'm unsure how to determine that without proper testing.

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score

furion001 said:
Thothie said:

I'm trying to make it mid-level 20-30 but I'm unsure how to determine that without proper testing.

Use multiple test characters that range from 20-30 and see if the map is challenging enough that it is too hard to be easy yet it is too easy to be hard. That's one idea on how to see if it matches that level range at least...

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score

There's a difference between "challenging to solo 20-30" and "challenging for multiple people 20-30". A huge difference.

You don't need to test singleplayer, though. Ask Thoth about setting up test characters for multiple people, if you don't already know how. ;)

Stoned

New Adventurer
Reaction score

CrazyMonkeyDude said:
There's a difference between "challenging to solo 20-30" and "challenging for multiple people 20-30". A huge difference.

You don't need to test singleplayer, though. Ask Thoth about setting up test characters for multiple people, if you don't already know how. ;)

Right, what he said :?

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

I'm not sure how to go about building said characters? is there a command that I need?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

I'll send ya a test set... Generally, if a level 35 character has a hard time with it alone, you've got it setup right to deal with maybe three level 25, although you kinda have to pay attention to the reasons it's being hard on him.

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Alright! sorry for the long pause in updates, life threw some things in my way that I had to deal with..

But anyway...

I HAVE made a boss character that the players will face at the end.
http://i.imgur.com/7q2aP.jpg
he's a lot like the bandit leaders in the_keep except for:

-He only carries one weapon, the Dragon Lance, (Or Lance of Infernos, whichever is cooler)
-His health is slightly higher (want him to be a bit tougher than the basic bandit leader)
-He does a Fire DoT on hit (because of weapon)
-He has a new MoreOrLess cheesy pulling phrase. (No longer "Get over here")

Progress on the map is nearing completion, just have to put some monsters in a couple more rooms and add a bit more difficulty to the boss with minions... soon as it's done I will fine tune areas and it will be ready for testing.

J-M v2.5.5

BANNED
BANNED
Reaction score

I ran through the 'tour version' of your map once. You won't like me for saying this, but I thought it was incredibly blocky. One of the blockiest maps I have ever seen. Is the latest version less blocky?

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

J-M v2.5.5 said:
I ran through the 'tour version' of your map once. You won't like me for saying this, but I thought it was incredibly blocky. One of the blockiest maps I have ever seen. Is the latest version less blocky?

As it's posted, that is the outdated version, when I had everything at base architecture, the current version is much more detailed. so yeah it is less blocky.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score

Think it's largely those textures. What ancient game are those from?

furion001

New Adventurer
Shadows of Torkalath
Alpha Tester
Reaction score

Thothie said:
Think it's largely those textures. What ancient game are those from?
Might and Magic 6 Mandate of Heaven
Ye olde pre-WindowsNT game,

The map also has a complete re-texturing so it doesn't look too blocky.. except in some areas where I thought the textures looked nice.