Running MSC without OpenGL?

Antimatter

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
My Computer doesn't run OpenGL and it appear's Msc can only run using OpenGL. Is there anyway of running Msc with anything else?

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
You need to be a bit more specific, as there are many things that take effect on that, for example, i changed OS from xp SP2 to W7, i had issues running opengl in the beginning too, i messed a bit with the video options and managed to put it to work.

My graphics card is nvidia, dunno about yours but i heard ati has issues if i'm not mistaking.

Try running in window mode and changing the resolution, mine only works with max resolution (1280 x 720 or something) plus low gamma, if i set it up high it usually starts conflicting for some reason. And when i run in window mode, it usually works without any conflicts cropping up.

Antimatter

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
My graphics card is a Intel(R) HD graphic's. I've tried running in a window with my highest resolution 1152 x 864 and every resolution possible. The lowest my gamma will go is half way for some reason, every time I set it to it's lowest and click apply it just goes up to half way. I get into the game it just has extreme lag. Which it shouldn't because I can run the newest games smooth and in HD.

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
If you are getting extreme lag, try turning of bloom when u get ingame, default key to turn it on/off is B. Search the forums for extra info... Bloom is an addition that works perfectly for some but completly fucks up the game for others, your case might be the negative one.

Antimatter

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
I have been told to try that and it doesn't help the slightest. Thanks for trying anyways..

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Intel graphics are always very hit or miss... The cards seem to be optimized for very specific games, so they tend not to work well with games that come out after their release, nor with legacy games. They particularly hate the OpenGL model of Half-Life (Quake 1-2), while they handle Quake 3's GL just fine...

There's at least two things they really don't like in Half-Life:
- Dynamic Lights
- Sprites and beams

Sprites/beams you canna do much about, but you can disable most Dynamic Lights in MSC with r_dynamic 0.

Downside is Glow won't work (at all)... You can somewhat compensate this by setting a fog (eg. setweather fog_white 1 1 ), as it'll highlight the edges of dark hallways and the like (this only affects your client, so you don't have to worry about fuxing with the game for others). The Intel cards don't seem bothered by the linear fog render MSC uses.

Mind you, this only applies to dynamic lights created after r_dynamic 0 is set, so you may want to add it to your userconfig.cfg or some such, especially if you have a Ring of Felewyn.

While they are still trying, the Intel graphic series is not good for gaming in general, even though, yes, on quite a few mainstream games it operates fine (even if they never put out the performance of an actual gamer card, such as nVidia or even ATI/AMD). As such, if you're going to do a lot of gaming, I'd strongly suggest investing in an actual performance accelerator, but I understand, sometimes ya don't have a choice in the matter.

Antimatter

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
Yea nothing works. It's a shame though. I know a good few people, who are having this problem. Is there anyway of running MSC with D3D or Software?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I wish. :\ I've screamed and moaned at six different coders, trying to get them to figure that out over the years, and hacked at it myself, to no avail. Shuri said he was onto something, but alas, much as with the overflow solution he had, he didn't elaborate before he was driven out. :/

Antimatter

New Adventurer
The Dragonknights
Reaction score
That's bad news :( Thank's for your help anyways. Much appreciated,

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Thothie said:
Shuri said he was onto something, but alas, much as with the overflow solution he had, he didn't elaborate before he was driven out. :/

Time to seek the one... If by any chance anyone finds him, tell him that both cornholio and JM have been "driven out" aswell, so he can "drive" back in and start working on his past projects again. :twisted:

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Meh, all my contacts for him are dead, including MSN - since Microsoft pulled the plug on that... No info in his forum ID. This was also before the Steam Community function, so can't track him that way either. Not that I think he'd be exactly anxious to come back after all these years, assuming he hasn't been kidnapped by aliens or killed by wild boars, as happens to so many MSC developers.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Dun think so...

I do have a slight update on this. I has read that the new Half-Life update included an opengl32.dll in its core folder which, as one would expect from the newer updates, is utter shit - especially on Intel GMA's. You might try deleting/renaming it, in which case it should default to your system's opengl32.dll, or replacing it with an opengl32.dll from another game. Might work, might not, might also get undone the next time Half-Life updates, even if you have Half-Life updates disabled.

But... If you replace the OpenGL.dll with a more optimal one, be very sure not to connect to any VAC enabled servers, with any Half-Life game... Safer to just delete/rename.