[REQ] Voice Acting

Roghan

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Ok I tried some more with Findlebind but I wasn't sure if it was the voice you wanted. I wanna go back and touch up on these a bit more but didn't wanna do the whole thing and find out the voice was off. It seems a bit raspy to me but I don't really remember how you wanted it lol.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Roghan said:
Ok I tried some more with Findlebind but I wasn't sure if it was the voice you wanted. I wanna go back and touch up on these a bit more but didn't wanna do the whole thing and find out the voice was off. It seems a bit raspy to me but I don't really remember how you wanted it lol.
Roghan said:
Ya I totally screwed that up it wasn't the rar it was the audio files. This set should work.

Sorry for my delay at getting at these... Things' been hectic...

Neither of these files seem to be intact though.

I think... Maybe you're changing the playback rate, when you need to be changing the sampling rate... Not that you can't just leave that for us to do.

...Or maybe it's just that they are sampled at 192Khz, and my regular player is just flipping out... Seems maybe they'll play alright in Goldwave, so I'll get them looked over - though it'll take a bit longer.

Sterling

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I'm quite interested in doing some voice work for this game, however...

I've noticed the dialogue that has been requested to be read, is already in the game. Do we still read this out? Or is there new dialogue that is needed?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Well, yeah, we have text acting, what we need is voice acting - so yes, the dialogue is already written up.

If you want to be creative, you can create your own dialogue, or tweak the existing dialogue, so long as you get the same message across in about the same amount of time.

Should point out that Jerdid and Vadrel got added in the last patch, in case ye missed it.

Oh, and the link for the collected speech text should be live again.

Sterling

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Well, yeah, we have text acting, what we need is voice acting - so yes, the dialogue is already written up.

If you want to be creative, you can create your own dialogue, or tweak the existing dialogue, so long as you get the same message across in about the same amount of time.

Should point out that Jerdid and Vadrel got added in the last patch, in case ye missed it.

Oh, and the link for the collected speech text should be live again.

Ah, I think you may have misunderstood me. Apologies for not being so clear! :p

What I meant was, I have indeed noticed that Jerdid and Vadrel were added into the game, along with their voices. My question really was, do they still require another voice actor, seeing as the text in the first post of this thread still has it up for grabs? Or just everything besides those two?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Just about everything else... We're not looking to replace existing voice acting, but to add more voice acting - unless, maybe, there's something you're convinced you can do exponentially better. Personally, I'm fairly satisfied with most of our voice acting - and a few of them are real gems, especially by mod standards... Though some folks have been complaining about Jaminporlants - beyond the simple volume issues (I suppose he does sound a little on the gay side, but the guy who did it is kind of a professional, so IDK if we can do better).

If you have a specific character in mind, tell me, and I'll separate his text out from that big mess, and maybe give some background info on the NPC and such to help you out.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
These are freaking beautiful... Damn, it'd be great to have you do the voices for half the characters in the game, if not for the fact that they'd all start sounding alike. ;)

You just do up the rest of his lines... and I'll see about assembling Forsuth in an easy read format, since you're interested - he's awfully blabby though.

Monika's_BFFEx0256

Old Skool Apostle
Reaction score
Still confused as to why this is under maps, and not under sound...

edit: I WIN! ^_^

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Added Forsuth's write up to the top post... Tis lengthy though.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Here's the rest of Findlebind. I've also been busy and done Forsuth's lines for the Summit as well as his lines for the Wall too. Tell me if there's anything that needs improving, or any files that are in the wrong sample rate, etc. I'm afraid I took a few liberties with script (nothing too huge) just so I could get my teeth round some of the lines, haha.

EDIT: C-c-c-combo! Smivel, Piss-your-Pants Division of Galat Storage and Varondo, huzzah. I went a bit off-track with the more mechanical lines (can't find items etc) but otherwise they stick to the script. Looking back on these, they're pretty similar so no biggie if they're unusable.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Oh gawds these are wonderful... Wish we could just use you everywhere without getting Oblivion syndrome.

Hrmm... I neglected to include the files Forsuth doesn't actually speak... Combat, and such... Not sure how glaring the resulting inconsistencies would be... They are all real short though.

Those would be located in msc/sound/voices/dwarf...

