Your top 10 maps

Hemeriodius

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to see which maps people like the best. Post your 10 most favorite MSC maps here.

#1 Aluhandra2
#2 Bloodrose
#3 Isle
#4 Aleyesu
#5 Lodagond-2&3 (I count them as one map)
#6 Oceancrossing
#7 Heras
#8 HIghlands_MSC
#9 Keledrosruins
#10 MS_Wicardoven

zeus9860

Active Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Crusaders
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
#1 Char_recover (got to admit, it's a good map to play hide n seek or pvp without someone being a sissy) :roll:
#2 Aleyesu (Sand'ish maps ftw)
#3 kfortress (map hasn't been released yet, but when i played it, looked pretty awesome to me and was also a good challenge)
#4 Demontemple (like the map's idea)
#5 Chapel (good place to hang out and can't get bored of this map somehow)
#6 Isle (same has #5)
#7 Lost_caverns (same has #4)
#8 Bloodrose (same has #4 and #7)
#9 The_keep (awesome but gets boring sometimes)
#10 Isleofdread2 (the remake version made by JM, looks better than the current one and seems to be good to explore serets from what i heard)

There's other maps i couldn't put on the list, if i could i would add around 4 or 5 maps that i consider good.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Aesthetic Architecture Prizes
#1 Lodagond Series (Crow)
#2 Nearly Everything by Rickler (ie. Shad_Palace, Aluhandra2, Aleyesu, Smugglers_Cove)
#3 World Walker Series (Crow)
#4 Keledrosruins (Brandon)
#5 Helena (Lord K) [although maybe Wicard Oven by Replica, hrmmm...]

Gameplay Prizes
#1 Cleicert (Dridje)
#2 Isleofdread2 & Gertenheld_Forest (same game play, really, just diff levels) (Dridje)
#3 Old_Helena (Lord Maz) & Foutpost (Foamy) (again, same diff)
#4 Curse of the Bear Gods Series (Crow) (Replica's Skycastle also deserves some aesthetic mention)
#5 Blood Rose by Foamy (Although I could tie it with yet to be released Shad_Palace, where the teleport system keeps you on yer toes.)

Seems to me The_Keep deserves some "best balance" prize, being both pleasing in game play and aesthetic, but not extremely enough in either category to make either top five. So, honorable mention, as it were. I'd also like to stick Lodagond-4 somewhere on the gameplay ladder, just for the variety of challenges. ms_snow has the best "omfg swarm" moments, surely.

I've yet to play Thanatos, Kfortress, or Nashalrath with a full crew. Same can be said for quite a few of the other soon-to-be-released maps, where I'm uncertain how they'll play out (all publicly tested, just not with me as part of it). Thanatos and Nashalrath seem to have some potentially good game play. On Thanatos, my main might even live through most of it. ><

The_Wall's still being populated, and DerWintwater is being remade (unplayable as is), so we'll see. Suspect both will be deferred to patch after next.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
2-3 feel like filler to me, although both are very pretty (hence "Aesthetic Architecture" prize, but no "Gameplay" prize for Lodagond). #4 has a wider variety of stuff going on: point offense, followed by weird water drop, followed by swarmed point defense, followed by floating jump puzzle, followed by zerg rushing a few mini-bosses... Followed by damning myself for not leveling my main past the early thirties, hitting Maldora on the head with the Raven Mace, while dashing by and letting the real men handle him. ;)

replica

New Adventurer
Reaction score
1- Thornlands - Surprised this isnt #1 on everyones list, this map is simply amazing as a beginner
2- Curse of the Bear Gods Series - Played these maps countless times, the whole series is awesome
3- ms_snow - There was a time when this was THE map to play, it was also the hardest, but great fun.
4- World Walker Series - Whenever we would be just sitting around on a map doing nothing, a map vote for ww1 was always a solid choice
5- Nightmare Thornlands - This map also used to be the shit, it had all kinds of great loot
6- calruin2 - The blacksmith boss fight.
7- b_castle - I always enjoyed doing the jump puzzle easily, while the poor bastards who suck at jumping had to fight through the gate
8- oceancrossing - Incredibly well made map. It would get a higher spot but the servers can barely handle all the shit spawning and I usually find myself ice skating around the boat a lot
9- demontemple - Amiannoyingnow is a pretty decent mapper, the combination of that and the unique monsters made this map pretty enjoyable.
10- Isle of Dread 2 - Very interesting concept and definitely a good play
10- foutpost - Also a great concept, but brawlers really piss me off

I havnt played the newer maps a whole lot, so i guess this list is a little more old fashioned.

