INFO VISTA/ATI ISSUES [/BIG WHITE THING OBSCURING VIEW]

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
OpenGL is not fully reigned in by Vista Media Protection, and ATI seems to have vowed to stop supporting it. Steam has kindly developed an virtual GL application layer that helps circumvent this, but the more exotic extensions used by Master Sword: Continued, and a few other mods, will still cause display issues in Vista and with some of the newer ATI cards. As always first be sure you are using the very latest graphic drivers!

ati_sux.jpg
If ye get something along these lines when trying to play MSC, you're one of the lucky ones, as odds are all you need to do is disable the MSC hud.

Type in console:
Code:
ms_hidehud 1
This will hide your hud. You may need to open msc/userconfig.cfg with notepad and add that line to make this effect permanent.

Great! Now how do I know how much health and mana I have?

Sadly, you'll have to get your health and mana readouts from the combat hud now (ie. where your hit/miss reports). Type in console:
Code:
show_health 1
Your health will be displayed whenever you are damaged or healed. Your mana will be displayed whenever you cast a spell. This setting will save with your character - so if you make or load a new character, you'll have to set it again.

If world reflections or the little dude in the middle of your hud start causing you problems, you can disable them with the following entries:
Code:
ms_reflections 0
ms_lildude 0
* I wanted to title this "Vista Victims", but I'll resist... I'm making too much money off Vista victims to bother just now. ;P

ALTERNATE SOLUTION

Go to your MSC folder and delete:
msc\gfx\vgui\hud_main.tga

This will eliminate the vials that make up the health bar backing, but they should still display.

PLEASE COMPLAIN ON SOME ATI/VISTA FORUM SOMEWHERE: IF ATI CAN'T HANDLE OPENGL THEY SHOULD GET OUT OF THE GRAPHICS CARD BUSINESS

HumanSteak

New Adventurer
RiP
Reaction score
/Me agrees
But this tread is for those who were tempted/forced to use vista only :wink:

Darkside1

New Adventurer
Reaction score
I dont use GL i use My own somet thingy software which.... MEH im gonna try find a low budget cost vista ultimate and play with that i suspect i wont have the problem... Hopefully :oldshock:

scaredwolf

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Heh....used my screen shot eh? I decided to get back into MSC and installed everything, but I can't even join a server because no matter what Video setting I set it too, it goes back to software, and if I force it to join a server, I get a ton of memory Errors that never end until I close msc with my Control Panel

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
*sigh* Vista's going to kill this game. Too many stupid mothers buying Vista for their kids I guess...

I wish I could figure a way to get the game to just not render the stuff that requires the advanced GL extensions that Vista, and some Linux windows emulators, seem to hate so, but thus far, no luck. Seems we're only compatible from Win98 to WinXP (maybe Win2003 Server), and even then, just barely.

I've not asked Hellzcook how he's doing, Vista-wise, he may have some advice.

scaredwolf

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well, when you figure it out let me know eh? I just spent all night trying to get it to work, and no luck on my end. Vista is such a hassle when it comes to trying to play this, but not for any other.

scaredwolf

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
:oops: Well it has been proven that I am Mentally Retarded.

Here is the proof Click here

I had forgotten to re-update my video Drivers, ATI has an openGL emulator in the drivers and now I can play with the normal Vista troubles.

My advice to anyone who is having problems even getting the game to play is to check your drivers for updates.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Ah, I shall add that to the top post of the sticky.

scaredwolf

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
An Idea sprung to me (Rare occasion) What exactly is that cup thing in the screen shot? if its possible, simply remove that element if its not important? This Idea came to me when I was looking to make my own hud for MS:C, but then remembered my problems.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
That it be - the backpanel for the health panel. It's a little harder to track down and turn off that ms_lildude.

scaredwolf

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
Well, congrats to me, I somehow "Fixed" it to show the health, mana, wieght, and Stanima on screen, along with the red dude. Without having the great cup of doom. all I did was open the hud_main.tga file and removed the black in it to a transparent overlay. Upon loading my game it says there is a missing texture, but it displays the viles and bars.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Link the TGA up and maybe I'll add it as a download in the top post of the Vista sticky.

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Hmm... This seems to be a PSD file mis-named TGA... If you just delete the file from MSC, do you have the same effect?

scaredwolf

New Adventurer
Blades of Urdual
Alpha Tester
Reaction score
That it does, apparently just removing the hud allows the health stuffs to show up with no problems. darn...and I was going to make a cool Hud too...

Gaz

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
Reaction score
So save the PSD as a tga?

Thothie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MSC Archivist
Reaction score
Only reason it worked is that MSC couldn't load the PSD - if he fixes it, it'll likely have the same issue.

!=-PhoeniX-=!

New Adventurer
The True Followers of the Lost
Reaction score
i have vista but it doesnt even appear in my steam list and my computer is up to date

CrazyMonkeyDude

New Adventurer
MSC Developer
RiP
Reaction score
Did you install it correctly?

As in, extracting it and patching it while steam was off? That's a major reason why the game doesn't show up.