Lemme see which ones he actually uses, as I think ye can be skippin some of 'em:
Code:
 	const SOUND_BATTLE_CRY1 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_attk.wav
	const SOUND_BATTLE_CRY2 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_bat1.wav
	const SOUND_BATTLE_CRY3 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_bat2.wav
	const SOUND_BATTLE_CRY4 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_bat3.wav
	const SOUND_BATTLE_CRY5 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_050.wav
	const SOUND_VICTORY1 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_haha.wav
	const SOUND_VICTORY2 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_vict.wav
	const SOUND_PAIN1 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_hit1.wav
	const SOUND_PAIN2 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_hit2.wav
	const SOUND_PAIN3 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_hit3.wav
	const SOUND_COME_HERE voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_say.wav
	const SOUND_HEALER1 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_heal.wav
	const SOUND_HEALER2 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_help.wav
	const SOUND_HI voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_hi.wav
	const SOUND_HI_ALT voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_054.wav
	const SOUND_BYE voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_bye.wav
	const SOUND_DEATH voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_dead.wav
	const SOUND_YES voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_yes.wav
	const SOUND_NO voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_no.wav
	const SOUND_LAUGH voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_haha.wav
	const SOUND_ATTACK1 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_atk1.wav
	const SOUND_ATTACK2 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_atk2.wav
	const SOUND_ATTACK3 voices/dwarf/vs_ndwarfm1_atk3.wav

And bloodrose (msc/sound/npc/):
Code:
 	const SOUND_INTRO npc/dwarftakeoffhat.wav
	const SOUND_SERVICE npc/dwarfatservice.wav
	const SOUND_GOODDAY npc/dwarfchitchat.wav

These lines are all fairly generic, so you can also replace them with whatever you feel appropriate, and the length doesn't have to match up.

Ye can probably be skippin' all the grunt and unf lines. I suspect some of these other hi/bye lines maybe replaced by your speech.

Arg, the accent be catchin'!

Heh... Poor Smivel... I suppose he should be glad he didn't get assigned to The Shadahar Villa... Or Edeadna. ;)

MrJohnson

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Code:
	const SOUND_SERVICE npc/dwarffatservice.wav

What I read... thinking... what fat service does he offer?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
"It's not the height - it's the width!" - Ancient Dwarven Proverb

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Hahaha. Yeah, I'll give the grunts a bash... also, if you need any creepy voices doing, I can have a go at sticking some effects on and such, too.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Probably more of those than just about anything else... Though, among the blabbier ones, as described in the top post:

Sorc_Villa Alchemist
Sorc_Villa Smith
Sorc_Villa Bulge (Troll Djinn)
Maldora (lots)
Voldar
Undamael

The last three in particular would probably require some synthesized effects, and/or multiple voices running over one another.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Oh yeah, these are good... Ah... Guess I have to go looking into gathering the texts now. ;)

edit:
Oh gawds I'm an idiot... I just realized something... Undamael has no lines! >< (Meh, I suppose he's creepier that way...)

edit2:
Also, for Maldora to work, you'd have to voice two generic orcs, and Voldar as well, as most of his lines are conversations with said.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
Haha, I could just do the old Diablo voice-acting tactic of HEAVY LOW-PITCH BREATHING and that should do the trick for Undamael. If you're happy to tap out the lines then I'll gladly voice 'em.

EDIT: I can see why Maldora became a wizard after finding out about his previous job...

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Heh... I've added Maldora to the top post - but it's a bit messy... The fact that he's often talking with other NPCs means you'd have to voice them too - but as they are minor, or one shot, maybe you won't be too intimidated by it.

He does have several other appearances scheduled (as noted), but they've not been written up yet. Some of the King's lines are written up... If you wanna have your hand at a future script that's been back burnered almost as long as our elf model, the brit voice might go well with him, and it may make it worth my while to script up his actual encounter with Maldora, when he manifests in court. *sigh* Granted, Agrath is supposed to be there for that too... You'd wind up talking with yourself a hell of a lot. ><

...and as I mentioned above, I completely forgot that Undamael, is indeed, a silent villain, at least the way we currently have him scripted up. Seems we have another talking skeleton around here somewhere... I guess, maybe the wizards and skeletons in Bloodrose (aside from the password encounter - which I'm not sure is working anymore) could use some voicing.

Tentadrilus

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Reaction score
I'll certainly have a go at the Voldar + wicardoven encounters. I'll try and fit in everything I possibly can until Saturday (which is when I go off to university) so feel free to chuck anything and everything at me, haha. Is there any particular file naming convention you'd like me to conform to, by the way?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Not required, but if they were numbered-prefixed by the order they appear in the posted text, and kept short, and without spaces, it'd speed things up adding them in on my end. It's not much work for me to rename them though.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Tentadrilus said:
Hate to bump, but what's the verdict?
Oh, yeah, I already started adding these! :oops:

Bit slow going though - I keep getting called out lately. Takes a bit of fandangling to sync these up and test them proper, and there be a lot of em. ;)