PBarnum

New Adventurer
MSS Developer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Old fashioned is the way to be. Just like how part of my list is :D

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I don't recall ever changing the loot in nightmare_thornlands. I suspect what's there is just doesn't look so hot anymore. :) (Plus the loot there was made before the player-ramping treasure, so they aren't nearly as generous as the newer chests, when you have a crew.)

Replica said:
6- calruin2 - The blacksmith boss fight.
Thanks, that was my first effort for a really elaborate fight, and I thought it came off a bit hacky.

Islesofdread1 was just too damned short, but I think you'll find the newer one much more interesting.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
I don't recall ever changing the loot in nightmare_thornlands. I suspect what's there is just doesn't look so hot

I think he means acid bolt, bone blade and snake staff used to spawn there in

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Still do... Or should... I just noticed a bug with acid bolt scrolls though that maybe stopping them from spawning in some JUN2008 chests; fixed that. All the modified dates for the chests involved are dated before the map's.

FER

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Yeah I know acid bolt still spawns, tough not in the easy to get chest it used to, nor with the generous spawn rate it had (I mean when the map was just released)

BoneBlade I hadnt seen it spawn there nor getting dropped by poison skeleton nor falling from the sky, only trough the chest of the dagger wielding bandit boss.

Snake staff I guess was moved when slithar appeared.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
I did reduce the drop rates for the poison skeletons and bone blades as it were bugged - it was dropping 10% of the time, which wasn't the intent (was supposed to be 0.1%) - but that was gobal of course. The rest should be there, as again, chests' files have not changed since before the map was released... But the really odd thing is the acid bolt scroll should NOT spawn as the acid bolt scroll script itself is (or was) bugged in such a way that prevented it from registering in non-artifact chests.

tn703678

New Adventurer
Reaction score
#1 chapel
#2 isle
#3 Heras
#4 highlands_msc
#5 lodagond-3
#6 smugglers_cove
#7 demontemple
#8 bloodrose
#9 MS_Wicardoven
#10 mscave

8)

Monika's_BFFEx0255

New Adventurer
Reaction score
1. Daragoth- Good noob map, I've always liked it
2. mscave- The Shadahar fight is fun, even running it 50 times
3. islesofdread1- Detailed, great with new stuff!
4. bloodrose- Epic.
5. gertenheld_cape- First map I ever played in MSC
6. the_keep- Damn Nova Blade was hard to get...
7. sfor- Always puts a chill in the air for me
8. calruin2- Just because I like hearing,"YOURE TOO LATE! HUHAHAHAHAA HAA!".
9. CotBG
10. ms_snow

Scotsman

New Adventurer
Reaction score
Being level 16 I can't go through some of the higher level maps without dying a few hundred times so my maps are mostly low level areas.
I also kind of buggered it after reaching about map #8, I just had to get 10 maps instead of going for less just to keep with the thread.

#1 - Calruin 2
For me it has to be the music, but the boss fight is certainly interesting and the few puzzles do at least need some thought, well, for those that haven't played the map before anyway.

#2 - Deralia
There is just something about enduring a whole bunch of fights from the previous maps to enter a friendly little city, more or less the feeling I get from it.

#3 - Chapel
Decent music, and as some people say, there is just something about it that makes it nice to hang about.

#4 - Edana
Walking into this town and hearing the music brings sudden memories of wandering in as a newbie to this mod. I would call it nostalgia but I don't think I could clarify less than a few months as nostalgia.

#5 - Edana Sewers
My favourite map for low level training, the range of enemies in this map also adds the atmosphere into it.
But those bats...

#6 - Helena
After wrecking the spider's cave with my brother on Thornlands and heading here, a peaceful little village, market stalls and everything. Until it comes under attack. Good music and a little action. Perfect mixture.

#7 - MSCave
Some good loot if you remember where to go and contains some the best voice acting. Ever.

#8 - sfor
Certainly a good design for a forest and contains my favourite enemies. Spiders!

#9 - Gate City
A whole city built in a mountain/cave? Yes please.

#10 - Ocean Crossing
Don't you want to be a pirate?

CSS

New Adventurer
Reaction score
tn703678 said:
#1 chapel
#2 isle
#3 Heras
#4 highlands_msc
#5 lodagond-3
#6 smugglers_cove